What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2018 Book of the Month, "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.
TheRVMom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Re: What do you think about the idea of knowing when you will die?

Post by TheRVMom »

I would want to know so that I could try to prevent death if I could. If we had the power to know enough ahead of time just think of all the lives that could be saved. If we are talking about scientists just being able to predict natural causes then I think we are close to that already. However, I'm sure we are a long ways off from predicting the future, like car accidents, murder, etc. It would be so cool though! I think we could do more good than harm with something like that in the RIGHT hands.
Cash-Centered Creep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cash-centered-creep.html
Latest Review: Kill Fannie Mae by Frank Latell

Post by Cash-Centered Creep »

SPasciuti wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 12:59 This is a huge theme in the book and it’s one that has been addressed in a number of other books as well. This is the first time I’ve been introduced to a book that addresses it alongside the conversation of gun control, but I was wondering what you think about this potential technology?

Is it a good idea? Would you want to know? How do you feel about science being able to predict something like this? Would you want scientists to release this information if they ever do learn how to get it?
Knowing when you are going to die is a bit like being a writer with a deadline to meet. It would concentrate your mind on what you need to do before the end, so I suppose it would be beneficial that way. Still, the concept of knowing for certain when time's up leaves me uneasy.
mercylynne
Currently Reading: China Rich Girlfriend (Crazy Rich Asians #2)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercylynne.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by mercylynne »

I will definitely be very unhappy, not knowing when you will die allows you to live life to the fullest without worries of death coming closer.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I do not want to know when I will die. I have suffered through watching too many family members slowly succumb to cancer. I don't want myself or my family to experience the same with me. I hope my death happens quickly and unexpectedly. I also hope my death happens a long, long time from now, as I have a two-year-old! If anything, this question makes me realize that I believe affairs should always be as in order as possible and we should all be living every day like it's our last.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

The number of ways this technology could be misused would exceed it's positive use (if you could call it that). I definitely think that even if it could be predicted it's definitely better that we stay in the dark and rather not know about it. I would personally never want to know about it as I would constantly worry and fret the day to come.
"Growth is the essence of life."
Gurpreet Arora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Gurpreet Arora »

I wouldn't want to know when I am going to die. I would spend to much time worrying about that time and being fixated on when I would die it would ruin the time I had left to live. I also wouldn't live life the same way as I do having no idea when I'm going to die. I think, for me anyway, it would make life less worth living
Unibird3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unibird3.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Unibird3 »

I think the idea about knowing when you will die is absurd for several reasons. The first obvious reason is no one will ever be able to create a device that can tell you when you will die, even doctors can't get death dates right (also as a firm believer in Christ, only Christ knows when you will die). Another reason is most humans aren't capable of handling such devastating news and would make drastic decisions before even thinking about what they are being faced with. The next reason is most people think that they have forever to live and knowing they will die soon may be too far above their heads to understand because death itself is confusing. Finally, most people want time to fix the mistakes they've made in their lives and achieve the year-long goals they've set.

I, for one, would not want to know when I will die because I want to live in the now. I am striving to make sure I am living my life in Jesus so that when I do die, I will be right with the Lord and have no further worries. In addition to this, I have no worries now, as I have the utmost faith in Christ and I know His saving grace.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Frankly, I would not want to know when I am going to die. It would not make a difference to me.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I wouldn't want to know. I'd waste my time worrying and counting down the days
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I definitely wouldn't want to know; it would just make me anxious. That's also why I don't read books that include it and why I won't be reading this one.
Booklover35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booklover35 »

I would rather not know when I’m going to die because I feel like every waking moment I spend will be focused on dying. I want to be able to live my life fully and not worry about tomorrow. I feel if it was meant for us to know we would.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

Terrifying. Yet simultaneously exciting. What would I do if I had this knowledge? Would it prompt me to be a better person? Or would knowing exactly when I would die give me the feeling that I can get away with anything simply because there will be no consequences, or at least in this lifetime? I suppose if that technology did exist it would be a test of each character's will. Can't say for sure which option I choose.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I think knowing the day of dying would be really helpful in planning our lives much better, because then you can have a target to complete your responsibilities before that day. So I think that's a good idea.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I think it would be a personal choice whether or not to know when you were going to die. People have all different reasons for wanting to know and some people wouldn’t want to know at all. If that kind of technology ever did exist, there would just have to be an experimental period as there is with other new technology and as shown in this book.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

If there were such a technology, I would like to know the day of me dying, because then it would be very much helpful to plan my life. But I know this choice differs from person to person according to their parsonal beliefs.

Return to “Discuss "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher”