Official Review: Cornelius Cone and Friends 2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Cornelius Cone and Friends 2

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cornelius Cone and Friends 2" by Steve Boyce.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cornelius Cone and Wet Floor try to avoid accidents. Cornelius Cone warns danger is nearby with his bright colors. Wet Floor's job is to attend to any spillages in the supermarket, helping to avoid any slipping. However, Sam isn't paying attention to his surroundings. Will Cornelius and Wet Floor be able to keep him safe?

Cornelius Cone and Friends 2 by Steve Boyce is a children's book. The cover is eye-catching with most of the main characters pictured. It is longer than a picture book but too short for a chapter book. This would be good for that transition period between the two. The book is the second in a series, but I wasn't lost in spite of not having read it; it acts as a stand-alone.

The illustrations are drawn by the author, and they are extremely colorful. They would tantalize anyone whose attention wanders. There was an even mix of pictures to words with about one drawing per page. The font is a typical black, which could use more variety and life to further entice small readers.

I did enjoy the themes presented within the plot. Cornelius and his friends teach us to be aware of our surroundings in a fun way. We also learn more about cones and wet floor signs.

I enjoyed that the characters were unique. Not only was there a cone and a wet floor sign but also a grocery store "trolley" and people like the postman. The perspective might be a little confusing to kids because we switch from Cornelius to Wet Floor halfway through. The purpose is clear in the story, but small inquiring minds might wonder what happened to the cone (he doesn't really reenter the plot).

While the editing wasn't horrendous, it wasn't as clean as I'd like in a children's book. The author seemed to prefer using commas instead of periods within dialogue. It's a stylistic choice, but it wouldn't be my preference. For example, Pete the Postman says, "That's ok Wet Floor, I understand, I will save the story for another day, get well soon." There were also a few other issues like a missing apostrophe and an overlooked space.

Overall, Cornelius Cone and Friends 2 deserves 3 out of 4 stars. It's a fun read that teaches a good lesson, but the confusion with the change in characters and imperfect editing detract from its perfection. I recommend this to children and parents in the mood for a colorful, fun read with an important message.

Cornelius Cone and Friends 2
View: on Bookshelves
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I'm surprised this is part of a series since I'm not sure how much you could write about the lives of cones and wet floor signs. Clearly the author doesn't seem to lack imagination though! Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Tomah wrote: 05 Oct 2019, 12:45 I'm surprised this is part of a series since I'm not sure how much you could write about the lives of cones and wet floor signs. Clearly the author doesn't seem to lack imagination though! Thanks for the review!
That's a very good question. Now I have to go look at the other books to see what else you can say about cones. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

What a unique topic for a children's book. I think this is the first time I have seen a story about cautionary signs. It's a great idea though! Wonderful review :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Letora wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 06:32 What a unique topic for a children's book. I think this is the first time I have seen a story about cautionary signs. It's a great idea though! Wonderful review :)
I agree. They are definitely different protagonists. Unique is good where children are concerned though.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This is certainly a unique way to teach children about safety and to be aware of their surroundings. It sounds like something that children would enjoy. Thanks for a wonderful review, as always!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Children's book authors are really diversifying! Now, even signs can talk and teach.:text-lol:
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

My daughter loved this book! I must say I agree with her. Making safety sound fun isn't easy, but the author has done a great job and with such amazing imagination to have talking signs! Thank you for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Prisallen wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 06:46 This is certainly a unique way to teach children about safety and to be aware of their surroundings. It sounds like something that children would enjoy. Thanks for a wonderful review, as always!
I agree. I hadn't really seen a story featuring a safety cone. It's unique, and kids would like it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

[amazon=][/amazon]
Miriam Molina wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 16:25 Children's book authors are really diversifying! Now, even signs can talk and teach.:text-lol:
Whatever works to get kids to read and be safe! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

LianaMayhew wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 18:20 My daughter loved this book! I must say I agree with her. Making safety sound fun isn't easy, but the author has done a great job and with such amazing imagination to have talking signs! Thank you for the review.
You're right. Safety isn't a very fun topic, but the author makes it enjoyable. I'm glad your daughter liked this one. Make sure to check out the others in the series.
—Neil Gaiman
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This seems like a fun way to teach children about cautionary signs and what they mean. Making this topic fun is a tall order, but the author seems to have managed it quite well. I might have to pick this one up for my grandson!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kelyn wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 21:07 This seems like a fun way to teach children about cautionary signs and what they mean. Making this topic fun is a tall order, but the author seems to have managed it quite well. I might have to pick this one up for my grandson!
It's cute for sure and quite educational. I recommend it, though the author could do a bit of editing. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

The idea of using cones and wet floor signs seems original, but how can the author not mention what happened to the cone? Thank you for letting me know about this book! Great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Laura Bach wrote: 09 Oct 2019, 07:56 The idea of using cones and wet floor signs seems original, but how can the author not mention what happened to the cone? Thank you for letting me know about this book! Great review!
Well, there are other books about the cone. Perhaps, he expects children to pick them up. In any case, it was a fun book.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Children's Books”