Official Review: Exceedingly by Anita Agers-Brooks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Exceedingly by Anita Agers-Brooks

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Exceedingly" by Anita Agers-Brooks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Is anxiety keeping you up at night? Are you living the dreams that God has placed in your heart, or are there still untended dreams lying in the soil of your soul?"

These are a few of the questions that Anita Agers-Brooks addresses in her inspirational guide, Exceedingly: Spiritual Strategies for Living on Purpose, with Purpose, and for an Abundant Purpose. Agers-Brooks examines what abundant living looks like and offers powerful insights on fulfilling a passionate purpose. Through true stories, supporting scriptures, and examples from her personal journey, she illustrates how readers can find the significance they seek. Agers-Brooks clarifies that God's promises aren't dependent on social status. Instead, we must believe and learn to view ourselves through God's eyes.

I read quite a few books in this genre, and I must confess that many leave me disappointed; spiritual self-help books don't always ring true. As Beyond Beautiful podcast host Becky Harling so aptly puts it, I "want to be sure the person who wrote the book has actually experienced a few problems." Agers-Brooks refers to "being cured in the oven of adversity" and credits these experiences for increasing her compassion, understanding, and wisdom for how to help others. The author's authentic approach sets this book apart from others promising an abundant life. Agers-Brooks is not just another author "presenting an unrealistic plan for a safe, problem-free life." She challenges readers to respond with gratitude, purpose, and passion despite inevitable bumps in the road.

In addition to Agers-Brooks' down-to-earth writing style and emphasis on gratitude, I also like the segments at the end of each chapter called "Mind, Body, and Spirit Strengtheners." Concluding chapters with abundant purpose challenges, exercises, scriptures, promises, and discussion prompts makes the book ideal for journaling, personal reflection, or as a group Bible study. For instance, here's a discussion prompt that speaks to my heart: "Are you grumbling and complaining about delays, or are you looking for the lessons, miracles, and beauty in the scenic route God is taking you on?"

I honestly can't name anything I dislike or suggest any improvements for this well-written and uplifting book. It is exceptionally edited and contains no profanity. I'm pleased to rate Exceedingly 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to Christian readers, particularly those who enjoy journaling and Bible study, and those who are so inclined will appreciate the contemplative segments at the end of each chapter. The book will also appeal to readers seeking significance in their lives. Country music fans will enjoy the author's account of her meaningful encounter with the late Troy Gentry.

Exceedingly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sydney Nyamasoka
Currently Reading: The 1000 most important questions you will ever ask yourself
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

That sounds realistic and practical. Thanks Cecilia for the great review. I should try this book.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy and appreciate. Thank you for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sydney Nyamasoka wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 07:47 That sounds realistic and practical. Thanks Cecilia for the great review. I should try this book.
Thank you, Sydney.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

:arrow:
MsH2k wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 13:17 This sounds like a book I would enjoy and appreciate. Thank you for a great review!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that the author has been through adversity herself. That helps solidify the message in my mind. Still, I don't think I'm at the place in my life I could appreciate this book now. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

While I am not a Christian reader, your review makes me think I could still take away from such an account. Like you, I have come across a number of less-than-fulfilling spiritual books, it's refreshing to see a good one out there every now and then.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Nov 2019, 21:06 I'm glad that the author has been through adversity herself. That helps solidify the message in my mind. Still, I don't think I'm at the place in my life I could appreciate this book now. Thanks for the review, though.
That's a good point, and I agree. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

La Cabra wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 01:27 While I am not a Christian reader, your review makes me think I could still take away from such an account. Like you, I have come across a number of less-than-fulfilling spiritual books, it's refreshing to see a good one out there every now and then.
I feel the author addresses some issues that are universal and provides practical advice that could help others, so I appreciate your comment. Thanks for sharing.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It's not the kind of thing I'm interested in, but there seems to be a lot one can get out of this, particularly since there are some lessons born of adversity that are universal. Thanks for the review of this.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

An inspiring book like this should be given a standing ovation. But I know the feeling if some would not even give it a look. Because lots of lots of book nowadays have written without component of personal experience. Hope this book is different. Looking forward to read this book. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I loved that opening quote! The author's comment about looking for "God's scenic route" in life is a unique perspective. I appreciated your comparison with other books of this genre. This looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

This is the book that I'm wishing to read. The Christians, I'm a bit sure that they will be guided by this book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”