Official Review: Dreamers Refuse to be Victims

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Official Review: Dreamers Refuse to be Victims

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dreamers Refuse to be Victims" by Milan "Lou" Voticky.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dreamers Refuse to Be Victims is an autobiography of Milan Voticky’s life. He begins his story in Czechoslovakia and takes the reader along with him as he and his family escape into China, and later to Canada. Throughout this novel, Voticky will emphasize and demonstrate his determination not to become a victim (particularly of Fascism or Communism). In spite of just wanting a normal life, he pens “Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin had other ideas for us- the first wanted to murder us and the second wanted to imprison us.”

Voticky portrayed his mother as an incredibly strong and independent woman-if not a bit terrifying when it came to defending her family. In his early childhood, he called an older child a name. The twelve-year-old pulled out a dagger and cut Voticky on his arm. When the author’s mother learned of this, she caught the culprit and beat him badly enough to land him in a hospital.

Later, when he first heard the Flying Tiger Fighter Squadron overhead, he determined then that he would one day become a pilot. And, as predicted, he did eventually fly one day- but for the Royal Canadian Air Force.

The final chapter of his autobiography is devoted to the Dreamers. There he imparts wisdom for these Dreamers to find a country that will welcome them and allow them to become the productive citizens that they dream of being.

I especially loved the author’s sense of humor. With his quick wit, he managed to bring another perspective to his story. His dry humor had me laughing out loud in several parts of this novel. One example was when a sailor asked him where there were broads. When the author questioned him as to what a broad was, the sailor informed him it was a girl. The young Voticky responded, “What do you want girls for? We’re having a good time. Why spoil it with girls?”

Also, I appreciated the photographs and documents that he posted in many chapters throughout the book. These articles served to add a personal touch and helped me to visualize and understand his family, life, and the red tape they had to go through simply to remain alive. At just over 270 pages, this book is a compelling memoir to just how determined one man can be to avoid being a victim of his circumstances. Voticky did whatever he could to better himself and his family, all the while pursuing and achieving one dream after another.

Additionally, I loved that the author applauded common sense and thinking for yourself, and he continued to drive these points home throughout his story. Because I am not a fan of the intricacies of investment, the part of his book that addressed that topic was what I liked least. However, his investment career was mentioned in the description of the book. Therefore, to deduct points would seem unfair. I found no errors in this book, so it certainly appears to have been exceptionally edited.

Given my points noted above, I am pleased to award Dreamers Refuse to Be Victims by Milan “Lou” Voticky 4 out of 4 stars. There were no graphic scenes of violence or sex, and there were only a handful of instances of profanity. I enthusiastically recommend Voticky’s novel to anyone who loves autobiographies. Readers who prefer non-fiction may elect to pass on this one. If you are particularly interested in stories that pertain to history, immigration, piloting, or investments- you will find Voticky’s story compelling.

Dreamers Refuse to be Victims
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I love autobiographies and I am attracted to this book. I find it interesting that the last chapter of this autobiography is devoted to the dreamers, I am one of them and will definitely read it. Thank you for the review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I admire the author's attitude and determination. He certainly had an interesting life, and the humorous events keep the reading enjoyable. This looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an interesting mix of serious topics and humor. The author had a full life, and it seems like he accomplished what he set out to do. We could all learn from him. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

I love autobiographies and I am sure that I will enjoy this one, thanks to your great review. I love the author's sense of determination.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I love a good autobiography, especially if it is written from an encouraging point of view. Seeing that the novel also has humor in it and, apparently, a few investment stories, I might suggest it to my boyfriend. t seems like the type of book he would enjoy.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

Dreamers Refuse to be Victims by Milan "Lou" Voticky. This is an autobiography of Milan Voticky' s life.The author is a man of dogged courage and does not lose heart in the face of many trials and tribulations.In the face of the atrocities of Nazism and Communism he does not show himself a victim rather faces it bravely.By dint of his hard work and determination he along with his family achieved his dream of what he wanted to be.At the same time, he also advises others to go to such countries where they can materialize their dreams and can use their potentials for the betterment of that country.This book is full of humor which he uses in an interesting way.This book provides an inspirations for others not to be cowed down before repressions and atrocities rather face it bravely come what may.This book is beneficial for every body.
ShwetaDandy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shwetadandy.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ShwetaDandy »

The title of the book and your review reminded me of Esther Perel's conversation with Dax Shepherd on an 'Armchair Expert' podcast episode. Esther Perel is the daughter of Sala and Icek who were both Holocaust survivors. She said that she learned there is a difference between "surviving" and wanting to live life from them which really shaped her own perspective on life. One sees themselves as the victim, the other looks at the experience as a gift to live life once again.

Thanks for a fantastic review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I am not usually a big fan of autobiographies, but this book sounds very intriguing. I may have to may an exception in this case. Thank you for an interesting and well-written review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

OuKoyoo wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 11:19 I love autobiographies and I am attracted to this book. I find it interesting that the last chapter of this autobiography is devoted to the dreamers, I am one of them and will definitely read it. Thank you for the review.
In that case, I think you would definitely love his book- and especially the last chapter. Thank you so much, OuKoyoo, for your comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 20:03 I admire the author's attitude and determination. He certainly had an interesting life, and the humorous events keep the reading enjoyable. This looks good. Thanks for the recommendation.
I admired him too, kdstrack. I'm sure his humor helped immensely in handling the blows that life dealt him. Thanks so much for your comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 20:10 This sounds like an interesting mix of serious topics and humor. The author had a full life, and it seems like he accomplished what he set out to do. We could all learn from him. Thanks!
I am amazed at all he managed to accomplish, and all the while just trying to stay alive. Yes, there are lessons here for everyone. Thank you so much, kandscreeley, for your comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

MatereF wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 00:20 I love autobiographies and I am sure that I will enjoy this one, thanks to your great review. I love the author's sense of determination.
I was also impressed with Voticky's determination. Thanks so much for reading my review and for your comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

corinaelena wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 07:33 I love a good autobiography, especially if it is written from an encouraging point of view. Seeing that the novel also has humor in it and, apparently, a few investment stories, I might suggest it to my boyfriend. t seems like the type of book he would enjoy.
I hope he enjoys reading it as much as I did. Thank you so much for your comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Nizar Ali Shah wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 10:36 Dreamers Refuse to be Victims by Milan "Lou" Voticky. This is an autobiography of Milan Voticky' s life.The author is a man of dogged courage and does not lose heart in the face of many trials and tribulations.In the face of the atrocities of Nazism and Communism he does not show himself a victim rather faces it bravely.By dint of his hard work and determination he along with his family achieved his dream of what he wanted to be.At the same time, he also advises others to go to such countries where they can materialize their dreams and can use their potentials for the betterment of that country.This book is full of humor which he uses in an interesting way.This book provides an inspirations for others not to be cowed down before repressions and atrocities rather face it bravely come what may.This book is beneficial for every body.
You are absolutely correct in your assessment of this book. I do think there is something in it to inspire everyone. Thanks so much for your very insightful comments! :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”