Official Review: Milkshake Molly by Christie R Watkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Milkshake Molly by Christie R Watkins

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Milkshake Molly" by Christie R Watkins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

People can be jerks, especially when there's something different about you. In Milkshake Molly's case, the different thing is as clear as day: she has a milkshake-shaped birthmark on her face. At first, the birthmark was a source of inspiration as Milkshake Molly would draw all kinds of milkshakes. But once she started going to school, she started to hate her birthmark because everyone picked on her for it.

Milkshake Molly by Christie R Watkins is a short children's picture book about learning to embrace what makes us unique and overcoming bullies and naysayers. All it takes is one outgoing, friendly girl to befriend her and show her that life can be great. Dolia encourages Milkshake Molly to ignore the haters, and the two of them start selling delicious, homemade milkshakes. Suddenly the people who were so quick to mock her are eager customers who crave her shakes!

I really liked the assortment of lessons that Milkshake Molly teaches readers. The book teaches kids to ignore mean-spirited people and negative comments. It also inspires them to be kind, friendly people by showing how easily Dolia turns Milkshake Molly's life around. It also shows just how much power negative words and insults can have. Anything that discourages bullying and promotes goodness in people is great as far as I'm concerned!

Milkshake Molly has fifteen full-color images, and the art is cartoony and cute. Unfortunately, the font could've used a lot of improvement. It's yellow regardless of what color is behind it, and for some reason, many of the letters aren't bordered properly. This made reading the words difficult at the best of times and physically painful at the worst. Hopefully, the paperback version does a better job with the font than the Kindle version. On the bright side, I didn't notice any grammatical mistakes at all!

I liked Milkshake Molly, but the font alone is enough for me to knock a star off of my rating. As such, my rating of the book is 3 out of 4 stars. I'd still recommend it to early readers and parents who are looking for a story to read with their kids, especially if they like milkshakes!

Milkshake Molly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I love milkshakes and I'm always looking for indie authors to put in my classroom library! Thanks for the awesome review!
Spencer Mack
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like an amazing book to teach children about self-esteem and to avoid those who try to bring you down. The font issues is unfortunate, but with another round of editing it should be great.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I loved that Milkshake Molly not only overcame her haters, but embraced and capitalized on her uniqueness. This sounds like a wonderful book! Thanks for your review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

The author sure picked a unique quirk, a milkshake shaped birthmark haha. Kids love that sort of thing; great way to get a really important lesson across to the kids reading. Thanks for your honest review.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Thank you for your honest review. The cover of this is adorable. This can teach kids that they should love themselves and ignore haters.
Book 1st
Currently Reading: Beans...Finding My Way Home
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Book 1st »

I wish I had this book to read when I was a child. I also have a birthmark on my face. Milkshake Molly would have helped me be more positive about my birthmark. Even as an adult I still get bullied about it. Milkshake Molly has made me fill much better about my appearance.

Return to “Children's Books”