Official Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Life Inside Maggie Pincus" by David I. Billingham.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Life Inside Maggie Pincus, Book One: The Heart of the Matter by David I. Billingham began like a typical Cinderella story. Maggie Pincus was 12 years old and living with her wicked stepmother, Victoria, and her three stepbrothers after her father died. She was treated like a slave and was emotionally abused by her stepmother and brothers. She had a facial disfigurement and was not allowed to even go to school. Until one day during her stepmother’s annual garden party, zombie-like creatures came after Maggie. Maggie was safely whisked away by an unknown stranger. From there, the story takes a huge turn, and Maggie finds out things about her father and herself. Her life would never be the same.

The souls and the internals are at war. The souls live in the body’s mind while the internals control the body systems. Maggie is a soul, who ends up living with many internals. She will need to find the truth and understand what a young soul like her is capable of doing. If this sounds a bit complicated, do not worry! The book has a lot of fun elements and there are many enemies, as well as friends in the life of Maggie.

The story reveals a lot of descriptions of the many characters. The evil virus Marburg, the mean Miss Devlin, and the death walkers were some of Maggie’s foes. Maggie’s new friends were Stick, Pritch, Taylor, and a very strange-acting Roosela. The book had some humor of the kind of transportation that Maggie and others used that made me smile. I especially liked the descriptions of living inside a body. The descriptions of living inside an old woman were so realistic that I could picture the different places. I liked the “yellow lake.”

As I read the book, I kept thinking that this story had so much imagination put into it and that it was so entertaining. I have never read a book like this one. Even though originally I had thought it was going to be like the movies Inside Out or Innerspace, it was very different and quite original. There was not anything that I did not like about the book except the need for some editing. There were no boring parts. The action and mystery propelled me to keep reading to find out what would happen next.

I rate The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham 3 out of 4 stars. One star was taken away because of the more than ten errors of missing commas, misspellings, and missing words. The story plot was very imaginative, and the characters were well developed for the book to earn no less than a three-star rating. I would gladly rate it a four if the book went through some editing. Young and old alike would like this book. There was no sexual content and very little profanity. Anyone who knows a little about the human body will especially like to read about many of the scenes inside a body. If you are sensitive or especially squeamish about descriptions of body tissues or fluids, this may not appeal to you. However, there was not anything too extreme for most to be able to enjoy the crazy adventures inside a human body.

The Life Inside Maggie Pincus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

In spite of the errors, this sounds quite fun. I love the premise and that it's a unique take on a Cinderella story, thought it starts off that way. Great review. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Thanks for the review. I often find Young Adult books to be more creative and fun than books for full-fledged adults. This sounds like a good one.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

This book sounds like a really fun read with a lot of creative elements. Thank you for your review; it has made me consider reading this book.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

This sounds like a great book. It has plot was very imaginative, as well as well-developed characters. Much appreciation for the insightful review.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a really fun book. I love that it talks about what it means to live in a body and has scenes that focus on that.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This does sound like fun! I was intrigued when you compared the main character to Cinderella, and the author's use of creative and imaginative writing with no boring parts convinced me! Great review. This is one I want to read.
owachtel
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owachtel.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley

Post by owachtel »

What an interesting premise!

Have you ever read anything by N.D. Wilson? (The writing style you described sounds a lot like Wilson's.)

I really appreciate that you referenced specific characters and scenes... now I'm all the more intrigued and want to pick up the book! Thanks so much for the honest and fresh review!
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

This sounds unusual. At first I wasn’t so sure it would interest me due to the Cinderella beginning, but after reading your review, I think that it sounds quite unique and intriguing.
~Roxie~
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

owachtel wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 20:06 What an interesting premise!

Have you ever read anything by N.D. Wilson? (The writing style you described sounds a lot like Wilson's.)

I really appreciate that you referenced specific characters and scenes... now I'm all the more intrigued and want to pick up the book! Thanks so much for the honest and fresh review!
No, I haven’t read any of N.D. Wilson’s books, but I want to look them up now that you have mentioned them. Thanks for your comment.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I admire this book a lot because of it similarity with the Cinderella story which I think is one of the most profound stories of all time. thanks for an enjoyable review.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Well, this is unique. I've seen shows that take place in the human body before but I've never come across a concept quite like this one. It sounds entertaining.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Abraham Joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-joy.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Abraham Joy »

I think this book is abstractly intriguing, and I love it. I was also wondering about what a young adult fiction should take after, and this helped. Good job!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”