Official Review: Galagamous The Galactic Garbage Collector

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Galagamous The Galactic Garbage Collector

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Galagamous The Galactic Garbage Collector" by Julia Irwin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Julia Irwin’s Galagamous the Galactic Garbage Collector is a children’s picture book about a hermit who resides in space. Galagamous lives on a red moon with Fizbot, a furry, green animal/creature known as a Yarper. They are frequently teased by the people of another planet, Megopolary, who don’t like hermits or Yarpers. When no one is willing to do garbage collection, the mayor of Megopolary travels to the red moon and requests the hermit’s help. While doing his new job around the galaxy, the plot thickens when Galagamous and his Yarper sidekick spot an unusual object.

Everything about this story is wildly imaginative. With his zig-zag eyebrows, wavy beard, and one long blue hair on his head, Galagamous is a memorable protagonist. His green, furry friend Fizbot looks like a humongous dog with oversized teeth. The setting is also creatively written. There are other children’s books with a space setting, but not many that introduce fictional planets or showcase a garbage collector.

While the story is somewhat long for a children’s picture book, there are only a few sentences on each page. The author does a good job of describing the characters and setting without bogging down the story. I was particularly impressed that the writing was fairly easy to understand, considering the unique plot and offbeat names. The term Yarper is explained well, as a fictional animal/creature who speaks in “yap” and “yarp” sounds. However, it would have been helpful if the word “hermit” had also been explained, since it’s a key aspect of the main character’s lifestyle.

The colorful illustrations tie in closely with the text and provide good visual clues for intermediate readers. The characters have a cartoon-like appearance, and their facial expressions appropriately match the action on each page. I wouldn’t recommend the book for beginning readers, since it is relatively long and contains a few made-up words. Beginning readers tend to gain confidence by reading very short books with short, simple sentences and words. Still, the book would be a perfect choice for parents or teachers to read aloud.

There is a universal theme of wishing you could be different vs. appreciating who you are. It’s always a nice perk when a fun children’s book can also be educational. The story is edited well, with no spelling or grammatical errors. There is also a smooth flow to the plot, with no scenes that veer the storyline off track.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is an enjoyable read, with an interesting plot and offbeat characters. I would recommend the story to children ages 5-8, especially those who enjoy quirky characters and stories set in space. Children younger than the recommended age range would likely prefer a shorter book with simple sentences and concepts. Hopefully, the author will decide to turn this entertaining story into a series. I can easily picture this lovable hermit and his furry sidekick embarking on other adventures.

Galagamous The Galactic Garbage Collector
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

What a great review! You described everything so well that I want to pick this one up! I love space settings in books for children. It seems to set their imaginations free. Thanks!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

The title of this book is quite a mouth-full but im glad you thought it was easy to read. I also like the theme/lesson of this book. Reminds me of The Sneetches by Dr. Suess!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Being imaginative, colorful, having a good underlying theme, and being well written makes it a wonderful book for children. Thank you for a great review!
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Now this sounds like a great children's book. I love the alliteration of the title, the colorful illustrations, and the great message about loving who you are. Another great review. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds fun! My eight-year-old grandson would adore the alliteration. Thanks for the delightful review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This author connects with the imaginative spark of this age group. The creative setting, the unique plot, and the singular characters will surely enchant readers. As an added perk, the book presents a valuable message. Loved your review! Thanks.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

The book also seems to be about discrimination since the other world people don't the Yarper for basically speaking a different language. Just from the review, I can see that the themes maybe much deeper than at first glance. The need for those who are different for jobs that natives don't want is also a theme in the U.S. presently.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! Wriley - yes, the lessons in the story are deeper than the fun title suggests.
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

That title is a mouth-full for a kids book however it's a great review and I shall definitely recommend it to friends with young children who are always looking for good reads. Cheers
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Intuitive Catalyst wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 11:54 That title is a mouth-full for a kids book however it's a great review and I shall definitely recommend it to friends with young children who are always looking for good reads. Cheers
I agree about the title being a mouthful! It's like a tongue twister.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

This sounds like a lovely and educative children's book. Great review.
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

This books sounds so cute, I will have to get a copy :D
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Wambui-nj and jasmine-louise for the feedback. The book is fun and also has a nice, positive message.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Lovely review as always. I'm enjoying reading them. I'm not sure the book is for me, as I don't have children and I'm not around kids too much. Still, the book sounds like real fun.

Return to “Children's Books”