Official Review: Spy Determination by Karl Braungart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Spy Determination by Karl Braungart

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spy Determination" by Karl Braungart.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Behaviour conditioning and espionage are the order of the day in this high-stakes suspense story by Karl Braungart. Spy Determination is the first book in The Remmich/Miller Series. The story follows US Army intelligence officers and friends, Captains Paul Remmich and Eric Miller, in a kidnapping mission gone wrong.

A game-changing scientific discovery on a new energy source, given to the US military, has Tariq’Allah - a secret Iraqi spy organization - doing everything possible to obtain its classified details. Intelligence officer Captain Eric Miller is targeted as the perfect asset to assist Tariq’Allah in acquiring classified data. However, the kidnapping mission goes sideways when Miller’s long-time friend, Captain Paul Remmich, is mistakenly abducted instead. Remmich is tricked into becoming their mole. Will Miller discover what his friend is up to before its too late? The Russians also appear to have a vested interest in this discovery. How far will they go to get their hands on it?

The author’s background in military intelligence, as well as his understanding of espionage tactics and diplomacy certainly shone through in this book. Although the story’s pace dragged on and off throughout the book, it did not necessarily detract from the story. The major characters were given adequate backstories, enough to make them realistic and relatable. Their emotions or reactions in certain situations were believable. I also appreciated that the author used adequate descriptive text to enhance the quality of the story.

Additionally, I liked that the author did not shy away from including strong female characters in the book. Candice, Miller’s girlfriend, was a flight captain with a commercial airline; while Remmich’s girlfriend, Lilly, ran her parent’s Bar/Restaurant. Lilly ran the adjourning hotel as well, which also belonged to her parents. Their individual personalities shone through, and it was obvious they both took pride in their respective accomplishments.

Not to be overlooked was the author’s attempt to educate the reader on some of the cultural traits unique to a few of the places mentioned in the book. For instance, it was interesting to learn that Europeans mostly eat veal, pork, and lamb. Beef is not necessarily as popular. I also learned that the Dutch cook by baking and boiling, not so much by frying. It was equally fascinating to learn that home break-ins are rare in Amsterdam, due to stiffer penalties, compared to the US.

On the downside, the book was plagued with several grammatical, typographical, and punctuation errors. A few pages were not numbered. Also, Candice was sometimes spelled, Candace. I could not determine which of the two was the intended spelling. Finally, the story ended with no plot resolution. I found this rather disappointing. The story continues in book two.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am deducting a star due to the grammar errors and other issues mentioned above. I believe the book would benefit immensely from another round of proper editing. If you enjoy stories about the shadowy world of espionage, this book is for you.

Spy Determination
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

You've made this book sound really great! I've been looking for a new spy-thriller to give a go and the cultural incorporation sounds like it'll really help the plot.

Fingers crossed I can overlook the errors, thanks for a brilliant review!
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

It's great that this story is well-researched and is written by someone who knows what he's talking about. That adds a special level of realism to the plot. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
ashlemonoff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ashlemonoff »

I'm always into and looking for a good spy book. This book right here is great. Highly recommend it
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author will interest many readers with this current topic of a new energy source. The twist of a mistaken abduction adds great intrigue to the story! I like the cultural notes that your have mentioned also. Great review.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Browneh wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 17:10 You've made this book sound really great! I've been looking for a new spy-thriller to give a go and the cultural incorporation sounds like it'll really help the plot.

Fingers crossed I can overlook the errors, thanks for a brilliant review!
Thank you so much!
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 19:42 It's great that this story is well-researched and is written by someone who knows what he's talking about. That adds a special level of realism to the plot. Thank you for your review!
Thank you for stopping by. :)
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

ashlemonoff wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 01:08 I'm always into and looking for a good spy book. This book right here is great. Highly recommend it
Thank you for stopping by. :)
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

kdstrack wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 18:05 The author will interest many readers with this current topic of a new energy source. The twist of a mistaken abduction adds great intrigue to the story! I like the cultural notes that your have mentioned also. Great review.
Thank you for your kind words. :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”