Official Review: Hairables by Roxanne Walker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Hairables by Roxanne Walker

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hairables" by Roxanne Walker.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All over the city, people are showering. While they shower, some of their hair falls off and goes down the drain. What happens to all that hair? Hairables, written by Roxanne M. Walker, is a unique children’s book that answers that question. In this story, we meet the hairables, a group of creatures created from that very hair. Hairables come in all colors and styles. Their lives are about to change, as a drought has caused their home in the sewers to begin drying up. One day, they notice a tunnel that leads up to somewhere shining bright with light. Will the hairables be brave enough to leave their familiar home in search of something different, maybe even better?

When I read about the concept of creating characters out of lost hair, I thought the idea was creative and a little gross, which is a combination that kids love. Unfortunately, the plot of the book was lacking. There was no central conflict or plot arc, and the characters weren’t developed. The dialogue was also a bit dull. The book ended in a way that makes it clear this is going to be the first book in a series in which the hairables will have many adventures, but it would have been nice if the first book had gone beyond introducing the characters and setting the scene.

Hairables has full-page illustrations that show the different colors and styles of the hairables’ hair in detail. The pictures are colorful, and children will enjoy them. Based on the pictures, I assumed the book would have a focus on celebrating individuality and diversity. Unfortunately, I think the book missed an opportunity in this area. Although the different hairables commented on each other’s looks, their unique qualities weren’t expounded on in any way.

Because of the cute concept and illustrations, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The lack of an exciting dialogue or storyline keeps me from rating it any higher. There were a few grammatical and punctuation errors that I noticed, but nothing was super distracting.

Based on the reading level, I believe that older elementary schoolers could read this independently, and parents could read the book to younger children. That said, I’m not sure the book as written would be entertaining enough to hold a child’s attention. I am interested to see the direction that future books will take. If they contain exciting adventures and send positive messages, I think this has the potential to be a great series for kids.

Hairables
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I don't think that I would ever want to read this book to be totally honest. Hair in drains gives me the creeps; it is really gross! I do think that young children will find it very entertaining, but I am not sure that adults would feel the same.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I am still trying to figure out the creation of a creature made out of hair let alone living in the sewer. Quite an imagination! Thanks for the detailed review!
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

This book looks like it could use some help with the plot. I hope the author takes your corrections to heart and work on it. The book has potential. Thanks for the review
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, at least the illustrations are colorful and interesting. It sounds like a great concept. I just wish it was executed better. Hopefully the author can work on it more. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Katie Canedy wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 00:49 I don't think that I would ever want to read this book to be totally honest. Hair in drains gives me the creeps; it is really gross! I do think that young children will find it very entertaining, but I am not sure that adults would feel the same.
Haha, I totally understand! The thought of clumps of hair turning into living beings is a bit disturbing. Thanks for your comment!
Magnify3 wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 03:59

I am still trying to figure out the creation of a creature made out of hair let alone living in the sewer. Quite an imagination! Thanks for the detailed review!
Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

spluficvictory wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 07:45 This book looks like it could use some help with the plot. I hope the author takes your corrections to heart and work on it. The book has potential. Thanks for the review
I agree. Thanks for your comment!

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 20:23 Well, at least the illustrations are colorful and interesting. It sounds like a great concept. I just wish it was executed better. Hopefully the author can work on it more. Thanks!
I hope so too, it does have potential. Thanks for commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I hope the author takes your criticism to heart and improves the storyline to make the book more interesting. I think it has possibilities. Thank you for the great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This does seem like a book that my niece and nephew would like. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with you that this is a creative idea for a book. It's too bad the author was unable to capitalize on such a unique story line. Thanks for the honest review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Prisallen wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 15:24 I hope the author takes your criticism to heart and improves the storyline to make the book more interesting. I think it has possibilities. Thank you for the great review!
Me too! Thanks for commenting!

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 08:02 This does seem like a book that my niece and nephew would like. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for your comment!

kdstrack wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 19:47 I agree with you that this is a creative idea for a book. It's too bad the author was unable to capitalize on such a unique story line. Thanks for the honest review!
Thank you so much for stopping by!

Return to “Children's Books”