Did you grow up reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jazzygirl625
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazzygirl625.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Re: Did you grow up reading?

Post by jazzygirl625 »

Growing up, I was never super into reading. I could read fast and well (according to school reading comprehension exams), but never got terribly into it. I think that part of the issue was that my school limited which books you were allowed to check out by age and not reading level, so most of the books I had access to were boring to me.
However, I did enjoy reading more complicated books when I did get a hold of them, so my parents took advantage of that. My dad and I read all of the Chronicles of Narnia when I was seven, and we would always have an "advanced" book to read a chapter or two before bed time after that. I didn't begin reading on my own until I was in seventh grade. My parents and I had watched all of the Harry Potter movies that were out at that point, and I wanted to read the source material. After that, I began reading some for fun. The book the Giver, from my eighth grade English class, though, was the book that sent me into a reading frenzy.
kathey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by kathey »

I grew up reading and I'd read tons and tons of books. I found reading to be a really great past time.
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

kathey wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 03:39 I grew up reading and I'd read tons and tons of books. I found reading to be a really great past time.
So did I! I can't remember a time when my head wasn't buried in a book
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

jazzygirl625 wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 20:25 Growing up, I was never super into reading. I could read fast and well (according to school reading comprehension exams), but never got terribly into it. I think that part of the issue was that my school limited which books you were allowed to check out by age and not reading level, so most of the books I had access to were boring to me.
However, I did enjoy reading more complicated books when I did get a hold of them, so my parents took advantage of that. My dad and I read all of the Chronicles of Narnia when I was seven, and we would always have an "advanced" book to read a chapter or two before bed time after that. I didn't begin reading on my own until I was in seventh grade. My parents and I had watched all of the Harry Potter movies that were out at that point, and I wanted to read the source material. After that, I began reading some for fun. The book the Giver, from my eighth grade English class, though, was the book that sent me into a reading frenzy.
I also remember reading the Chronicles of Narnia when I grew up, I took it in turns reading it with family
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I definitely grew up reading. I was always reading fairy tales when I was little, then graduated to classics like Charlotte's Web, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, and The Hobbit.
In my teens I read everything from SE Hinton to Shakespeare.

I started writing in college, and that's when I decided my favorite genre was fantasy, and I immersed myself in reading and writing that genre.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

I loved to read stories since I was a kid. Then later I shifted to non-fiction books. And these days I am in love with poetry books.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Yes. I just loved reading ever since I was a kid. I actually chose reading over other kids' company.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

Yes, I grew up reading whatever I could get. Magazines, newspapers, editorials, storybooks, novels. The habit has impacted me a lot in shaping my life.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I grew up reading. I used to read multiple books a week because I was so obsessed with reading.
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

I didn't start love reading until I was about seven...I had went to live with my uncle and since I couldn't keep up with his large family many activities and chatter I started burrying myself in his many books...
He didn't love it and always called me out 'to be like the other kids'
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

I grew up a reader because my parents made it a priority. All of my siblings are the same way, but I guess that's how frequent library trips and readers for parents makes you turn out.
SnehaaY
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SnehaaY »

Yes, I grow up with reading. I like to read novels too much and I am glad when I started reading I got a library in my hometown and there were too many novels which were very great and encouraging.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I grew up reading. My uncle used to read a lot and I picked up the habit from him. I am really thankful to him that he introduced me to books. Books have been a part of my life since I was 10 years old.
LADYCOMET2010
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by LADYCOMET2010 »

Yes reading was and still is a big part of my life and I've handed down to my children and grandkids as well
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I grew up reading anything I could get my hands on. I was always reading and had a group of friends that loved to read too!
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”