Official Review: The Girl in the Yellow Scarf (Opus Serie...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: The Girl in the Yellow Scarf (Opus Serie...

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Girl in the Yellow Scarf (Opus Series Book 1)" by C. Ray Frigard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

New York City is a place that is brimming with talent, but Mike can’t seem to catch a break. He had hoped to make a career out of playing the piano, but the future is looking bleak. One day he is volunteering in the local soup kitchen, and he hears the most beautiful sound—the voice of an angel. Singing sweetly to herself is Sarah, a young homeless woman. Mike strikes up a conversation with her and feels an instant connection. He begs her to sing with him, and a dynamic duo is born.

As Mike learns more about Sarah’s haunting past, it unlocks the creativity within him. He is on the verge of creating a masterpiece, and it is all thanks to his muse. They begin getting nightly gigs at a bar. Sarah can finally get off the streets and afford a small apartment. Unfortunately, the extra money is not enough to get her health under control. Her eyesight is failing, and her body is weakening from diabetes.

Will Sarah and Mike continue to make beautiful music, or will Sarah succumb to her illness?

The Girl in the Yellow Scarf (Opus Series Book 1) by C. Ray Frigard is a beautifully written story about two people who are desperate to pursue their dreams. The book is written from the third-person perspective and alternates between Mike and Sarah. By providing the alternate views, it gave me the ability to connect with both of the characters.

When I began to read this book, I quickly found myself immersed in the story. I was transported to the busy streets of New York City, where I took in all of the sights and sounds. I felt as though I was sitting beside Mike as he played the lovely melodies accompanied by Sarah. The author did a fantastic job of expressing the emotions that emerged from the songs that the duo performed together. Their rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow was my favorite. The writing flowed freely, and each word was beautifully strung together, creating a memorable story.

Besides being swept off my feet by the writing, my favorite part of the book was Mike’s fascination with Sarah. It was evident from the beginning that it wasn’t only physical attraction, and he was drawn to her on a deeper level. I could feel his heart swell every time he listened to her sing. He admired her talent and was in love with the way she made him feel. He said, “Gazing at her as she held the last note, he pondered what had gone into the making of this fabulous instrument. It was way more than a talent or a gift; it was unique because of who she was.”

While the main characters held a special place in my heart, I feel that I should mention some of the memorable supporting characters. Jesse, an aspiring writer, quickly became good friends with Mike as they bonded over beers and girls. He was a devoted friend and would do anything for Mike, even if that meant risking his own life. Another character who left a lasting impression on me was Sarah’s grandma, who she referred to as Grandma Mae. Although Grandma Mae had passed, her prayers and useful advice made a profound impact on Sarah.

I spent a lot of time digesting the book and trying to find something that I didn’t like about it; I came up empty-handed. The Girl in the Yellow Scarf (Opus Series Book 1) checked off all the boxes and left me feeling inspired. The book was professionally edited, and I found no spelling or grammatical errors. I chose to give the book 4 out of 4 stars and would happily recommend it to audiences young and old. Readers who are fans of character-driven stories will fall in love with Mike and Sarah. If you possess a strong passion for the arts, this book should be on your list!

I would be hesitant to recommend this book to readers who are looking for a light romantic story; the book is heavily laced with emotion. It deals with weighty topics that might want to be avoided by a sensitive reader.

The Girl in the Yellow Scarf (Opus Series Book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I DO possess a strong passion for the arts, and I'm intrigued by your description of the characters. Thanks for the recommendation!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds fabulous. Mike and Sarah seem like interesting characters that are easy to relate to. I love that they team up and I hope that Sarah can get her health under control. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I love books that have enough detail to really pull you into the setting. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It seems as if you can hear the music through the writing! Thank you for a wonderful review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 20:03 Wow! This sounds fabulous. Mike and Sarah seem like interesting characters that are easy to relate to. I love that they team up and I hope that Sarah can get her health under control. Thanks!
Yes, it was a pleasure watching their musical relationship bloom. Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

MsH2k wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 00:47 It seems as if you can hear the music through the writing! Thank you for a wonderful review.
I totally could! I felt like I was in a dark, smoky club tucked away in New York listening to them. Thanks!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Letora wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 20:04 I love books that have enough detail to really pull you into the setting. Great review!
So very happy I found this book! Thanks.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Cecilia_L wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 16:51 I DO possess a strong passion for the arts, and I'm intrigued by your description of the characters. Thanks for the recommendation!
Then, this one is definitely for you! Thanks.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

Ah what an intriguing premise! Sounds like it's one of those stories that can go either way, absolutely warm you to the heart or tear it apart. Also, the setting of New York seems to do so much for the story. Looks like the author's done very well on this one.
Thank you for your brilliant review.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

This sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review.
Stephanie Elizabeth

La Cabra wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 09:48 Ah what an intriguing premise! Sounds like it's one of those stories that can go either way, absolutely warm you to the heart or tear it apart. Also, the setting of New York seems to do so much for the story. Looks like the author's done very well on this one.
Thank you for your brilliant review.
The author definitely won me over. Thank you for your comment.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Miller56 wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 12:53 This sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review.
Thanks!
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Can't wait to pick this up. By your review, it sounds amazing!
Spencer Mack
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the power of spontaneity, like the way Sarah and Mike meet. It's also good that their meeting helps improve their individual lives. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”