Carly and Kane's friendship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: Carly and Kane's friendship

Post by Brenda Creech »

MrsMartinez wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 09:55 I agree! Kane knew she was in a relationship with Adam. I felt the slap was too harsh, but I guess it was a gut reaction on Carly's part.
You're right, It probably was a gut reaction. However, Carly should have said something when Kane sat so close to her on the couch and put his arm around her and she could have avoided the kiss! Kane should not have kissed her because he knew she was in a committed relationship!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Harsh Prajapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-prajapati.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Harsh Prajapati »

I don't think Carly was trying to get his attentions because while she did wear the pink sweater and snuggled with him(though it was a bit far), in an earlier scene she had made sure to wear socks to fend off Kane's foot fetish.
writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

I think it was a cry for help, but Carly felt too guilty or even scared to pull it off.
SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

I was surprised when she referred to Kane as her best friend. At the start we only see her and Kane through Adam’s POV so I didn’t realise they were so close. But then Kane’s foot fetish comes out of nowhere so I wonder if some part of Kane’s involvement in the story got chopped in an earlier draft.

When she started working with Kane at the store I thought it was a prelude to finding out more about Terry but that never happened.
“You know, for kids!”
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think she was perfectly justified. Kane touched Carly in a way she didn't like, so she touched him in a way he didn't like. It's not necessarily "right," but an eye for an eye and all that. Plus, since she regretted it so badly, it seems more a reaction than a deliberate act. However, it never should have gotten to that point. Carly could have been much clearer about being just friends with him. She obviously knew he had feelings for her. On the other hand, Kane should also have been much clearer. He knew she was with Adam. If either of them had just used their words, it would have been better. But that's part of why this is young adult I guess.
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

B Creech wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 16:18 Carly and Kane formed a close friendship and hung out together sometimes. Kane knew that Carly and Adam were a couple, but he kept hoping Carly would fall for him. The night her aunt was out of town, and Carly invited Kane over for dinner, and he kissed her, was she justified in her reaction of slapping him? Or do you feel she brought it on herself? I feel like she dressed to get his attention with her pink off-the-shoulder sweater. They snuggled up together on the couch, so when he was leaving and kissed her before he went out the door, and she slapped him, I felt like it was a little too harsh. What are your thoughts on this? Was Carly right in how she handled the kiss? Was there a better way to handle the situation between friends?
Honestly, it didn’t even cross my mind that she was dressing in any way provocative. What I did find weird was how okay she was with the snuggling together in the couch, she should have put a stop to that from the start. But she had all the right to slap him. Kane knew, she was with Adam, so what if they hung out together alone, so what if they sat together on a couch. Kane was out of line, but I agree that Carly had to set the boundaries way before the dinner that night.
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

nfdoughe wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 16:25 I think she was perfectly justified. Kane touched Carly in a way she didn't like, so she touched him in a way he didn't like. It's not necessarily "right," but an eye for an eye and all that. Plus, since she regretted it so badly, it seems more a reaction than a deliberate act. However, it never should have gotten to that point. Carly could have been much clearer about being just friends with him. She obviously knew he had feelings for her. On the other hand, Kane should also have been much clearer. He knew she was with Adam. If either of them had just used their words, it would have been better. But that's part of why this is young adult I guess.
It did feel like a reaction from Carly. But honestly, Kane knew she was with Adam, like he should have known. I agree with you that she was completely justified. What bugs me is that Carly should have been clear with Kane from the very beginning, the boundaries and limits should have been set from the start.
Harsh Prajapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-prajapati.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Harsh Prajapati »

