Review by djr6090 -- Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Review by djr6090 -- Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by djr6090 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Arsenic and Old Men" by Glenn Ickler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is peculiar to think someone could enjoy murder, but it seems as if sleuthing is the major entertainment in Martha’s Vineyard for the trio of characters in Arsenic and Old Men. I chose this book because I wanted something light. I find entirely too much serious crime on TV and in the newspaper, so I thought this would satisfy as recreational reading. It does not disappoint.

Glen Ickler places Mitch, Dave, and Al, his serial favorites from Minnesota, on Martha’s Vineyard with their wives to attend to the details surrounding the death of Dave’s uncle. The cause of death shifts from a presumed heart attack to arsenic poisoning after an autopsy. Since the uncle had been an honored member of the St. Paul area press, Mitch gets orders from his hometown editor to report on the details for the paper. However, as the inheritor of a sizable estate, Dave and his friends come under suspicion. They soon find a second arsenic victim, send their wives home, and embark on an investigative effort. In the process, they antagonize the local detective, eat many meals in the same restaurant, endure an annoying car rental agent, and weather a nor’easter. After many phone calls, they figure things out and foolishly try to set a trap. Their adventures are entertaining, if not terrifically suspenseful.

The major criticism I have is that the humor was very clichéd. Mr. Ickler compares his three protagonists to the three stooges a few too many times. He goes so far as to borrow the ‘nyuck, nyuck’ of the iconic Curly even though his slapstick is much less amusing. There are also some really sour puns. For example, “This murder is at a dead end.” Some jokes are repeated, and corny lines are given to each of the sleuths to feed back to one another. Overworked or not, I did have to smile every time I read, “You’re the boss.”

Most of the supporting characters surrounding Mitch, Dave, and Al behave in predictable ways. Even though Ickler places them in some extraordinary circumstances, the plot does a good job of misdirecting your attention to other suspects. I found it odd, though, that Ickler had such a mild description of the locale. Martha’s Vineyard is lovely, but you get only an impression of the surroundings. The characters refer to their prior visit to the island. Again, you get the impression that they are more familiar with their surroundings than the reader can tell. There are obvious ticklers to a former novel published in the Mitch and Al series. However, the reader can navigate Arsenic and Old Men without having read any of Ickler’s previous works.

If you are looking for intense mystery or intricate crime plots, this book is not for you. In addition, there are scenes of nudity and a smattering of profanity, which make it unsuitable for young readers. A likely audience would be middle-aged mystery readers who need to rest their brains.

As far as editing in concerned, it appears to be professionally done. Formatting and spacing appear to be fine. However, the downloaded copy lacked a cover image. In addition, there were a few errors consisting mostly of dropped words. Because of this and other flaws mentioned above, I would have to rate this novel three out of four stars. Though it is not in a class with Agatha Christie or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, it is charming in its own way.

Arsenic and Old Men
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

The humor the author employs is not something I would enjoy. I never could watch the Three Stooges. However, your review was well articulated, and you have done a great job on it.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I am always concerned about the predictability in thrillers, it is exciting if the suspense is different from what it appeared. I hope the characters weren't predictable. I'll give it a pass. I liked the review and your way to present the blemishes. Well done.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

I love entertaining stories, though your comments about profanity put me off a little. But still, I'll read it. Thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

Sounds like a good-read. I don't really enjoy reading books from this genre but I must say that this is a nice review.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I love humour in a book but the nudity would draw me back. Thanks a lot for the review ☺
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

melissy370 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:37 The humor the author employs is not something I would enjoy. I never could watch the Three Stooges. However, your review was well articulated, and you have done a great job on it.
Thank you. A well defined sense of humor is the sign of intelligence.
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 11:18 I am always concerned about the predictability in thrillers, it is exciting if the suspense is different from what it appeared. I hope the characters weren't predictable. I'll give it a pass. I liked the review and your way to present the blemishes. Well done.
I completely agree. Characters that are stale and predictable are boring. These characters were not, but the mystery part of it was pale. I much prefer the Sherlock Holmes mystery style.And thank you for the compliments.
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 23:57 I love entertaining stories, though your comments about profanity put me off a little. But still, I'll read it. Thanks for the review.
I'll look for your review. Thanks for the comment
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

Daniel_ wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 01:38 Sounds like a good-read. I don't really enjoy reading books from this genre but I must say that this is a nice review.
Thank you, Daniel. This was not a typical mystery thriller.
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

Aniza Butt wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 05:08 I love humour in a book but the nudity would draw me back. Thanks a lot for the review ☺
Definitely not the story for you, then. Just the same, I did enjoy it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”