Official Review: Coopers Law by Wendy Blundell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Official Review: Coopers Law by Wendy Blundell

Post by Aniza Butt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Coopers Law" by Wendy Blundell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life was never easy for Steven Cooper. He lost his mother at the age of fifteen and his girlfriend when he was nineteen. And this wasn't all. After the death of his girlfriend, he left catering college to become a pathologist, but misfortune followed him there too. His fiance abandoned him at the altar, and it was the moment when he thought he was done with women, but he was wrong.

Now, Steven is working as a forensic pathologist with the local police department. While working on a case, he begins to fall for Heather. Heather is a victim of attempted murder, who had previously been abused by her ex-husband Barry. Barry has escaped from the secure unit now, and the police have provided protection to Heather. But someone else needs protection more than Heather. Will the police officials realize their mistake? Do Steven and Heather have a future together?

The engaging and captivating crime thriller Coopers Law by Wendy Blundell revolves around three different cases. It is not just a crime thriller but a heartwarming tale of family, friendship, and dedication. It is an emotional ride, where readers experience the extremes of love, hatred, loyalty, betrayal, and cruelty. In short, the story has a lot of things to keep the readers spellbound.

The thing I like most about this book is the use of precise language. The author has avoided wordiness and used easy-to-understand phrases. The dialogues are simple yet realistic and full of puns. The presence of the puns balances out the tragic aspects of the story.

The book has a wide range of characters, and it is appreciable that every character is given due importance. All the major and minor characters are given enough space to nourish through the book, which makes them relatable and close to reality.

The author has used the techniques of symbolism and personification to add more depth to the story. Almost every character is given a symbolic meaning. Steven is a symbol of dedication, Edward (Steven's father) is presented as a paragon of fatherly love, and the technician Charlie and Sergeant Taylor epitomize loyalty. Sally is the symbol of lost love, and the character of Amy (the girl who abandoned Steven at the altar) is the personification of betrayal and deceit.

The only off-putting thing in this book is the abundance of errors. These errors include missing and misused commas, periods, apostrophes, and helping verbs. It seems that the book is not edited at all, and it makes this enthralling read a bit sloppy. That is why I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am not giving it 2 stars because the book is captivating in the true sense of the word, and it would be unjust to give it a lower rating.

I would recommend this book to crime thriller fans, especially to the fans of CID (an Indian drama series) as they would find this book very relatable. I won't recommend it to young readers because it contains mature content.

Coopers Law
View: on Bookshelves
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do wish the author had edited the book more thoroughly. The book seems interesting; I enjoy books that don't simply fit in one genre. I'll look into this one further. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 19:14 I do wish the author had edited the book more thoroughly. The book seems interesting; I enjoy books that don't simply fit in one genre. I'll look into this one further. Thanks.
I do wish the same. Hope the next edition is edited professionally. Thanks a lot for commenting Kandscreeley 😊
`Darkling`
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I like the plotline of the story. I'm surprised the book focuses three different cases. I feel like most crime thrillers focus on just one case. I'd be interested to read what happens with Steven and Heather. What an interesting way to meet your significant other!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You skipped Heather in the symbolisms. That intrigues me. I wonder what the police are missing. I hope to find out.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

I like how you described it in a clear nutshell in the end and hopefully, this book gets better once the corrections are done. Great review
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

Helene_2008 wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 09:39 I like the plotline of the story. I'm surprised the book focuses three different cases. I feel like most crime thrillers focus on just one case. I'd be interested to read what happens with Steven and Heather. What an interesting way to meet your significant other!
I am sure the book wont disappoint you. Steven and Heather's story is interesting enough to hook a reader within the pages.
`Darkling`
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

Miriam Molina wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 16:16 You skipped Heather in the symbolisms. That intrigues me. I wonder what the police are missing. I hope to find out.
I skipped Heather because it was difficult to figure out what she symbolised, so i left that to the readers of the book to find it out themselves. Hope the other readers are more analytical than me😀. Thanks for commenting by the way :tiphat:
`Darkling`
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 01:09 I like how you described it in a clear nutshell in the end and hopefully, this book gets better once the corrections are done. Great review
Thanks for appreciating Nivi😊
`Darkling`
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like an interesting book. Maybe I'll read it. Thanks for your review!
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 07:26 This seems like an interesting book. Maybe I'll read it. Thanks for your review!
Thanks for reading and commenting :tiphat:
`Darkling`
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Editing errors throughout the book are unfortunate but the premise of the book sounds interesting. A crime thriller with emphasis on family and dedication sounds like something I would enjoy reading. Thanks for the helpful review!
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:

Post by Aniza Butt »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 14:34 Editing errors throughout the book are unfortunate but the premise of the book sounds interesting. A crime thriller with emphasis on family and dedication sounds like something I would enjoy reading. Thanks for the helpful review!
I am sure you would love it. Thank you for reading and commenting ☺.
`Darkling`
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I'm not sure I'd enjoy reading about Steven going through all those unfortunate events, lol. But the rest does sound nice. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The symbolism of the characters is intriguing. It keeps the reader's mind on a double-track as they try to solve the crime and decipher the symbolism at the same time. This sounds like a talented writer. I like the recommendation. Thanks!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”