Who's Your Favorite Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
jvillalobosm86
Currently Reading: Wellness Toolbox
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvillalobosm86.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Re: Who's Your Favorite Author?

Post by jvillalobosm86 »

There is a dispute in my mind between Haruki Murakami and Salman Rushdie. Both share an exceptional imagination, master the art of intertwining small stories into the main plots and handle magical realism to new horizons.
DaisySimpson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DaisySimpson »

My favorite author is John Wyndham
Maggiemae31
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiemae31.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley

Post by Maggiemae31 »

I am super into Phillipa Gregory right now! I read The Other Boelyn Girl and haven't stopped reading her Tudor series since! I think I've made it through five in that series, and every time I finish one I think I should try to give her books a break, take a breather, but then I go to the library and grab the next one in her series! She writes historical fiction. I've never read historical fiction before her because I've never like history, but something about the way she writes her stories is captivating!

I am also a big fan of George R. R. Martin, Game of Thornes series. He creates this whole world that is so vivid and real. Some characters you love to hate, some you just hate, and others you start out hating and then come to love. He does a brilliant job creating these books.

Blake Crouch needs a shout out here too. He wrote Dark Matter, and it is amazingly awesome! Until the end, I hated the end, but the whole rest of the book was good enough to still make it one of my favorites!

I love James Dashner's The Maze Runner series too. He did a great job on those first three books.

I think I could spend the rest of the day talking about authors who have written amazing books!

Thanks for reading!
Maggie Mae
lostalaskayoung

Post by lostalaskayoung »

John Green!
mddodgen
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mddodgen.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by mddodgen »

Willow and I have a similar list. But the authors that make me buy the book without looking at the content and only glance at the title long enough for me to determine if I already own it, would be the following;
James Patterson
John Sandford
Michael Connelly
Tami Hough
Lee Childs
Tony Hillerman
Robert Parker
Patricia Cromwell
Kathy Reichs
PD James
Morgan Melchor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Morgan Melchor »

I could never choose one favourite author! That would be like choosing a favourite child (if I had children lol). But JRR Tolkien will always have a special place in my heart, considering I'm named after a character and The Hobbit was the first 'proper' book I remember having read to me.
Giselle abg
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giselle-abg.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Giselle abg »

My favorite author is certainly Agatha Christie. I love the way she orquestrastes all the crimes. I always try to solve them, but i think that it’s pretty impossible. Obviously that my favorite character is Poirot, i really like to see how he thinks and his personality is just amazing, so when I read some of her novels in which he isn’t present I miss him a lot, although, ironically, my favorite book is And Then There Were None[\i] which doesn’t feature him. :tiphat:
Mandel85
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Mandel85 »

My top favorite Author is Stephen King, and john Crimson is pretty good himself!
michaelwy

Post by michaelwy »

When I went to school in Norway in the 80s, we had to read stories by the Norwegian realist writer Alexander Kielland (1849-1906). He wrote many wonderful stories with a maritime setting.
ShayM08
Currently Reading: The Sound of Spring
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaym08.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by ShayM08 »

Only one? How about two?
Edgar Allan Poe and Nathaniel Hawthorne.
I love the American macabre!
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Hunter S Thompson, Stephen King, George R.R. Martin,John Irving are all favs
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Tneagle76

Post by Tneagle76 »

Louis La’Mour, Mark Twain, C.S. Lewis, and Zane Grey were early influences on me. Stephen King, John Grissom, David Drake, Eric Flint, Harry Turtledove, Pat Frank, and S.M. Stirling weren’t far behind. I’ve recently started loving John Ringo and Larry Correia.

I’m sure I’ve missed some.
DrPatti8454
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: Death Trap
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drpatti8454.html
Latest Review: Lily White Lie by Connie Chappell
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by DrPatti8454 »

My favorite authors in fiction are Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling), Anita Shreve, Kate Morton, Stieg Larsson (The Millennium Series)/David Lagercratz (The Lisbeth Salander Series).
For non-fiction, my favorite authors are Bob Woodward, Michael Hastings, Rachel Maddow, Michael Wolff and Tim Alberta.
FionaSongbird
Currently Reading: The Killer Angels
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by FionaSongbird »

My absolute favorite author is Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld series. His books are funny and smart. They blend social commentary with humor and fantasy. No other author blends silly and serious as well as Pratchett does. The Vimes novels in particular are amazing. They're fantasy, but they almost read like books about a regular world. His style is similar to Douglas Adams,' but Pratchett's books are hopeful rather than nihilistic.
carson-parker
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carson-parker.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by carson-parker »

Like many of you, I definitely can't give just one. So I'll talk about a few of my faves :)

For writing style alone, it's Margaret Atwood. Her prose has more rhythm than most poets I know. Her work in "Cat's Eye" was just absolutely incredible. I read as much of her as I can because I want to write like her when I grow up :mrgreen:
Trenton Lee Stewart is another. He has a similar kind of rhythm to Atwood, but in a funnier way.
I'll round off this list with Christopher Paolini. The Inheritance Series is a wonder even before you realize he was fifteen when he wrote it. To be honest, he's so good he ruined most other fantasy for me! It just doesn't compare. His battle scenes are more engrossing than movies.

These are my big three!

Return to “Discuss Authors”