Is anyone else uncomfortable with romance?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Allybear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is anyone else uncomfortable with romance?

Post by Allybear »

It really depends what type of romance book you choose to read. If they are historical romance or suspenseful romance they most likely will be tame. But if you pick up a book that is more in the erotic genre it will likely contain some steamy scenes. That’s why I like finding e-books because they are usually pretty good about telling you what type of genre it is plus any reviews from others who have read the books.
Prudence Emillian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerrypru.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Prudence Emillian »

I have read books that do that and I also find it uncomfortable.
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

I normally don't mind the graphic parts of books but if you want to avoid them I'd check out GoodReads first and maybe see some of the reviews! They should let you know how overly sexual they are.
CnderAngel
Favorite Author: Janet McNulty
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnderangel.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
fav_author_id: 15021

Post by CnderAngel »

Yes! I do and same! Especially if it goes way too much into detail... I get so uncomfortable, I ended up regretting reading that part of the book. Like my first book review... oh gosh, never again. Anyway glad I aren't the only one here.
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

Not really. The only time I feel uncomfortable reading romance is when it is forced or when the feelings were purely infatuation mistaken as love. Character naivety is also a big no-no for me when it comes to romance books.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I am uncomfortable with it in real life but not when it comes to books, movies, manga.....
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

When explained in a believable way, I like romance. I'm not a fan of erotica or period drama though. They're too unrealistic and silly for me. The love scenes have to be tasteful or advance a relationship some way.
JaeBlessing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JaeBlessing »

The cleaner the better, as far as I am concerned. It is always so refreshing to find a story that is like all those sweet Hallmark shows. And the only books that I have ever read that are sweet and clean are usually the YA and Christian fiction genres. Robin Jones Gunn is a good author to look up. Her stories from the Glenbrooke Series are how I was introduced to Christian fiction. My favorite ones of that series are "Whispers" and "Echoes". Sweet stories. :)
Last edited by gali on 28 Dec 2019, 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
Avidreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Avidreader01 »

I love, love, love romance novels. Unfortunately, I don't read them half as much as I would want to. I love the drama and the excitement of the characters falling in love, then I love the journey that follows. I don't want the erotica but I want the blow-by-blow action of characters making love, as they take you along their journey, taking me places where I really would like to go.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

I too feel uncomfortable but I think it mostly depends on the way the author has handled such topics. In some books, romance adds to the story and in books, it feels like the romance was forced.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I don't dislike the romance part, I do dislike the erotic part. I think it's cute to see characters fall in love and have relationships. I don't want to hear about all their under the covers stuff. They can have that between themselves alone.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

Some authors write truly horrible 'intimate' scenes, but some I can stomach. I like romance that has other focuses as well -- the show Jane the Virgin is a good example; it's a romance at it's heart, and it has a love triangle, both tropes that I usually turn my nose up against, but the rest of the drama kept me hooked and got me to enjoy the romance more.
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Well, I do like elements of romance when incorporated well into the story, but I have to say that I always enjoy the action / adventure aspects of the plot more. When it comes to explicit scenes, I'm completely fine with them. It may just be because I'm shameless (haha) and not easily embarrassed, but if done right, I think explicit scenes can be extremely well written and contribute to the quality of a book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”