Official Review: Pink isn't the only Cancer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Pink isn't the only Cancer

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pink isn't the only Cancer" by Bob N Roberts.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pink Isn't the Only Cancer by Bob N. Roberts is a memoir of Bob's second experience with cancer. Now, more than forty years after his first fight with cancer, Bob is at war with prostate cancer.

It was refreshing that Bob didn't focus on the negatives. In fact, Bob is one of the most positive authors I've ever seen! Bob writes about his interactions and relationships with the medical staff and the insights he picked up from his experiences. Then he goes into some very blunt, honest, and funny depth about his embarrassing, invasive battle. The book covers the entirety of his experience, from the initial tests and diagnosis to post-treatment wrap-up chapters. Do you want to know how awful it is to have a full bladder for a bunch of tests? Are you curious about why Bob is so happy that so many of his doctors and nurses have small hands? Are you worried about some of the more negative side effects of radiating such a sensitive, private area? Trust me, you'll find out because Bob doesn't hold back at all!

While Bob is very frank in Pink Isn't the Only Cancer, he's a little too casual. The book is assembled from notes he wrote as he was going through his experiences, and they don't seem like they were improved on since then. I easily found a dozen errors a quarter of the way through the book. Worse yet, there were countless instances of missing, assumed words, such as "took just a minute" instead of "it took just a minute." There were also a couple of chapters that essentially repeated the chapters before them with different information. While I understand why these chapters were included, I would've preferred if Bob merged each of these pairs into chapters that included all the information without repeating events.

I really enjoyed Bob's focus on how his medical staff treated him as a person, not just a faceless patient. Almost every person who interacts with him is friendly, outgoing, and interacts with him on a personal level. Bob has some magnificent quotes throughout the book about it, such as "I am a person after all, and not Cancer."

Between Bob's terrific quotes and humor, this book had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, the lack of editing and polish really hurt the book. It had other issues too: it felt too long, information was repeated too frequently, and the flow between chapters could've been better. I really wanted to be able to give this book 3 or even 4 stars, but there are too many negatives. I'd give it 2.5 if I could, but since that's also impossible, my rating of Pink Isn't the Only Cancer is 2 out of 4 stars. Bob still succeeded in his goal of writing a book to prepare people who are dealing with prostate cancer. It's an excellent book for anyone who has prostate cancer as well as adults who have a close friend, family member, or significant other who was diagnosed with it. I'd also recommend it to people who enjoy forthright memoirs with some terrific humor.

Pink isn't the only Cancer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I'm a person after all and not Cancer
Nice quote.
This book definitely has potential, I hope the author takes the time and effort to rewrite this book.
Thanks for the review
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I'm not into memoirs, but I appreciate the author's courage to write about his experiences with prostate cancer. To do it with humor and in an optimistic manner is even more commendable. Too bad for the editing errors. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I don’t think this one is for me so I’m going to pass for now, but thank you for this excellent, thorough review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

It sounds like this book would be so entertaining to read! It's too bad it has so many errors. For some people that would probably be too distracting. I initially read your review because the title of the book caught my eye. I think I might make the effort to look past the errors. Thanks for a great review!
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

It sounds like quite an interesting book, "a straight from the heart" type of read. Hopefully with another round of editing its true worth could really shine through.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It's a shame about the book's flaws because it sounds like it has a lot of potential use for those suffering with prostate cancer and heir loved ones.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”