Review by Dragonsend -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Review by Dragonsend -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Dragonsend »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Friendship is a great gift. One that should never be taken for granted. The capacity of a woman's heart for her friends is vast, so vast it is hard to comprehend sometimes. Like the river transforms the land, the bond of friendship can transform your life. Trusting the currents, navigating the terrain, and figuring out how to read the water are all skills that take patience, time and love." This eloquent quote from Michelle Cummings' The Reel Sisters embodies the message of this novel. We are introduced to five women: Rose, Amanda, Veronica, Sophie, and Melody, all very different from one another but bonded by the fly-fishing that they love. This story tells how fly-fishing has enriched these woman's lives and deepened their friendship.

Michelle Cummings does an exceptional job of keeping this novel light-hearted, focusing on the bonds of friendship and the outlet that fly-fishing has given these women. I truly enjoyed this aspect of this book, not letting the book drown the reader in drama but enough true-life grit to highlight the serenity and life lessons that are learned while out on the river. The author introduces us to the women and their lives one-by-one. This provides you a superb sense of each character and helps differentiate between their personalities and their situations, defining each woman.

One fault I discovered with the book and this is likely due to personal preference, each time a person would speak the dialogue had a line-space between speakers. This was distracting to me and made the dialogue seem choppy, but only to the eye. However, I like that the chapters were split up by character and the separate characters each narrated their own chapters. The author managed to pull this off and keep the story moving forward without backtracking the story line and was nevertheless able to offer the woman's distinct perspectives on a situation.

This was a meticulously edited book and you can tell it was a labor of love. I found no errors. This book is suitable for all readers. The author wrote a tastefully written book with some very minor profanity. I don't believe this would be a detriment to teen readers because the issue is actually addressed in the book. This novel is a great way to get introduced to the sport of fly-fishing. I personally love fishing but have never been fly-fishing and am now excited about giving it a try. The technical ability and the patience that the author conveys about the sport has me chomping at the bit to get on a river and try my hand at this type of fishing.

I rate this book, that focuses on fly-fishing and how it parrallels these woman's lives four out of four stars. When I had finished reading this book, I was left with a satisfied feeling that the message had been conveyed and received. This is light reading filled with lessons, "Life changes like water in motion," and I would recommend it to all audiences.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

While I don't generally read "regular" fiction, this book has gotten enough good reviews from reviewers I respect that I might have to consider picking it up.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

esp1975 wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 18:30 While I don't generally read "regular" fiction, this book has gotten enough good reviews from reviewers I respect that I might have to consider picking it up.
It is well outside my normal reading choices too, but I assure you, you won't be disappointed. This review is spot on, the book leaves you satisfied. And feeling warm and fuzzy!
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

thaservices1 wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 11:00
esp1975 wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 18:30 While I don't generally read "regular" fiction, this book has gotten enough good reviews from reviewers I respect that I might have to consider picking it up.
It is well outside my normal reading choices too, but I assure you, you won't be disappointed. This review is spot on, the book leaves you satisfied. And feeling warm and fuzzy!
Thank you both! I was impressed with the author's impressive way of telling a story. Hope you enjoy the book!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Dragonsend wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 17:53 This is light reading filled with lessons, "Life changes like water in motion," and I would recommend it to all audiences.
I love the way you ended your review, and the quote you choose is quite poetic and filled with wisdom. I have this book on my reading list. I'm not a fan of the fly-fishing, but I liked the idea of interweaving this sport with friendship. Thank you for the recommendation!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

InStoree wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 07:37
Dragonsend wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 17:53 This is light reading filled with lessons, "Life changes like water in motion," and I would recommend it to all audiences.
I love the way you ended your review, and the quote you choose is quite poetic and filled with wisdom. I have this book on my reading list. I'm not a fan of the fly-fishing, but I liked the idea of interweaving this sport with friendship. Thank you for the recommendation!
This was definitely a book focusing on women's bonds. Your welcome and I hope you enjoy!
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The Reel Sisters is a good book. I didn't like what happened to a sister at the end of the story, though. Totally unnecessary, IMHO.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

LinaMueller wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 06:48 The Reel Sisters is a good book. I didn't like what happened to a sister at the end of the story, though. Totally unnecessary, IMHO.
I was quite shocked but I loved the way the author portrayed the strength of her characters and didn't waste time on regret and such things that some people seem to focus on.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”