Official Review: I Will Live. My Children Need Me.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: I Will Live. My Children Need Me.

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Will Live. My Children Need Me." by Charles A. Brady.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you do after the death of a loved one? Can you ever grow past the pain and sadness? For Charles A. Brady, the death of his wife was not the end. Instead, he chose to carry on her legacy of caring for others. In I Will Live. My Children Need Me., the author weaves a tale of faith, hope, and love as he talks about his wife and inspires the reader to keep fighting.

Carmie Brady survived against the odds twice, first in a risky childbirth and later in a struggle against inflammatory breast cancer. Though she would succumb to another bout of cancer after seventeen years, her strength, courage, and care for human beings left a lasting impact on friends, relatives, and clients. This book chronicles her life from 1973, when she met Charles, to May 21, 2004.

Mirroring Carmie’s life, the book alternates between light-hearted, sad, and hopeful. We follow the “Brady Bunch” in good and bad times, from pranks and funny events to bad news and tragedies. The author wrote the book intending to encourage others, and he’s definitely succeeded. Despite everything life throws at her, Carmie remains a positive, loving person. She never gives up. “I will live. My children need me” is a quote that perfectly sums her up.

It’s impossible to talk about the book without discussing faith. It was a fundamental part of Carmie’s life and what gave her hope in the bleakest times. The author also talks about several miracles he and other people witnessed. Though the core narrative is relatable to anyone regardless of one’s beliefs, there’s no doubt that Christian readers will appreciate the book’s messages the most.

The book is exceptionally edited, with very few errors. I only found two instances of misplaced punctuation and one minor inconsistency: chapter eighteen is supposed to take place in 2004, but the book states it’s the year 2000. Some pictures occasionally accompany the chapters and give more weight to the story.

I Will Live. My Children Need Me. is a masterful memoir that should be read by anyone. Whether you’re suffering, know someone going through hard times, or just want to get a wider perspective on life, this book is for you. I therefore rate it 4 out of 4 stars. There are only borderline profanities like “damn,” so teenagers can read it as well. I would not recommend the book if you’re very averse to Christianity and stories of miracles.

I Will Live. My Children Need Me.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
grace11cephas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by grace11cephas »

I am interested in reading this book and afterward review it.Carmie's story has captured my attention and therefore would love to have a full review of it.

Thanks!!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

The author has been through some rough times with his wife dying at an early age. I'm glad they had faith to sustain them through the rough times. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Prisallen wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 08:23 The author has been through some rough times with his wife dying at an early age. I'm glad they had faith to sustain them through the rough times. Thank you for a wonderful review!
grace11cephas wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 08:11 I am interested in reading this book and afterward review it.Carmie's story has captured my attention and therefore would love to have a full review of it.

Thanks!!
Rough times indeed. Carmie was definitely a fighter, continuing to support others despite her own predicaments. Thanks for the comments!
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Seems like a poignant read. I agree faith becomes instrumental is pushing one through the dark times. Nice review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

MrunalT wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 07:54 Seems like a poignant read. I agree faith becomes instrumental is pushing one through the dark times. Nice review!
Faith was certainly important to Carmie and her family. Thanks for the comment!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This is a unique perspective of a husband writing about his wife and how he triumphed over his sorrow. I was impressed by your description of the author's writing style and his positive attitude. This sounds like a compelling story. Thanks for the beautiful recommendation.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 18:12 This is a unique perspective of a husband writing about his wife and how he triumphed over his sorrow. I was impressed by your description of the author's writing style and his positive attitude. This sounds like a compelling story. Thanks for the beautiful recommendation.
It's a beautiful and inspirational read indeed. Thanks for the comment!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I like the title. It is a firm declaration. I am certain that whilst Carmie Brady trusted in God, she also continued declaring that she would live. This is a book worth reading. Thank you for the review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Magnify3 wrote: 12 Nov 2019, 03:44 I like the title. It is a firm declaration. I am certain that whilst Carmie Brady trusted in God, she also continued declaring that she would live. This is a book worth reading. Thank you for the review!
The title does showcase Carmie's resolution quite nicely. Thanks for the comment!
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

Hard time comes and goes. All is a matter of your thinking. I think this book is worthy to be read in order to experience how he managed those time. Great review.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

bigirimanacelestin wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 06:39 Hard time comes and goes. All is a matter of your thinking. I think this book is worthy to be read in order to experience how he managed those time. Great review.
These sorts of stories definitely put your problems in perspective. Thanks for the comment!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

That is one inspiring way to live. Having cancer is tough enough, but I can't imagine the struggle Carmie must have endured in her determination to live for her children. I'm sure the author must have felt truly awed by his wife to immortalise her like this.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Nisha Ward wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 17:47 That is one inspiring way to live. Having cancer is tough enough, but I can't imagine the struggle Carmie must have endured in her determination to live for her children. I'm sure the author must have felt truly awed by his wife to immortalise her like this.
It was an inspiring life indeed. Thanks for the comment!
Meow16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Meow16 »

I really like such books which teach us that life goes on and people also heal wih time a d move forward.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”