Did your views on guns change?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Dark Bliss by Shay Mills

Re: Did your views on guns change?

Post by Prisallen »

My views haven't changed since I basically agree with the author. I agree that guns should be harder to get.

KCWolf
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 21
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Wind's of Fate
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I'm only half-way through the book, thus far my views have not changed. I have always been fairly open-minded on the issue; though I feel that they are hazardous when in the wrong hands.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Redemption Trails.
Binge Reading: Mercedes Lackey
Recent Binge watch: Twilight Saga, Agatha Christie's Marple, Westworld

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by maggi3 »

This book did not change my views on guns. I already agreed with what the author was saying, but it brought up new issues for me to think about. For example, the idea that police have to assume that everyone they come into contact with has a gun which makes them more likely to make rash decisions is something I hadn’t considered. I feel like someone who is strongly pro gun might start to consider new issues while reading this book, but they probably won’t change their overall belief. At the end of the day, this is fiction, and it is dramatized to some extent.

Atara Miles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atara-miles.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Atara Miles »

My views remained the same. I still think that there's no way the ownership and use of guns is gonna be stopped any time in the next century, quite possibly until something more advanced and destructive comes along. I'm still of the opinion that certain changes need to be made to the licensing system and laws refined to keep up with these changes, and the selection process for those who are allowed to carry guns more thorough.

Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: The Alchemist Web..a path to enlightenment... by Anthony John Toledo

Post by Namaste23 »

My opinion on gun control didnt change but it did make it stronger. Reading stories of shootings, even though they were fictional, made me more aware of what people are capable of and how putting guns in their hands is probably not the best idea.

Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

Actually what I always believe is guns are harmful. So there was nothing left in my mind to be changed regarding the guns. I never dream to own a gun for myself and would like to ask the gun owners to use the guns just for the sake of self defence, but not to kill others.

Mounce574
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: One Child
Currently Reading: Exhale
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mounce574.html
Latest Review: Girl with the Flat Tire by Leon Loy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mounce574 »

No. I believe wholeheartedly in our Second Amendment Rights and feel that the author was very negative about gun ownership. I am also in the belief that guns don't kill people, people kill people. The rules that apply for gun ownership are strict but that doesn't stop criminals from still getting them.
I personally own several guns and at no point have I ever considered murdering someone. If my life and my family's life is at risk I will not hesitate to defend myself with deadly force. The biggest issue I see is people pull the gun and wave it around like that is power over people. I was trained that if I pull my weapon to pull the trigger. I believe that guns should be used as a last resort for self-defense, hunting in the case of rifles, and firing range training.
I cannot change the past because it is gone and I cannot tell what tomorrow will be like as it has not happened. What I can do is live today as life is happening now.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”