No sweetness here

The deadline for the second contest has already passed and the stories are available for reading. It had a Spring theme, and the winner got a $25 gift certificate. Stay tuned for information regarding another contest!
Are you an author, publisher or webmaster? Contact Scott if you would like to sponsor the next short story contest.
Tina3
Bookshelf Size: 0

No sweetness here

Post by Tina3 »

It was a chilly and dark Friday night, no lights in the streets, nor any blankets to share; just my ripped shirt and pants. I remember it clearly, it was 1982 in a small village called Bukavo no bigger than a suburb. News about The Congo Civil War was coming to light.
Heavy footsteps and voices were approaching. As the sounds grew louder, I was awaken by terrifying clamour of women. I quickly woke up frightened and still unsure of what was going on. My mother was in a panic; tears ran down her cheeks. I could see the look on her face, and I soon became fearful. She packed as much as she could; then she stopped, stood quietly and took a look at me. We heard someone screaming, “They’re coming! They’re coming!” My mother then told me to be silent. I stood there blank heart beating furiously and asked myself. “Who’s coming?” Suddenly my mother slapped me across my face, waking me back to my senses. She shouted, “Go wake up your brother right now!”
We heard shots being fired, my mother took my little brother in her hands and I took the bags. We went off. Now in that moment I was still doubtful of what was happening, but I was desperate to keep on running. We reached Mubobash which was 12 kilometres from our home. High-pitched screams began to send a faint echo of fathers, mothers and children crying. “Help! Help me!” I soon became anxious. Deafening sounds of bullets clashed in the air. With the fear of us being abducted by the soldiers, my mother had to return. She tried to keep me composed by telling me it was going to be alright; she then told me to throw away my bag. Although I kept the water containers with few foods.
We heard more shots coming closer to our direction. My mother instantly feared in that moment something horrific, would have occurred to us. She had told me “whatever happens don’t look back, just keep running with your brother” in my teary voice I replied “Mom what about you……..” as we gazed at each other and in those fractions of seconds she was there and then gone. Tears ran down my face, as I held the water and food tight. I ran nonstop with my little brother on my back. From the direction I ran from an echo from a far caught up, it was of a woman. Then I perceived my mother had gone back to distract the soldiers. My heart was beating fast I couldn’t breathe, it felt like someone was choking me. “No it’s not her, it can’t be her”. The absolute horror that made me irritated, outraged and worthless completely paralysed me. I didn’t remember being so scared in my life. And that was just the beginning. With that I decided I will survive. Not for myself but for Mother and my little brother. I ran as fast as I could. Apart from a frightening sound which occasionally rolled through the night, everything was silent. Dawn must have been approaching. I reached a tiny village where a small elderly widower took us.
I couldn’t remember it clearly but when we reached the tiny village, despite the unhappy mutterings, the small elderly widower nourished us. That same morning I woke up paralysed trembling, I was filled in fear. Thinking it was all a dream what relief I felt in that moment. It took time when the villagers took us in as their own. Although I forever will thank them till this day. Although from time to time I do still dream about my mother, I would find myself crying for her. But that was only because my brain always woke me up before such a horrific image of my mother covered my mind. I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t want to anyway. But surely that was not my mother. Her terrifying screams, also echoes from time to time.
Udochukwu200
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Udochukwu200 »

Nice story really loved but dnt like the fact dat the mother mother died
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Brilliant creation. Really love the thrill in initial parts of the story along with the deep feelings you imbued in it.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
sajdacosta

Post by sajdacosta »

Omg. I love how deep and touching this story was. I’m sad the mother had to die but that just shows that she loved her children. She spent her last dying breath protecting them.
holmseyjr_85

Post by holmseyjr_85 »

Love it but sad when parents passed away.
Ndzingwa

Post by Ndzingwa »

A beautiful narration of the onset of civil war in an Africa country. The untold deaths and psychological impact on women and children.
Thabisilem

Post by Thabisilem »

I enjoyed the story. This really shows that a mother can do anything for them even if it means to risk her life for her children
Maglet

Post by Maglet »

Omg. I love how deep and touching this story was. I’m sad the mother had to die but that just shows that she loved her children. She spent her last dying breath protecting them.
Anindya W
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anindya-w.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Anindya W »

The part where their mother left to distract the soldiers was heartbreaking. A mother's love knows no bounds. Great story!
Moodykelz_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moodykelz_10 »

What a touching story, I really enjoyed it and really does show a mothers love shows no mercy and unconditional. The writer did a great job setting the scene in such a short story and added suspense along the way.
blackjack1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackjack1.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Reading Device: duokan

Post by blackjack1 »

needs more editing, but is a nice story that can be even better serving as an introduction to a longer story/ book. very dramatic.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Olagunju A

Post by Olagunju A »

Love the story very interesting and easy too read but I don't think the mother should have stayed she should have just run with the children
Frisca
Favorite Book: Betrayal of Faith
Currently Reading: Quiet Mind Epic Life
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Frisca »

Vivid
Liliana Cooper

Post by Liliana Cooper »

Omg. I adore how profound and heartfelt this tale was. I'm sorry the mother had to pass away, but it only goes to show how much she cared for her kids. Her final breaths were spent defending them.
CharlotteHouston

Post by CharlotteHouston »

Maglet wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 19:57 Omg. I love how deep and touching this story was. I’m sad the mother had to die but that just shows that she loved her children. She spent her last dying breath protecting them
It was devastating to see young mother leave to divert the military. Love from a mother has no limits. great tale

Return to “Short Story Contest”