Becoming a fate sealer

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Becoming a fate sealer

Post by Kro92813 »

What do you think of the process of creating a fate sealer? Pretty gruesome, eh? What do you think happens to the fate sealers sound in our realm?
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Gruesome...that's a good word for it. Also: Detestable, horrifying, and cruel. I hadn't considered them having Sounds in our world, but I suppose they would! Great point. Perhaps that's how psychopaths tare made.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Kelyn wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 12:27 Gruesome...that's a good word for it. Also: Detestable, horrifying, and cruel. I hadn't considered them having Sounds in our world, but I suppose they would! Great point. Perhaps that's how psychopaths tare made.
I agree - good adjectives! And yes a fate sealer is made by kidnapping an infant Echo and bringing them to Shadowpain, so their sound would exist. I wonder if there is a rhyme or reason to it all. Or maybe, like you said, that's where psychopaths come from...
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:30 What do you think of the process of creating a fate sealer? Pretty gruesome, eh? What do you think happens to the fate sealers sound in our realm?
I thought that an Echo and their Sound's lives are not interconnected, except of course by the law that a Sound's death means the Echo must die. I think if an Echo were tortured to become a Fate Sealer that their Sound would go on to live the life they would have normally had.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Washboard wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 18:21
Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:30 What do you think of the process of creating a fate sealer? Pretty gruesome, eh? What do you think happens to the fate sealers sound in our realm?
I thought that an Echo and their Sound's lives are not interconnected, except of course by the law that a Sound's death means the Echo must die. I think if an Echo were tortured to become a Fate Sealer that their Sound would go on to live the life they would have normally had.
Sort of how Will's Echo is a prince, bit he is just a normal kid in the Sound realm.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I think it is a gruesome process and holy believe that the Sounds are normally hunted down and killed in our realm.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Washboard wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 18:22
Sort of how Will's Echo is a prince, bit he is just a normal kid in the Sound realm.
I think you are right, but I kind of want to believe that they would be interconnected somehow! Lol

I mean in a sense they are - because even though Wills Sound family is just average every day normal - the families echos still are all in the same family (even if they are royalty). If sounds and echos arent interconnected in any way, then William and Emmys Echos wouldnt necessarily have to have been brother and sister right?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 18:34
I think it is a gruesome process and holy believe that the Sounds are normally hunted down and killed in our realm.
This is sort of the take I would have if I were the author ;)
Washboard

Post by Washboard »

Kro92813 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 20:21

I think you are right, but I kind of want to believe that they would be interconnected somehow! Lol

I mean in a sense they are - because even though Wills Sound family is just average every day normal - the families echos still are all in the same family (even if they are royalty). If sounds and echos arent interconnected in any way, then William and Emmys Echos wouldnt necessarily have to have been brother and sister right?
I think you may be right, now that I think about it. How else would Echos end up partnered with the equivalent person as their Sound counterpart, same number of kids, and so on?

Maybe it is only Echos are affected by the choices of their Sound? That could really suck. For example, if the Sound couple are well off and decide to have six kids, but the Echo couple are poor and can't afford them but have to have them anyway.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Washboard wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 19:09

I think you may be right, now that I think about it. How else would Echos end up partnered with the equivalent person as their Sound counterpart, same number of kids, and so on?

Maybe it is only Echos are affected by the choices of their Sound? That could really suck. For example, if the Sound couple are well off and decide to have six kids, but the Echo couple are poor and can't afford them but have to have them anyway.
I love it! The fate of an echo relying mainly on their Sound (and the hand that fate deals them as well)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

That is an amazing observation. If Sounds get married, must Echoes too so that any child has an Echo and vice versa? When a Sound couple divorces, must the Echoes divorce to in order to prevent the birth of an Echo without a Sound?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:36

That is an amazing observation. If Sounds get married, must Echoes too so that any child has an Echo and vice versa? When a Sound couple divorces, must the Echoes divorce to in order to prevent the birth of an Echo without a Sound?
:o this just got deeper on a whole new level! And slightly more confusing haha it's as if Echos really dont have free will like sounds do
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 07:32 :o this just got deeper on a whole new level! And slightly more confusing haha it's as if Echos really dont have free will like sounds do
That was my interpretation, too - that Echoland is so reliant on "fate" and "fortune" because they don't really have choices in life, because their choices are made by someone else (their Sounds). They say things like "by Fortune's favor", when we (Sounds) have phrases like "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." We attribute events to our own actions, while Echoes attribute events to fate.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

evraealtana wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 11:46
Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 07:32 :o this just got deeper on a whole new level! And slightly more confusing haha it's as if Echos really dont have free will like sounds do
That was my interpretation, too - that Echoland is so reliant on "fate" and "fortune" because they don't really have choices in life, because their choices are made by someone else (their Sounds). They say things like "by Fortune's favor", when we (Sounds) have phrases like "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself." We attribute events to our own actions, while Echoes attribute events to fate.
Yeah I hadnt originally thought about this but I love your examples! I swear the more I talk about this book, the more little details keep popping up! The author really thought about every little detail
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

evraealtana wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 11:46
This is an amazingly inciteful view that has clearly changed how I see the book.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”