Review by Rachel Lea -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Rachel Lea -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Rachel Lea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid is the thrilling tale of a young boy named Will Cleary and his adventures (and misadventures) in an eerie and magical underground kingdom called Echoland. Initially embarking on a passionate quest to rescue his long-lost sister, stolen away years before by the denizens of Echoland, Will soon learns that his problems have only just begun: This frozen subterranean kingdom is a parallel world to our own, where the copies or “echoes” of every person in the human world live and reside. Will Cleary’s own echo is the prince of Echoland himself. The prince has powerful enemies who want him dead, and these enemies know that the easiest way to get rid of the prince, Will’s echo, is to kill Will. Why? Because once a sound is dead, its echo is doomed to die, too.

Will the prince regain a throne that is rightfully his? Will our hero Will Cleary escape with his sister and return home to the surface? Or will the forces of evil prevail and take out both Will and the prince—the sound and his echo, dooming the kingdom of Echoland to a never-ending reign of terror?

The Crystilleries of Echoland is a highly enjoyable, fast-paced read. The writing is simple, succinct, yet poignant. The plot is impressively original and well-structured, a roller coaster of brilliant twists and turns that constantly keeps the reader guessing. Moments of action, drama, terror, and humor are all deftly balanced. And each and every one of the characters, from minor players to major ones, from villains to heroes, is lovingly crafted with a unique appearance and a distinct voice.

In addition, the author uses the interplay between sounds and echoes throughout the book to weave a very thoughtful and poignant commentary on racial equality. This element adds another layer of depth to the story that I really liked.

I have only two real quibbles with this book. The first is that at times the writing is cryptic and I had some difficulty figuring out what was going on. I would have to reread passages or go back a couple of pages to try and establish context. A bit more exposition by the author to explain the more unfamiliar and fanciful elements of Echoland would have been helpful. Secondly, I spotted several punctuation errors. There were not so many errors that these mistakes were constant or distracting, but I counted more than ten occurrences throughout the book. These errors consisted mainly of missing commas.

Overall, my rating for The Crystilleries of Echoland, for the reasons listed above, is 3 out of 4 stars. Although this book’s target demographic appears to be middle school and young adult readers, I think that anyone who has a soft spot in their heart for the fantasy genre—or just anyone who appreciates a fresh, well-plotted story—will enjoy this book immensely.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

This seemed vast and intriguing! Your writing style is wonderful and the review is clear and detailed! Thank you
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

My issue with the book was same as yours that it was sometimes difficult to figure out what was actually happening. I had to read nd reread some of the passages.
Thanks a lot for the review rachel ☺
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 16:25 This seemed vast and intriguing! Your writing style is wonderful and the review is clear and detailed! Thank you
Thank you so much! :)
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Aniza Butt wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 09:06 My issue with the book was same as yours that it was sometimes difficult to figure out what was actually happening. I had to read nd reread some of the passages.
Thanks a lot for the review rachel ☺
I'm glad to know it wasn't just me! :) Thank you so much!
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I've never read a fantasy book that had racial equality as one of its themes. Sounds like this one is truly something special. Thanks for the lovely review!
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

rumik wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 17:47 I've never read a fantasy book that had racial equality as one of its themes. Sounds like this one is truly something special. Thanks for the lovely review!
Thank you so much!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

The premise of "echoes" is intriguing and already I want to know how will deals with this menace of someone trying to get rid of him. Thanks for the insightful review.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

I like books like this; adventure books with magic. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Wyland wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 18:43 The premise of "echoes" is intriguing and already I want to know how will deals with this menace of someone trying to get rid of him. Thanks for the insightful review.
Yes, I thought the idea of "sounds" and "echoes" was really unique and interesting. Thanks for stopping by! :)
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Daniel_ wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 02:50 I like books like this; adventure books with magic. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thank you so much! :D
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your insights. The writer has a good way of presenting the characters. This is a good fantasy for all ages. Thanks for the captivating review.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Did you say fantasy? TAKE ME ON THIS JOURNEY! I love such books. totally loved reading your review! thank you for it.
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

kdstrack wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 21:19 I enjoyed your insights. The writer has a good way of presenting the characters. This is a good fantasy for all ages. Thanks for the captivating review.
Thank you so much!!
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Areej Tahir wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 15:50 Did you say fantasy? TAKE ME ON THIS JOURNEY! I love such books. totally loved reading your review! thank you for it.
Aww, thank you!! I love fantasy books, too!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”