Better as an adult book

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Re: Better as an adult book

Post by Nym182 »

Amy747 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 07:30 I agree that darker topics are better for mature adult minds than impressionable teenage minds. I speak from experience when I say this, as a book thats too full on for its intended audience, can have traumatic consequences for its reader.
Especially cause these darker elements are really portrayed as "dark"... The Terry Event is simply used to showcase how bad Adam is and then the whole thing is dismissed after Carly burns his evidence... Probably not a good to show kids that sometimes they can get away with murder.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

writestuff wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 14:40 I fully agree here. I felt a little uncomfortable with this being for younger readers. I think ditch the middle ground and go full dark and make it an adult title.
Now that's what I am talking about haha
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

Nym182 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 08:39
gilliansisley wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 18:21
Nym182 wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:51

Right? I mean, like what you like but I just could not understand some of it's rave reviews... Especially since they would praise Adam and Carly's "love" or credit the "character development" Image
I ALWAYS check the reviews before starting a book, and I went into this thing with super high hopes, thinking it was going to be a fantastic read.

Started the first few pages and felt like I'd been "Fire Festivaled". I was promised an adventure-filled story, I got horny for mom. I was promised a magical love story, I got an emotionally abusive and toxic mess. I was promised character development, and I got a completely disgusting piece of crap who killed a girl.

This showed me the valuable lesson that some authors will pay for the synopsis to be professionally edited, but skip the extensive editing necessary for the book itself. I felt bamboozled and lied to.
It's like Twilight but with superpowers!
It's worse than Twilight, and I never thought I'd say that!!!
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I may not be used to reading a fantasy of lust, but I feel like the author did not hold back. Some of the sexual content might be too much for a 12-year old to read. Of course they might enjoy reading it, but how would the parents feel about that?
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

kdstrack wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 20:23 The idea of having a superpower will appeal to the young adult mind. Nevertheless, I was very uncomfortable with some of the scenes in this book as a YA novel. I would suggest that this book be called a New Adult novel.
Yes, it dealt with dark and mature themes suitable for an adult audience.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

rbrochhausen wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 18:59 I may not be used to reading a fantasy of lust, but I feel like the author did not hold back. Some of the sexual content might be too much for a 12-year old to read. Of course they might enjoy reading it, but how would the parents feel about that?
True, definitely not a book for 12-year-olds.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 08:42
Amy747 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 07:30 I agree that darker topics are better for mature adult minds than impressionable teenage minds. I speak from experience when I say this, as a book thats too full on for its intended audience, can have traumatic consequences for its reader.
Especially cause these darker elements are really portrayed as "dark"... The Terry Event is simply used to showcase how bad Adam is and then the whole thing is dismissed after Carly burns his evidence... Probably not a good to show kids that sometimes they can get away with murder.
Yeah, it should have shown that all actions must have consequences.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 11:54
KristyKhem wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 09:18 I agree that this book has inappropriate themes for the young adult audience. However, there may be some other reasons for this labeling.

Perhaps the author's reason for targeting this age group has more to do with marketing. Maybe book sales are higher among this age group? Nowadays, a lot of young adults seem interested in darker themes, both in books, TV series, and movies.

As for the author's potential, maybe she should have slowed the romance aspect of it, and definitely lean into a more full-fledged dark novel! But then she would have had to target a more mature audience...and maybe that would have had an impact on sales.
I like the idea of a darker novel especially based on Adam's character and the first part of the book. I think you are right regarding sales I remember some scandal last year with very popular author and book that was clearly adult but was promoted as YA. So sales matter and I guess YA is a popular genre. For me, this book was in some in-between space.
Yes, quoting a book as YA will get the sales up for you!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

gilliansisley wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 18:17
evraealtana wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:46
gilliansisley wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 14:08 I couldn't agree more with you on this. The heavy sexual undertones, the themes of kidnapping, rape, murder, and such are wildly inappropriate. And while this may not be a popular opinion, as so many people are raving it's 4-star quality, but I really did not enjoy this book, at all. The best I can give it is a 2.

... Adam is not a hero-- he's a garbage human being... In no universe is this a YA fiction novel.
I agree 100% on Every. Single. Point.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who felt this way; I have been surprised to read through the reactions and repeatedly see "yes, X was wrong, and Y was kinda messed up, and Z is questionable... but 4 out of 4 for SURE! Recommend to everyone!!!"
Truly, truly, truly. The 4 out of 4 stars, saying that this is the most bestest book ever and they can't wait to read the next book and I'm like, "Yo... did you get a different version of this book than me? One without the fantasizing about f*cking his mom, or the whole kidnapping and killing a young woman and pretending it just didn't happen?" How can anyone recommend this book to young readers!?

