Review by ivana7 -- Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review by ivana7 -- Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons" by Sam Brand.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons: 26.2 loving thoughts on why you should not run a marathon by Sam Brand is a non-fiction book that outlines the dangers of running a marathon. This book can be viewed allegorically, since a marathon can represent any obsession in life, but the author gives an overview of the situation from his own example.

In a very simple way, the author describes the dangers and consequences of an accelerated life. This book is based on the categorization of people into three groups. Those are ants, chimpanzees and dolphins. Ants are people who are overworked, stressed out in their lives, mostly unhappy and unable to balance their private lives with work. Chimpanzees, on the other hand, are people who are happier than ants and can enjoy life. Dolphins are the smartest ones who know how to balance life and enjoy it. They are wise and know what they are doing. The author emphasizes that we should all strive to be dolphins.

I liked the uniqueness of this book and the way the author related and compared the stressful lifestyle to the marathon. I really like the message of this book, which is that we need to be aware of what matters in life, and not neglect it for irrelevant things. The author conveys this message perfectly to the readers. The chapters in the book are quite short, which allows the author to get the reader’s attention to the very essence of the book. I also like the comparison of certain groups of people with the animals mentioned. This way the book is much more interesting than other books of a similar type and purpose.

What I didn't like about this book is that it has no direct tips and steps to follow to avoid a stressful lifestyle. For certain individuals this book would be too simple and over-generalized, and they would not be able to create a clear picture of what they need to do to become dolphins. Although the book is very interesting and quick to read because of its brevity and the way it is written, I would have liked it to be at least a little longer. I also think the author could have delved even further into the story and that he could have described in more detail the groups of people he compared to animals.

Overall, I really liked the book. I've never read anything like this. I didn't recognize any grammatical errors while reading the book, so it seems to me that the book is very well edited. I decided to give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I wish the book had specific steps and tips that could be followed, but I still believe that many people can benefit from reading this book. I would recommend it to those who enjoy short self-help books, but I find that those who seek in-depth observations and solutions would not like it.

Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

It's interesting how the author compares people to animals. It is odd that there are no tips on how to lead the life the author is encouraging people to have. While this might be a good book for people to realize what animal they relate to, that's only the first step in anyone changing their lifestyle. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Letora wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 07:03 It's interesting how the author compares people to animals. It is odd that there are no tips on how to lead the life the author is encouraging people to have. While this might be a good book for people to realize what animal they relate to, that's only the first step in anyone changing their lifestyle. Great review!
Thank you for stopping by! :)
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I suppose it's a useful book for raising awareness about the dangers of obsessing over one thing to the detriment of your personal life, even if it lacks more practical advice. Thanks for the review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

I like how you've pointed out the shortcomings of the book, especially it's tendency to generalize, rather than give exact tips on how to be a dolphin. Thanks for the descriptive, well-written review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Tomah wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 09:55 I suppose it's a useful book for raising awareness about the dangers of obsessing over one thing to the detriment of your personal life, even if it lacks more practical advice. Thanks for the review!
I agree with you! :)
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 14:09 I like how you've pointed out the shortcomings of the book, especially it's tendency to generalize, rather than give exact tips on how to be a dolphin. Thanks for the descriptive, well-written review!
This is unfortunately one of the negatives in the book.
Thank you for your comment :D
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! You brought out an important point, that the book doesn't contain specific steps to deal with a stressful lifestyle. Still, the use of animals to categorize people is very creative!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

bookowlie wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 10:15 Great review! You brought out an important point, that the book doesn't contain specific steps to deal with a stressful lifestyle. Still, the use of animals to categorize people is very creative!
Yes, I liked that comparison!
Thank you for stopping by :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”