Official Review: Letters From St Nicholas by Ozar Mark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Letters From St Nicholas by Ozar Mark

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Letters From St Nicholas" by Ozar Mark.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nicholas Gunderson’s life was going great. He had a beautiful wife and was an associate pastor to a church in Chicago. But when Nicholas attends a meeting at a bar, his life spirals out of control. He loses everything and realizes his need to surrender completely to God. He then gets a job working for another church as their janitor, and that is where he meets Ernie, an angel sent from God to give him a special assignment. Nicholas accepts the call and joins the St. Nicholas Society, a group that does good deeds anonymously. 

Ozark Mark gives a creative twist on the St. Nicholas tale in his book Letters From St. Nicholas. Mark flips the traditional beliefs of Santa into promoting Christian themes and the real reason behind Christmas. Children send letters to Santa each Christmas, but it is Mark’s character, Nicholas, who sends letters to people he knows. The fabled Santa has his list of naughty and nice, while Nicholas in this story has a prayer list. Although Santa stories are usually marked for children, this book is geared for adults. In Nicholas’s letters, some issues he talks about are addictions, incarceration, and teen pregnancy. The author covers various problems that not only individuals go through but also churches. I especially thought the chapter on a congregation fighting over if they should have traditional or contemporary worship music would be relatable to many.

My most favorite part of the book is how the author highlights the pastoral role. I have a family member who is a senior pastor, and I have worked closely with others in ministry. It is not a nine-to-five job, and it is not for the faint of heart! Family time gets interrupted, emergency calls come late at night, and dealings with church politics and conflicts are always part of the job. Nicholas exemplifies how complex a pastor’s life can be, but he also exudes the grace and love one needs for that position. 

There were several problems I think needs to be addressed in this book, though. First, the concept of the St. Nicholas Society was underdeveloped. When he first enters it, Nicholas travels to a sprawling estate and take classes that prepare him for his assignment. What were these classes about? The author never says. By the end of the book, it was still a mystery to me why this society was special. Nicholas’s assignment and what he deals with is nothing out of the ordinary for a pastor or a Christian. The only extraordinary thing that happens to him is talking to an angel named Ernie on several occasions. Second, each chapter is in Nicholas’s point of view, but unfortunately, they appear out of order. Nicholas signs his first couple of letters “St. Nicholas” before he describes later in another chapter how he got this nickname from his parishioners. There were also over ten errors in the book. These consisted of mainly missing quotation marks or words.

Overall, I enjoyed this work and its unique take on St. Nicholas. Mark presents the Gospel and what really matters in a Christian’s life well. I give Letters From St. Nicholas 3 out of 4 stars. Anyone who is of the Christian faith or who like untraditional stories about Santa would want to read this book.

Letters From St Nicholas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

I don't think I've ever read a book about a pastor so I really have nothing to compare this with in my mind. But your review was very well written, thanks.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks a lot for the engaging review. I hope that the concerns you have raised about the book, especially issues with editing, will be addressed.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Perfect time of year to read a story like this. We all need a reminder for what the holiday season is all about! SOunds like a great read from your awesome review!
Spencer Mack
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Too bad for the poor editing even though the storyline sounds interesting. I love secret society books I don't think I ever read a book where they do good. Great review!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Letters From St Nicholas is much different than other Santa books that I have read. I think that the idea of using a pastor as a goodwill giver is unique and should not be overlooked. Great job on this review, thank you very much! :D
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a unique way to present the true message of Christmas. There are some aspects that could be developed (Ernie), but overall, it sounds like an engaging read. Thanks for the recommendation!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”