What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lib -
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lib.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Icon Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Lib - »

The last book I read was entitled We Are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz. This book was a science fiction - fantasy and I rated it a 2 out 0f 4 stars because it was hard to follow the ideas and plot line.

Lib -
Susan Solomon
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Two more books completed.

First, in her brave and compelling debut novel of 2017, Terra Nullius, Claire G Coleman, an indigenous Australian writer who identities as a Noongar woman, writes a story, only thinly disguised as science fiction, of the displacement of this nation's first peoples since British colonisation in the late 18th century.

This is a thought-provoking debut, competently if a little clumsily presented at times, overt and justifiably angry in its political and racial intent, but one that is very enjoyable and engaging.

4 stars out of 5

Secondly, The Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith (1766) is a relatively short and quaint melodrama about the Reverend Charles Primrose (who narrates the tale), his wife Deborah and their six children. His older daughters, Olivia and Sophia, who are approaching marriageable age, have particular prominence in the story.

Fairly shallow, melodramatic and predictable, it held some interest but ultimately provided little literary satisfaction.

3 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Melodygelm98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melodygelm98.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by Melodygelm98 »

My absolute favourite book is "after". It's a serie and has multiple books. Typical teenage romance books. I give it a 4 out of 4 stars personally. Absolutely loved it :D it has also been made into a movie recently, the movie was good but not as good as the book. The movie was also altered so it suited a younger adience whith a result that a lot of important details where left out or altered. :( but i really recommend the book!!
books_andpoetrii
Currently Reading: Crazy Rich Asians
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetrii.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by books_andpoetrii »

The Orb by Tara Basi. I gave it 2 out of 4 stars.
Inmortalbooklover
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by Inmortalbooklover »

Just finished Anne Frank´s Diary and I would give it a 4/4
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

The Government Inspector by Nikolay Gogol is a short, amusing play on one of Gogol's favourite subjects - the incompetence and idiocy of Russian provincial bureaucracy.

Set in a small town, the play features various local officials, shopkeepers and citizens. It is rumoured that a government inspector is coming to town to prepare a report for the central government in St Petersburg, and these officials, who are all complicit in corruption, nepotism and abuse of office mistake a travelling scoundrel for the said Government Inspector.

In a manner that is timeless in comedies involving mistaken identity, these local rogues go out of their way to curry favour with this scoundrel, who quickly realises what is happening and exploits the situation to his maximum advantage.

All very predictable of course, but highly amusing to the point of slap-stick farce, this is typical of Gogol and a lot of fun. 4 stars out of 5

paraphelion
Favorite Book: How to Say Goodbye in Robot
Currently Reading: The American Girl
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paraphelion.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by paraphelion »

I finished reading The Chain by Adrian McKinty just a few days ago and I'd give it a solid 4/4. It was suspenseful, there were a few unexpected plot twists, and the writing was overall very well done.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

You're All Mine, by Ruth Harrow. 2/4 rating.
It is a psychological thriller about a social media celebrity designer who is being stalked and harassed, causing her life to spin out of control.
The main character is portrayed as weak, naive and sometimes just completely oblivious. It's frustrating for me to read books like this. Also, many things happen that the main character seems to second guess and write off when it is obvious that it is important to the plot. I felt like the author made things too obvious and I struggled through finishing the story.
kiaraciraku
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kiaraciraku »

Just finished 1984 by G. Orwell. It has affected deeply the way that I see life and politics (especially communism). I would give an strong 9/10 because it gets repetitive at times.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Y0landa »

The last book I read was "Geraldine" by Edmund Aristone. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. I thought it was a great read, but I felt the story was moving a bit too fast, not allowing readers to get to know the two main characters more in-depth.
Lib -
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lib.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lib - »

I just finished reading and reviewing We Are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew
Tysz and I rated it 2 out of 4 stars. It is for fans of science fiction/fantasy. I found it hard to read and follow.

Lib -
Susan Solomon
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

The Neighbour at Number 18: Reload - 1 out of 4 stars.

The story itself has potential, unfortunately, there are many grammatical errors that disrupt the reading flow.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
jvillalobosm86
Currently Reading: Wellness Toolbox
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvillalobosm86.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by jvillalobosm86 »

Dragons of Eden, by Carl Sagan. I go with a 4 out of five. The book does wonders in bringing the scientific view to the layman. Only reason I don't give it a perfect score is due to the sometimes unrealistic optimism it has, compared to the world of 20 years after the book was published. However, Sagan is an author I highly recommend even for the young ones.
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

Two more books finished over the weekend. Firstly, Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre (1938) combines the author's reflections on the philosophy of existentialism within a shallow plot detailing the daily social interactions and thoughts of aspiring novelist, Antoine Roquentin.

I won't claim to have understood it all, but it's a book I'm glad I read, despite the fact that it didn't really thrill me. 3.5 stars out of 5.

Secondly, The Firm by John Grisham is a fast-paced, mass circulation novel with an improbable plot, dreadful characters and shabby dialogue which continually stretches the reader's suspension of incredulity.

Mitchell Y McDeere, an apparently brilliant law student, joins a Memphis law firm on graduation, where he is promised opportunity and riches in return for hard work, long hours and unquestioning loyalty. But all is not as it seems - the Firm is a front for illegal Mafia activity, and all of the senior partners are complicit in its secret.

Grisham keeps the plot fairly racing along, but it's mostly implausible and it doesn't pay to think to deeply about events. 3 stars out of 5

Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

I just finished "The Good Samaritan" by John Marrs.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”