Review by Wyland -- Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Review by Wyland -- Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Wyland »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beneath the Muscle" by Lauren Powers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With pride, Lauren Powers in her memoir Beneath the Muscle: Unleash Your Inner Champion credits her father, David MacDonald, for her Type A personality that has made her naturally prone to positivity. Just the same, isn’t it incredible that as a child she was focused, stayed confident, and therefore, never allowed bullies to bring her down? Yet, after everything, it’s this learned behavior that has allowed her to pursue careers in male-dominated fields later in her life.

Any or all of several women close to Powers could have been responsible for her inspired attitude, namely, her mother, Mary Curtis; her grandma, Leone; and her aunt, Colette. Ever the Pollyanna, she scored a solid 4.0 grade-point average at the University of Hawaii on Maui, even as she excelled in some high-octane adventures both in and out of school: as an example, she was the number-one-woman paddler out of fifty-two women who were selected to paddle on the Molokai Channel, the roughest channel of the Hawaiian Islands.

With an effusive attitude of paying no attention to negative thoughts, Powers’ book certainly provides some food for thought. Through what she calls being “Behind the Mask,” she identifies an aspect of hiding dark thoughts that disguises our true selves so that we can fit into society. While describing this debilitating trait in more detail, she gave the example of a certain celebrity who appeared happy and comical when in public; however, behind this persona, there was a fatally disconsolate individual. Moreover, any of the chapter titles in Part 3 (Keys to Success) of her book read like personal mantras one can adopt to promote positivity in life.

As a former drug addict who found fame in bodybuilding, Powers reminds her readers to never be afraid of making mistakes. Indeed, this is the frame of mind that has contributed to the appreciative tone that characterizes her writing. Accordingly, and in no uncertain terms, she cherishes her mom’s friend and drug rehabilitation staff who came to her aid when she hit rock-bottom because of drug and alcohol-related abuse. After this most trying episode in her life, she developed her “why” in life, which is to use her success as a platform to reach a wider audience, and in the process, help others.

That being so, to help me personalize the advice and experiences in her book in the hope it can help reveal my inner champion, Powers has included a free accompanying workbook. Success is about making the necessary changes in one’s life, and I thought this step was another key selling point of her book. Meanwhile, I got to admire all the numerous cool pictures Powers has taken posing with other equally successful celebrities, like Arnold Schwarzenegger and singer Katy Perry.

After all was said and done, I felt Powers achieved effectively her sole objective of penning this book. Additionally, I was only able to identify minimal editing errors, that is, a few missing commas in two phrases. As I conclude, what I liked most about the book was the fact that the author made the story more about her prospective reader than about herself. For the above compelling reasons, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to anyone who feels unfulfilled in life and needs an inspiration to try something new. As Powers will tell you, she ventured into bodybuilding at the mature age of 40, so it’s never too late to start something new.

Beneath the Muscle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

She was born Laurie McDonald, but Lauren Powers suits her more. She's dubbed as the American Wonder Woman, and that's no wonder. I hope to find what's beneath soon.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the amazing review. I like the fact that author still echoes what I read in a certain book some months ago about the possibility of beginning anything at any time.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like such an inspiring life. Her positive attitude, in spite of her struggles, and her willingness to make changes are motivating for readers. I am looking forward to reading her story. Thanks for the amazing review!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Great review! I have also reviewed this book (I belive it is currently pending in my history), and i was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. She really comes across a very interesting and empathic woman. I am glad to see you enjoyed it as well.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

We surely learn with our mistakes and am glad that the author tried to convey this message with her book.
Thanks for the review wyland☺
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

It sounds like an inspiring read that should have something for everybody, even if you're not interested in bodybuilding. Thanks for the review!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It's indeed never too late to try something new or go after your dreams! It's always amazing when addicts turn their lives around, and I'm glad Powers managed to do so through bodybuilding. Not my type of book, so I'll have to pass. Nonetheless, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I love inspirational tales from strong women like Lauren Powers. The name really does suit her. Thanks for the lovely review!
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

I love that she used personal experience in order to empower her readers. There's something very powerful about watching someone rise from the ashes. Addiction is a hole not many people are able to climb out of, no matter how hard they try. It's really hard, so seeing such a successful story is inspiring. This was a fantastic review. Thanks!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I've read a few reviews on this book, and all of them have been pretty positive. Your review makes me think that this book might be a good fit for me. I'll have to add it to my super long list of books I need to read. Thanks for the review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very inspirational book for people who are struggling. I'm glad that she was able to overcome her addictions and become successful. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like that the book is reader-centred; that tells me she put a lot of thought into the writing and the message she hoped to pass. It is certainly a book I want to read. Thanks for the recommendation.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This type of book isn't generally my thing so I think I will pass for now, but it does sound unique and I'm not sure I've ever seen a premise quite like this one. Excellent review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Lauren Powers is truly an inspiration to all. She tried her best to convey a meaningful and relatable message to her audience through learned experience and somewhat unnecessary adversity at times. An absolutely empowering read. Thank you for your review! :D
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”