Official Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rainbow" by Lisa Silva.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A little girl named Eve comes home from school one day upset. When she asks her mom if she's ugly, her mom is determined to get to the bottom of the situation. Eve's mother points out that a rainbow is beautiful because it consists of many different colors or hues. Eve and her mother then explore what else has such a variety of color. Will Eve's mom convince her of her beauty?

Rainbow by Lisa Silva is a children's book that explores diversity. It is 29 pages in length and is a mixture of text and illustrations. The plot is simplistic, but it might be a bit long for younger children on their own. It would work extremely well as a read aloud book.

The story alternates with illustrations; however, there are sometimes two pictures in a row in the Kindle version, as well as two pages of text. The illustrations do flow well with the plot and are colorful enough to hold the interest of a child. They seem to be hand-drawn and add another level of interest to the book. The children depicted are of all different shades and sizes, which adds to the theme of the book. Overall, they are well done.

The pages with words have a border with flowers, but the text itself is plain black. The text could possibly have been more colorful or varied, but this was a minor issue. Most pages have two or three paragraphs, yet the vocabulary is easy without many difficult words. This isn't, though, a learn to read book. A parent or teacher would need to read this to the child until they are ready for a longer book. It's in between a picture book and a chapter book.

Eve is a darling kid with which other children would easily relate. She voices fears that we all have at one time or another. I appreciated that Eve was able to communicate with her mother, and I hope that this inspires other kids to do the same. This book would pave the way for tough conversations about bullying and differences.

The book seems extremely well-edited, as I found no errors in the text. For this reason as well as the important message, I give Rainbow 4 out of 4 stars. There was very little I would change about the book. I recommend this to any parent who has young children along with educators or even librarians.

Rainbow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I'm glad this is a well-written and we'll-illustrated children's book. We need more young children's books about diversity and accepting each other. Thank you for your great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love the message of this book, which is so important for young children. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 12:33 I'm glad this is a well-written and we'll-illustrated children's book. We need more young children's books about diversity and accepting each other. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for your comments. It's worth reading, especially if children feel different.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 14:08 I love the message of this book, which is so important for young children. Thanks for the recommendation.
I agree! Young children should feel loved and accepted no matter their color, sex, or differences. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another perceptive review! I like that there is a diversity theme. It also nice that the main character is shown talking things over with her mom. This would encourage kids to communicate with their parents when they have a problem. I can see your point about the plain black font, since children are usually attracted to bright colors!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks @bookowlie. At least the text had a border around it. It was a pretty minor issue. All in all, it was a well-done book.
—Neil Gaiman
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Such an important message, especially for children. Each person has a particular kind of beauty, in my opinion. Great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author chose a unique way to teach each person's beauty. I think many children would probably identify with Eve's dilemma, and I like that she models talking to her mother about her fears. Great review. Thanks.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

mmm17 wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 08:14 Such an important message, especially for children. Each person has a particular kind of beauty, in my opinion. Great review!
Exactly! Everyone's beautiful in their own way. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kdstrack wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 14:51 The author chose a unique way to teach each person's beauty. I think many children would probably identify with Eve's dilemma, and I like that she models talking to her mother about her fears. Great review. Thanks.
Yes! Children can be cruel, and we tend to believe others. Hopefully this book can help. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

The book teaches a lesson that all children need to hear, and it sounds like it was delivered in a very child-friendly way. Great review!
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

Rainbow by Lisa Silva is children's book that highlights the importance of diversity.By expressing her ideas with her mother,Eva explores new avenues for other children and her this step paves the way for other children to express their difference of opinion like and dislikes with one another.Another good aspect of this illustrated book is that other children would get a lesson from this and would express their opinion and share it with their parents without any hesitation.Children usually take keen interest in bright colors and the name of the book is fascinating and captivating.
The book is useful both for children parents and educators
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I loved your review. I almost want to read it, however, I don't have kids and I'm not usually around small children, so I'll probably pass on it.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kelyn wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 17:43 The book teaches a lesson that all children need to hear, and it sounds like it was delivered in a very child-friendly way. Great review!
I agree completely. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Children's Books”