Official Review: Confessions of a Llama by Patrick Ntsime

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: Confessions of a Llama by Patrick Ntsime

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Confessions of a Llama" by Patrick Ntsime.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Confessions of a Llama, Patrick Ntsime narrates the tumultuous story of Mr. Motara, South Africa’s first diplomat to the country of Bolivia. The book starts with a brief history of how events unfolded during the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. In particular, he describes Mr. Motara’s ancestor, Somatina Silva, who was “sold to the richest Spanish bidder to work in the 16th century silver mines of Potosi, Alto Peru, the new world of South America.” As we are introduced to the suffering of the mineworkers, we glimpse the hellish conditions they were exposed to at that time. With so much despair, their faith and hope gave them an enduring spirit.

The protagonist, Mr. Motara, carries us through a broad array of challenges throughout his life. During one of his trials, he’s diagnosed with a mental illness that sends him to a psychiatric institution. On another occasion, we witness human rights violations that mirror our own current events. Human trafficking is at its peak, and various drug lords are forming nefarious coalitions with politicians, leading to corrupt systems of government. Being South Africa’s first diplomat to Bolivia during a difficult period in South African history, Mr. Motara has considerable responsibility on his shoulders. Will he succeed in his task, or will he be engulfed by the waves of the poisoned political system?

I liked how the author used first-person narration; it made me forget that this is historical fiction. The book reads like an engaging memoir. The journey back in time revealed the historical interplay between the African and South American cultures. Reading about the slave trade was deeply emotional for me. The author’s expressive writing style easily engages the reader while exploring worthy themes such as racial discrimination, government corruption, and the exploitation of the Amazon.

At first, it seemed the writer was taking too much time in giving detailed descriptions of all the scenes, which sometimes became a bit boring. But later, I found this descriptive technique quite powerful in creating vivid scenes that shaped an emotional reading experience. Personally, I found the first chapter rather disturbing, especially reading about the hardships that the slaves endured. As the story progresses, all the various themes begin to slowly emerge. As a nice contrast, the story is spiced up with a bit of love and friendship relationship between Mr. Motara and Pam, a beautiful model. I would recommend this work to readers who enjoy historical fiction with some elements of romance.

I encountered minor editorial errors that did not distract me. There are some light erotic scenes that have been tastefully described, limiting the use of expletives. Confessions of a Llama is an educative, eye-opening, and emotional read that deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars.

Confessions of a Llama
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Excellent review! You have given a summary of the book while including your opinion on the book. Your review makes me want to read the book.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I imagine this book would be difficult for a lot of people to read, considering the hardships those people endured. I'm glad it has some bright spots with romance and friendship with Pam. Great review!
missfrombliss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missfrombliss.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by missfrombliss »

It is hard to read a book that has heavy content but also tells how acually still is somewhere in the world. Thanks for reading and reviewing the book!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This seems like an all-consuming book. You did an amazing job with the review. Talk about that old saying never judge a book by its cover, I would never guess this was a historical fiction book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I thought about trying this book out; now I wish I did! I really liked the cover as well as the title. Glad to see the contents are just as great too. Thanks for the review!
Keida
Currently Reading: Angel Wings
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Keida »

That’s an amazing cover for the book only watching that alone makes me want to read the book then reading the summary blow my mind 😁
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I was so intrigued by the title of this book, I had to take a look. It sounds like it might be a painful read, but still worthwhile. Many thanks for a great review. :D
MacDotta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MacDotta »

[/b]:techie-reference: Great review granted but was there anything you didnt like about the book?... What was the dialogue like between people? What was the effects of the conflicts after? But well put together.
Kudos....
#MacDotta
Angel32
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angel32 »

Its a very educational book with a little of everything from emotion to romance.very interesting
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

This book talks about the Trans-Atlantic slave trade then. Slave trade is officially abolished. Human trafficking in modern times is a form of slave trade.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

I imagine that this book would be hard for me to read, owing to the fact that I can't much stomach human suffering. The book does sound very interesting, though, as you said, "exploring worthy topics such as racial discrimination, government corruption, and the exploitation of the Amazon." I really liked the tone of this review, too. Well done.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Morenikeji Adedeji
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 925">After We Fell</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-companion-adedeji.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Morenikeji Adedeji »

I absolutely love your review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The slave trade in Bolivia has been well documented. I am impressed by the depth of the author's research. Your well-written review has piqued my interest in this one. Thanks for the amazing recommendation.
Courtneykempe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtneykempe.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Courtneykempe »

Great review, this makes me want to read the book and it didn’t seem interesting to me before !

Return to “Historical Fiction”