Writing for Money vs. Writing for pleasure

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
L1th3rl+and
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)

Re: Writing for Money vs. Writing for pleasure

Post by L1th3rl+and »

An interesting question. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the luxury of a choice. We write because we are driven to write, because we have a story to tell, because there is something in us which must be communicated - and we make very little or nothing. For me, readership is the most important thing. I forget who it was that said, without readers books are just marks on a page, but it's true. That's why sites like this are so important and why even the supportive comments of one appreciative reader matter so much.
It's also why I try to read Indie books whenever time permits, usually a couple a month.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

I'd say there's a significant difference. When writing for income, you're catering to an audience. When writing for pleasure, you're writing for yourself, to express thoughts or to make something you'd want to read. At least, that's how I look at it.
Sadly, we rarely get the time to do both.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I think it's very hard to write if you don't enjoy what you're doing. Remember how it felt to write up reports for boring topics in school? It's the same thing, more or less--while some people write for money (and there's nothing wrong with that, especially because supporting yourself through the arts is so difficult for the average writer!), it's tedious if there isn't at least some joy in it. To some degree, in my opinion, there's a mixture of motivations.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

When you write just for getting a quick buck, you tend to lose yourself and just writing the things you aren't passionate about. When you are writing something that you actually care about, it's always satisfying. You may not get paid more when you write for pleasure (It's like a 50/50 gamble), it's always better than trying to chase the latest trend.

You write what you want. At least, that's what I think.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

I want to do both. I write for myself, but always had a dream of selling my books too. I think the key is to try selling books that you enjoy writing.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

adamgreenrock wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 10:43 When you write just for getting a quick buck, you tend to lose yourself and just writing the things you aren't passionate about. When you are writing something that you actually care about, it's always satisfying. You may not get paid more when you write for pleasure (It's like a 50/50 gamble), it's always better than trying to chase the latest trend.

You write what you want. At least, that's what I think.
I agree. Although I want to write for money, I don't want that to be the main reason I create things. After all, that's what my day job is for.
Amanda Majors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-majors.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Amanda Majors »

I write for pleasure, because the money is not guaranteed. If you have a formula that normally spits out enough cash to pay the bills, then that works too.
lunablue_x3
Currently Reading: Phenomenology of Perception
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunablue-x3.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by lunablue_x3 »

What matters most to me is having exposure for my work. I don't write just for myself. I primarily write for others. I'm sharing my imagination to be interpreted by other individuals. I want to expose people to a different perception.
That being said, I don't give my work away for free. The pieces have value.
lunablue_x3
Currently Reading: Phenomenology of Perception
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunablue-x3.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by lunablue_x3 »

sevencrows wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 08:03 I think it's very hard to write if you don't enjoy what you're doing. Remember how it felt to write up reports for boring topics in school? It's the same thing, more or less--while some people write for money (and there's nothing wrong with that, especially because supporting yourself through the arts is so difficult for the average writer!), it's tedious if there isn't at least some joy in it. To some degree, in my opinion, there's a mixture of motivations.
I agree!

Return to “Writing Discussion”