Informing Readers Of Spelling Per Author's Country.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Denv12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Informing Readers Of Spelling Per Author's Country.

Post by Denv12 »

While I have been writing my dating book I have found that the Australian spelling can vary from other countries such as The UK and USA. Should I inform readers that I have been using the Australia spelling and meanings throughout my book? If so,should that be included at the front of the book somewhere?

Thank you for your help.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I think you should inform the readers, and that it should be included on the first pages.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Denv12

Post by Denv12 »

gali wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 23:31 I think you should inform the readers, and that it should be included on the first pages.
Hi gali.
Thank you for your positive feedback.I'll gladly do that.
Regards Denv12.
Cleoliane1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B07Q6ZNJNT

Post by Cleoliane1 »

I'm glad you posted this because I am a new reviewer and my first book has different spelling to certain words. At first, I was going to say something, then I realized that the author is from Ireland and we probably differ in certain word usage and spelling. The ecclectic usage of words by the author was too vast for him to make spelling errors for such simple words. He used words I never heard of. i would hate for someone to get a negative comment for no reason.
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I definitely think you should inform readers at the front. For reviews, it's a good idea to mention the language differences too. Knowing about it going in ensures that readers know they're discovering something interesting about another culture instead of getting annoyed by what they think are misspellings.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

Yes, include this information, so that reviewers do not think that you have made spelling errors.
marieta244

Post by marieta244 »

Yes, I do agree with all the comments. As a reader I would certainly appreciate the author mentioning this at the begining of the book. My mother toungue is Castillian (Spanish) but I was educated in a British/Argentine bilingual school. I have lived now in the USA for quite a while but still ponder/cringe/laugh... at many American words/turns of frase/idioms. :eusa-think:
Also mentioning your Australian spelling/meaning, would certainly save you from reviews criticizing the "lack of proper editing...".
Good luck with your dating book!
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Yes, I think that it should be included. If readers do not know about the language differences, they may think that a spelling error was made that really isn't an error. Reviewers should always mention a language difference if there is one.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “International Grammar”