Harsh Prajapati wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 02:50 I don't think Carly was trying to get his attentions because while she did wear the pink sweater and snuggled with him(though it was a bit far), in an earlier scene she had made sure to wear socks to fend off Kane's foot fetish.
Though that foot fetish was sprung up quite abruptly and never mentioned again (however there wasn't any specific need). I think the main point of bringing it into story was only to show that Carly was trying to deflect his attention in any romantic way.
But then again she didn't exactly stop him from snuggling in the couch. I think that would have easily been taken by any teenager as a kind or hint or approval for escalating a friendship.
In the end she miscalculated his feelings for her and it backfired.
I think author just wished to create that scene without painting any of the teen to be 'at fault' for what happened. Since they had to be friends again. The scene did propagate Alan's character development by showing that he could now manage his temper and cared about Carly loosing her best friend.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tan TR wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 18:20
B Creech wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 16:18 Carly and Kane formed a close friendship and hung out together sometimes. Kane knew that Carly and Adam were a couple, but he kept hoping Carly would fall for him. The night her aunt was out of town, and Carly invited Kane over for dinner, and he kissed her, was she justified in her reaction of slapping him? Or do you feel she brought it on herself? I feel like she dressed to get his attention with her pink off-the-shoulder sweater. They snuggled up together on the couch, so when he was leaving and kissed her before he went out the door, and she slapped him, I felt like it was a little too harsh. What are your thoughts on this? Was Carly right in how she handled the kiss? Was there a better way to handle the situation between friends?
Honestly, it didn’t even cross my mind that she was dressing in any way provocative. What I did find weird was how okay she was with the snuggling together in the couch, she should have put a stop to that from the start. But she had all the right to slap him. Kane knew, she was with Adam, so what if they hung out together alone, so what if they sat together on a couch. Kane was out of line, but I agree that Carly had to set the boundaries way before the dinner that night.
Exactly! Setting boundaries before he came to dinner would have saved them both a lot of emotional pain!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tan TR wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 18:23
nfdoughe wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 16:25 I think she was perfectly justified. Kane touched Carly in a way she didn't like, so she touched him in a way he didn't like. It's not necessarily "right," but an eye for an eye and all that. Plus, since she regretted it so badly, it seems more a reaction than a deliberate act. However, it never should have gotten to that point. Carly could have been much clearer about being just friends with him. She obviously knew he had feelings for her. On the other hand, Kane should also have been much clearer. He knew she was with Adam. If either of them had just used their words, it would have been better. But that's part of why this is young adult I guess.
It did feel like a reaction from Carly. But honestly, Kane knew she was with Adam, like he should have known. I agree with you that she was completely justified. What bugs me is that Carly should have been clear with Kane from the very beginning, the boundaries and limits should have been set from the start.
I so agree! Since she hadn't set boundaries before she invited him she definitely should have when she started feeling uncomfortable after dinner. However, she just went along with watching something on TV and letting him sit close with his arm around her! And, if it was just an innocent dinner between friends why did she make sure he left before Adam got there?
B. Creech
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

Carly was probably too friendly and familiar with Kane considering she is in a relationship and she knows that Kane has feelings for her. Inviting him for dinner where it's just the two of them and then snuggling on the couch? That's like an open invitation for more, I think. I can see how Kane would get the wrong idea.
mama_ash
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mama-ash_1063445.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by mama_ash »

I thought this relationship was too involved for Carly being in a relationship. I don't think she asked for the kiss, but the one-on-one dinner was inappropriate, as was the "cuddling" on the couch. Her slap was definitely justified, he crossed a line!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

To be honest, I felt the scene was completely unrealistic. As you mentioned, Carly gave Kane all the signs that they coul move on to the next level and all of a sudden she acts offended when he kisses her. Rather strange, if you ask me.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 05:19 To be honest, I felt the scene was completely unrealistic. As you mentioned, Carly gave Kane all the signs that they coul move on to the next level and all of a sudden she acts offended when he kisses her. Rather strange, if you ask me.
As this scene is seen from Carly's narrative point of view, I did not feel as if she gave him any indications that it was okay for him to kiss her. I think she was totally justified in slapping him.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Harsh Prajapati wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 02:50 I don't think Carly was trying to get his attentions because while she did wear the pink sweater and snuggled with him(though it was a bit far), in an earlier scene she had made sure to wear socks to fend off Kane's foot fetish.
True. I can't help but wonder how she knew Kane had a foot fetish! As they were just friends, how did she find that out? I found that part rather strange!
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”