The killing law

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

The killing law

Post by Kro92813 »

The killing law is "that when a Sound dies his Echo should die too—or evil times will follow."

What do you think happens when an Echo dies before its Sound? Nothing? Maybe that's why car accidents or murders happen in our realm? What are your thoughts?
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I don't think murders so much unless we have a type of Fate Sealer here. Fatal accidents are a good guess, though. Fatal illnesses that appear seemingly out of nowhere perhaps as well. There are myriads of possibilities. Good question!
Vera_bookily
Favorite Book: Guards! Guards!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vera-bookily.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vera_bookily »

That's an interesting thought. Some kind of Fate Sealers in the Sound world who engineered accidents? But since Sounds seem to be unaware of the existence of echoes maybe not. The book makes it clear that it is an archaic law and quite unnecessary.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

I thought about that too when I was reading the book. Since it's not a natural law, it's one made by a king, I don't think it matters.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Kelyn wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 12:32 I don't think murders so much unless we have a type of Fate Sealer here. Fatal accidents are a good guess, though. Fatal illnesses that appear seemingly out of nowhere perhaps as well. There are myriads of possibilities. Good question!
I like the thought of fatal illnesses or something of that nature. I sort of like the idea that, even if we are unaware of our Echos, that we are still connected to them in a way.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

little_nell15 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 14:03 That's an interesting thought. Some kind of Fate Sealers in the Sound world who engineered accidents? But since Sounds seem to be unaware of the existence of echoes maybe not. The book makes it clear that it is an archaic law and quite unnecessary.
That's a very good point. The false king made the law as a part of his elaborate scheme to take over the throne. So I guess the answer very well could be nothing happens to the Sound if an Echo dies first and life just goes on as normal!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 21:01 I thought about that too when I was reading the book. Since it's not a natural law, it's one made by a king, I don't think it matters.
That's a very good point! Pellucid seems to always have a greater depth to any given detail in the story than meets the eye though, so I still have to wonder if she would have something up her sleeve in this regard!
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 21:01 I thought about that too when I was reading the book. Since it's not a natural law, it's one made by a king, I don't think it matters.
You make a great point! It's so funny how when a king says something, automatically his word is thought of as law. But what is there behind this law, really, to back things up and provide clarity? Coming from the horrible false king, if no one listens to this law, perhaps it doesn't make it true at all.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Sinclairess wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 11:56
You make a great point! It's so funny how when a king says something, automatically his word is thought of as law. But what is there behind this law, really, to back things up and provide clarity? Coming from the horrible false king, if no one listens to this law, perhaps it doesn't make it true at all.
Right? The king is the shephard and the people are his sheep. Whether they follow him out of respect or fear, it's amazing how a title can create such power over others
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 22:47
Right? The king is the shephard and the people are his sheep. Whether they follow him out of respect or fear, it's amazing how a title can create such power over others
I thought the False King would have failed because he tried to trick the brother he once tried to stab...that would make someone unbelievably untrustworthy in my book.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:27 The killing law is "that when a Sound dies his Echo should die too—or evil times will follow."

What do you think happens when an Echo dies before its Sound? Nothing? Maybe that's why car accidents or murders happen in our realm? What are your thoughts?
There seem to be people in our world who are lost, without a spiritual core, or who are overcome with despair. I kind of thought that the Echo was so linked to the Sound that it was necessary to both. Maybe the loss of an Echo effects the Sound's spirit.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 22:47 Right? The king is the shephard and the people are his sheep. Whether they follow him out of respect or fear, it's amazing how a title can create such power over others
Right, it's astonishing how humans instinctively give over their mental power to someone that way, without question, in such large numbers. That amount of power is dangerous. The king is a stranger, really. He doesn't know half the people he rules.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:27 The killing law is "that when a Sound dies his Echo should die too—or evil times will follow."

It's just a fiction book, but I think there's sense here. Sound and Echo realms are like spiritual and physical realms. If someone is killed spiritually, it would manifest physically. Nice thought, Kro.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 00:20
Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 22:47

I thought the False King would have failed because he tried to trick the brother he once tried to stab...that would make someone unbelievably untrustworthy in my book.
Fear controls too so people could have followed out of fear. But in real life, humans have followed worse - think Hitler
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

djr6090 wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 09:50

There seem to be people in our world who are lost, without a spiritual core, or who are overcome with despair. I kind of thought that the Echo was so linked to the Sound that it was necessary to both. Maybe the loss of an Echo effects the Sound's spirit.
I like this idea! That the echo is sort of like a part of our spirit. And their lucidity kind of adds to that vibe. A loss of ones echo could be the cause of depression or feelings of loss

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”