I just wanted to grab these people by the shoulders and demand how they weren't thoroughly disturbed by the beginning of this novel, and are they okay!?
I think X men had less adult themes than this one.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

gilliansisley wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 12:39

I ALWAYS check the reviews before starting a book, and I went into this thing with super high hopes, thinking it was going to be a fantastic read.

Started the first few pages and felt like I'd been "Fire Festivaled". I was promised an adventure-filled story, I got horny for mom. I was promised a magical love story, I got an emotionally abusive and toxic mess. I was promised character development, and I got a completely disgusting piece of crap who killed a girl.

This showed me the valuable lesson that some authors will pay for the synopsis to be professionally edited, but skip the extensive editing necessary for the book itself. I felt bamboozled and lied to.
No, you did not just trough in the Twilight diss?!! :shock2:

:lol: :lol: This is pure gold. I have to say I agree because some parts of Twilight did make sense but I haven't read it. So...
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

evraealtana wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 12:46

I agree 100% on Every. Single. Point.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who felt this way; I have been surprised to read through the reactions and repeatedly see "yes, X was wrong, and Y was kinda messed up, and Z is questionable... but 4 out of 4 for SURE! Recommend to everyone!!!"
Right? I mean, like what you like but I just could not understand some of it's rave reviews... Especially since they would praise Adam and Carly's "love" or credit the "character development" Image

Hire festivaled okay I am stealing this one for the future ...just so you know...
But on to serious note, I am noticing a lot of really high praising reviews and I am so so confused because that is not the book that I have read. Lets put aside all the cringe moments from the first part of the book but does for the sci-fi/fantasy readers out there the second part really REALLLY warrants 4 star rating? In the world of Holly Black, Leigh Bradugo, Tomi Adeyemi... I don't think so..
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 07:57
gilliansisley wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 12:39

No, you did not just trough in the Twilight diss?!! :shock2:

:lol: :lol: This is pure gold. I have to say I agree because some parts of Twilight did make sense but I haven't read it. So...
Truly do not rush to pick up a copy LOL.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:

Post by gilliansisley »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 08:03

Hire festivaled okay I am stealing this one for the future ...just so you know...
But on to serious note, I am noticing a lot of really high praising reviews and I am so so confused because that is not the book that I have read. Lets put aside all the cringe moments from the first part of the book but does for the sci-fi/fantasy readers out there the second part really REALLLY warrants 4 star rating? In the world of Holly Black, Leigh Bradugo, Tomi Adeyemi... I don't think so..
My theory is it's a hoard of family and friends who read the book and wanted to give their loved one a boost. That sh*t is a dangerous thing to do! That's like someone being like, "Hi Julie, have you met my cousin, Ted?" And you're like, girl I know you're family, but Ted Bundy is a serial killer so best not suggest your friend date him. Innocent people unnecessarily getting hurt!

Also please use that saying! I think I saw it on Twitter a few weeks back and I was like "Oh man this is going to be a verb in the Oxford dictionary one day!"
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

The dark and creepy parts of the book would have been great if the author would have really dug deep into them. The fact that the book was for young adults made me cringe as I read it, because some aspects of it definitely did not feel ideal for impressionable readers. It made the whole thing feel off for me, which made me enjoy it less. HOWEVER, a completely dark and creepy book without any holding back, with the same fantasy aspect of it, would be great!
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

gilliansisley wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 11:54
AntonelaMaria wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 08:03

My theory is it's a hoard of family and friends who read the book and wanted to give their loved one a boost. That sh*t is a dangerous thing to do! That's like someone being like, "Hi Julie, have you met my cousin, Ted?" And you're like, girl I know you're family, but Ted Bundy is a serial killer so best not suggest your friend date him. Innocent people unnecessarily getting hurt!

Also please use that saying! I think I saw it on Twitter a few weeks back and I was like "Oh man this is going to be a verb in the Oxford dictionary one day!"
I want to take a moment to appreciate all of you and what you have said. I thought I was losing my mind because wherever I looked the book had such great reviews. Full stars everywhere and I was like: what the hell is going on here? The book I read was creepy, a mess with incest and a toxic relationship. How is that full star rating quality?
I was seeing this book everywhere with great ratings, and me being a fantasy fan, I was super excited for it. It was bad. Bad.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”