Review by reneelu1998 -- The McCoys Before The Feud

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by reneelu1998 -- The McCoys Before The Feud

Post by ReneeBrown »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The McCoys Before The Feud" by Thomas McCoy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The McCoys Before the Feud by Thomas McCoy takes place in the time right as the American Civil War is coming to a close. As suggested by the name of the author, this book is written by a direct descendent of the original McCoy family. The McCoys are a large, southern family who feel like they have been wronged by the Northern Army. Thousands of dollars worth of gold, property, furniture, and other valuables have been seized by the North. The McCoys consider it their right to take it back in a series of raids on storage sites, which is where all the loot is being guarded. They want to rebuild their ranch, which has become desolate because of the war. The story follows the ten men as they plan and execute the raids.

I found it difficult to become invested in this book. The plot and events that take place are boring, inconsequential, and anti-climatic. I think this book would have been more exciting if it was written about the McCoys during the feud as opposed to before. As I was reading, I thought that the McCoys raiding the different storage sites would be maybe ¼ of the book. However, that event makes up the entirety of the book. Multiple times, I found myself wanting to skim. Another unfortunate part is that each chapter is headed with a brief, four or five word description of what will happen in the chapter. The reader would easily be able to read just these headings and understand the book.

The characters were flat, undeveloped, and had no individual personality. The book introduces ten men and one woman, but other than their names, there is no difference between the characters. They all talk and act the same. Most of the book is long spurts of dialogue perfectly describing their plan and what they are going to do next. The characters never talk about anything else. It would have been more interesting if the characters talked about life during the war, their families, or how they felt before and after the raids.

Considering all this, this book is not a complete failure. It is very well-written and organized. It is clearly professionally edited as I noticed no grammatical errors. However, if I wasn’t writing a review for this book I would not have read past the first three chapters. For these reasons I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I was considering giving it 2 stars because of how incredibly boring the plot is, but I have to give credit to an author that showed obvious effort in writing.

I would describe this book as historical fiction based upon real events. It is difficult for me to recommend this book to anyone I know because they wouldn’t get much enjoyment out of it. However, if you enjoy books set in the Civil War time period, then feel free to give this book a chance. There is no violence, cursing, or other inappropriate content.

The McCoys Before The Feud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This book does not sound like one that I would enjoy. Therefore, I am going to skip it. Thanks for a great review, though!
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

It's sad that this book falls short of the expectation. By look of the cover illustration, it looked promising. Thanks for the review.
ReneeBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by ReneeBrown »

Prisallen wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 07:49 This book does not sound like one that I would enjoy. Therefore, I am going to skip it. Thanks for a great review, though!
thanks for the comment!
ReneeBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by ReneeBrown »

Wanjugush wrote: 03 Sep 2019, 13:49 It's sad that this book falls short of the expectation. By look of the cover illustration, it looked promising. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for the comment!
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

Certainly not my type. It's really painful to read a book with flat characters and a boring story.
Thank you for the review.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Doesn't sound like the author has been able to bring this story to life at all. Thanks for a very honest review!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Oh, from the first paragraph of your review I thought the book might have so much potential! So sad to see that you considered it to be boring. It's a bummer, really, especially for such an intriguing family.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I'm not too familiar with the McCoys or the American Civil War in general, so I don't think I'd be super interested in this book given its lackluster execution as a story. Thanks for the review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like how this Southern family tries to right the wrongs committed by the North after the American Civil War. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Bambiears
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bambiears.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Bambiears »

Your review is very well written, you should be bestowed an award of gratitued for saving many of us readers hours of our lives.

I would have been trapped by the title just because I am interested in that era and would asume that perhaps the book would lead to all the details of why they were fighting.

Anyways thanks again, for saving me. :o.
ReneeBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by ReneeBrown »

Bambiears wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 06:39 Your review is very well written, you should be bestowed an award of gratitued for saving many of us readers hours of our lives.

I would have been trapped by the title just because I am interested in that era and would asume that perhaps the book would lead to all the details of why they were fighting.

Anyways thanks again, for saving me. :o.
Thank you so much for the comment! I really appreciate it! I'm glad I could help :)
ReneeBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by ReneeBrown »

Tomah wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 15:07 I'm not too familiar with the McCoys or the American Civil War in general, so I don't think I'd be super interested in this book given its lackluster execution as a story. Thanks for the review!
I wasn't too familiar with this particular family either. I wish it would have went into more detail and maybe even went into the events after the raids.
ReneeBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by ReneeBrown »

corinaelena wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 11:41 Oh, from the first paragraph of your review I thought the book might have so much potential! So sad to see that you considered it to be boring. It's a bummer, really, especially for such an intriguing family.
I was also hoping for an exciting book. It is well-written but lacks action and relevance to the reader.
ReneeBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by ReneeBrown »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 10:05 Doesn't sound like the author has been able to bring this story to life at all. Thanks for a very honest review!
Thanks for the comment! I really appreciate it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”