Book-to-movie review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians~ The Lightning Thief

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
Moodykelz_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: Book-to-movie review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians~ The Lightning Thief

Post by Moodykelz_10 »

I couldn't agree more with you, the films leave you feeling a little flat I think because the books are so much better and they really are perfectly written the films themselves are a little basic. I think even the newer books with the Roman and Greek Gods and the war they have, it could of been made into something a lot more epic.

If I am honest it had the potential to be up there with Harry Potter and it just failed. The films themselves are OK but that is at best.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

It's a struggle when you're a book lover who just so happens to like movies and, as a consequence, books made into movies. I actually watched the movie before reading the book and was extremely surprised that they were so different. I found the book more interesting but probably because I watched the movie first, I didn't find it to be all that bad as compared to The Sea of Monsters which was just downright horrible.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I haven't read the book, yet the movie was disappointing in my opinion.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad »

apINKpanda21 wrote: 30 May 2018, 09:17 I feel you~ Even The Sea of Monsters movie adaptation was disappointing. No wonder they stopped after two installments. But I heard a fan-made film for the third book is set for this year.
Ugh, totally agreed! I had high hopes for Lightning Thief as it was Chris Colombus'. Sea of Monsters was blasphemy. And yes, the third movie was scrapped, the last I heard. But, they have gone ahead with a musical and get this, Rick Riordan approves!
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman

Return to “Films and Books”