Any advice for starting a blog?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Any advice for starting a blog?

Post by naomisorge »

I want to start a blog! I'm an ESL teacher, and I am trying to build a career as a proofreader/editor. I know that an online presence would really help my chances of getting work in all these areas. I even logged on to Wordpress and bought a domain/website, which I never touched again. AND I have a super long commute to work, which would be perfect for writing content.

But although I have no problem journalling, writing reviews, or producing content according to client briefs, I'm really struggling to come up with ideas for my blog or even to get started writing. I just feel like every idea I have is not quite right.

Does anyone have any tips for getting over myself and just getting started? If so, I would love to hear them!
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Go with what you know and or have a passion for. My first blog was on funding higher education and each post focused on different topics ranging from financial aid to side gigs. My second blog focused on electronic games which were either played by myself personally or is due to be released.

A possible direction you could go in is to share your experiences proofing and editing ESL course work. Since you're working with dual languages, this experience can help others improve their approach to writing. If sharing experiences doesn't sound appealing then you can go the route of sharing tips to help ESL learners improve their writing skills and vice versa.

You can even share tips in how to properly translate text from one language to another without losing the intended meaning; especially where slang and idioms are concerned. Once you choose a direction to go in for your blog, you'll then have to determine the frequency of your posts; at least one post a week will help show that you're consistent with your work.

Hopefully this information is helpful and happy blogging in advance.
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

TopaAzul062 wrote: 27 Oct 2019, 20:14 Go with what you know and or have a passion for. My first blog was on funding higher education and each post focused on different topics ranging from financial aid to side gigs. My second blog focused on electronic games which were either played by myself personally or is due to be released.

A possible direction you could go in is to share your experiences proofing and editing ESL course work. Since you're working with dual languages, this experience can help others improve their approach to writing. If sharing experiences doesn't sound appealing then you can go the route of sharing tips to help ESL learners improve their writing skills and vice versa.

You can even share tips in how to properly translate text from one language to another without losing the intended meaning; especially where slang and idioms are concerned. Once you choose a direction to go in for your blog, you'll then have to determine the frequency of your posts; at least one post a week will help show that you're consistent with your work.

Hopefully this information is helpful and happy blogging in advance.
Thanks for your response! This is great advice.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

To get started, I found some prompts for blogs and Instagram posts on Pinterest. I found that when I really struggled this gave me an ok idea to run with, more often it led to an idea that led to an idea that I could write with enthusiasm. Then life happened and I got way behind. I have started reblogging now and my goal is to post once a week. I generally have a couple of posts in various stages of writing and some, like this week, lead from the original post to another post or tutorial, so there is actually quite a lot of work in that "one" post.

By no means am I an expert, but I do believe the best advice about blogging is like writing in general, just keep writing even if you think it's trash keep writing. Eventually you will find the piece or put together several sections that you do like.
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

You should really have a theme or area of expertise for your blog. If you're just trying to think of things to talk about, you're going to end up all over the place.

But, that's just advice on finding material to blog about... Promoting a blog is more difficult. Do some Google searches on best practices and tips, you'll find a lot of good info.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle
Art West
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-art-west.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Art West »

I briefly tried blogging unsuccessfully, so my advice comes from learning what NOT to do more than what to do.

As has been stated before, find a theme or a particular area to blog about. That will make it easier to find your blog when people do a search.

Promoting your blog is key. Unfortunately, I never got the hang of that.

Something else you may want to consider is to look at HubPages. It is a place to write short articles and they can help you promote them.
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad »

I am an on and off blogger myself. I had to hold a workshop like class on blogging once and the students asked the same thing. How do you make it regularly? You told you had no problem with journaling, and following up with @vermontelf solid advice, I'll tell you what I told them - take up a writing challenge. They are all over internet. Images and PDFs with prompts for every single day. Take it from there, mix it up with your journaling. And once you nail the first few months, you are good to go. It need not necessarily be daily, once in a week works too, but once it becomes a habit, you'll carry on forever, hopefully...
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

supraja_prasad wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 08:20 ..., but once it becomes a habit, you'll carry on forever, hopefully...
This is the goal of many writers, I think. It is certainly one of my goals.
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad »

vermontelf wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 08:24
supraja_prasad wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 08:20 ..., but once it becomes a habit, you'll carry on forever, hopefully...
This is the goal of many writers, I think.
True, but it's something that I am working on as well. And so far it seems to work.
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman

Return to “Writing Discussion”