Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Michelle Fred wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 09:04 Reading the Old Testament leaves me with more questions than answers. I haven't read the book, but when I do I hope it will provide answers to my most nagging questions.
I hope you get a chance to read the book and discover what it offers for yourself. For me, it made the Old Testament passages more understandable by finding new themes and explaining previously difficult concepts or wording.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

angiejack456 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 08:06 I believe books like this are a great resource to further our understanding of the Bible.
I agree that the book is a great resource for modern readers of the Bible, and it goes a long way in helping decipher Old Testament scripture. I would say that it betters the understanding of Old Testament passages.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I'm still currently reading it but I rather like the author's writing style in this book. I admittedly couldn't bring myself to finish the Old Testament due to it being quite confusing to me sometimes, add to the fact that English is my third language. So this book made me understand the Bible even more.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

leiabutler wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 17:01 I don't think it necessarily changes my understand, it perhaps adds a new perspective but this doesn't take anything away from my understanding if anything it enforces it further.
It has also made me get some of those Biblical stories from a different point of view and understanding.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
Natalie_Taylor
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

I think this was such a good idea. The Old Testament is written in a way that's hard to understand if you're not used to it. What the point of reading it if you can comprehend it? This book allows people to explore the Old Testament in words that they understand.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Aubrey Lewis wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 05:28 I'm still currently reading it but I rather like the author's writing style in this book. I admittedly couldn't bring myself to finish the Old Testament due to it being quite confusing to me sometimes, add to the fact that English is my third language. So this book made me understand the Bible even more.
I am glad to hear that this book made you understand the Bible even more. I share your experience trying to decipher the Old Testament, and I would like to know more about your experience reading this book having English as a third language.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Philip Chepsingil wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 09:51
leiabutler wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 17:01 I don't think it necessarily changes my understand, it perhaps adds a new perspective but this doesn't take anything away from my understanding if anything it enforces it further.
It has also made me get some of those Biblical stories from a different point of view and understanding.
I agree. The retelling of stories like Cain and Abel and that of Abraham were well done and provided additional perspectives making the Old Testament passages more understandable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Bettercallyourbookie wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 23:31 I think this was such a good idea. The Old Testament is written in a way that's hard to understand if you're not used to it. What the point of reading it if you can comprehend it? This book allows people to explore the Old Testament in words that they understand.
I agree that deciphering the Old Testament scripture can be a hard task if one has not familiarised themselves with Old Speech. That makes this book even more cherrished, having been written in mordern language for modern readers. I found that this book made understanding the Bible quite easy.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Philip Chepsingil wrote: 18 Aug 2019, 09:51
While deciphering the Old Testament scripture can be problematic, the quotes themselves share this problem. This book did an amazing job making biblical quotes and passages more understandable without necessarily changing the underlying message.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Joy Catap wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 07:51 Before, reading the old testament was like solving a puzzle with many missing pieces. With the book, the puzzles seem to fit! It really makes understanding the old testament much easier. I love how the author gave me a new perspective on the story of Cain and Abel.
The author's retelling of the Old Testament passages, particularly that of Cain and Abel, was done marvelously to create a better understanding by finding additional themes like envy and perseverance. It is an example of how this book aims to better the understanding of well-known Biblical passages.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

The story of Abel and Cain provided me with a better understanding regarding the negativity surrounding the creation. It gave also, clearer meanings to jealousy and envy.
Redargen120
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Redargen120 »

I was raised in a Christian home and attended Sunday School as a child. Many children's stories boil down the Old Testament Stories to their basic principles, but this book really gives a clear picture for adults.

Each passage made me want to go back and study the Old Testament writings armed with new perspective.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 09:59 As someone who has always struggled reading the Old Testament stories, I found Greenwood's writing to be a welcome reprieve. The story of Abel and Cain provided me with a better understanding regarding the negativity surrounding envy. I look forward to reading all of the passages!
I agree! I think the commentary allowed a fresh viewpoint of the classic Bible stories. I think the authors did an excellent job explaining in more modern terms the Bible stories many of us are familiar with.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke

Post by ReneeBrown »

eastandalchemy wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:14 I didn't have a religious upbringing, but I've always enjoyed reading religious literature as a way for me to understand certain people's beliefs. Since I've never read the Old Testament, I can't compare the two, but I did enjoy reading the author's take on the traditional passages.
I was also thinking that this book would be a good read for people who aren't religious but want to understand references and other aspects of religious culture. This book makes the sometimes difficult to understand Bible passages easier to digest for the modern reader.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald

Post by eastandalchemy »

reneelu1998 wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 20:15
eastandalchemy wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 11:14 I didn't have a religious upbringing, but I've always enjoyed reading religious literature as a way for me to understand certain people's beliefs. Since I've never read the Old Testament, I can't compare the two, but I did enjoy reading the author's take on the traditional passages.
I was also thinking that this book would be a good read for people who aren't religious but want to understand references and other aspects of religious culture. This book makes the sometimes difficult to understand Bible passages easier to digest for the modern reader.
I agree! Reading the bible straight away when you have no religious background can be quite challenging, so this book was very helpful in that aspect.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”