Official Review: Escapes by Vic DiMartino

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: Escapes by Vic DiMartino

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escapes" by Vic DiMartino.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War is always the final arbiter, and its aftermath is immeasurable in the human suffering it causes.
Escapes, by Vic DiMartino, is a historical fiction novel that details the aftermath of WWI and WWII. The book focuses on how the lives of the Italian people were affected during the conflict period and on how the nation suffered in the time of Mussolini's fascist regime. From this work, we also get a glimpse of how the population became victims of the actions of their military; and Arturo DiMartino's family was classified among this casualty. Despite being one of the most powerful Sicilian politicians of that time, his households underwent a severe form of bitter exile. Arturo is Vic DiMartino's grandfather, and through this novel, the author highlights some of the horrifying treatment that befell his ancestors as a result of their resistance towards the cruel government. One action of Arturo's created a chain reaction and influenced the life of the author's father, Nino, and Vic's personal life as well.

The book is divided into three parts having eight to eleven chapters each. In the first part, Escape from Tyranny, Vic DiMartino takes us back on a journey through history by narrating the circumstances that pushed Arturo into a crucial decision. He was an influential politician who was threatened by the Trapani Blackshirts, whose "mission was to enforce obedience to Il Duce's edicts by force and, if necessary, by brutal force." When they realized that Arturo was resisting their regime and that his popularity among supporters of anti-fascism may start a revolution, the Blackshirts decided to cook up a crafty plan to get rid of him permanently. They openly discussed Arturo's assassination plot, resulting in Vincenzo hearing them and alerting his friend. The Warning is the opening chapter where the statesman, along with his wife and their eight children, decide to leave behind their homeland and the political privileges. It is from this point that the family begins to experience a series of complications with consequences that trickled down to the generations in Arturo's lineage. It is commonly known that battles have the power to leave deep scars which last for a lifetime. Will they be able to cope with the exile? And where will they escape to?

Some historical works are known to be somewhat overwhelming, but this comprehensive scenery has highlighted not only the war aftermath's perspective but also, the author's smooth and natural writing style. The entire narration has been cleanly explained through the elaborated paragraphs and use of dialogue, which I believe has made this work to be artistically outstanding. I would highly suggest Escapes to all lovers of history including students, professors, and anybody who would like to have a taste of the war's effects from an Italian angle. The only audience that I can think of who might not enjoy this personalized commemoration would be those who are not fans of historical fiction. Although Escapes is categorized as being of this genre, the essence of the book is based on a true story and real events, so the non-fictional admirer could appreciate it too.

The black and white photographs emphasized the vivid scenery and brought the characters to life. Their personalities and reactions are profoundly genuine - a glowing ingredient that helped me comprehend the difficult decisions that each generation made, appropriate to their era. I was absorbed by the cursiveness and refinement of the book's organized structure. The storyline was fluently correlated with the transition of the descendants, the factual data of the two World Wars, and the family impact. All these aspects we're braided in an original and white-collar writing tone.

It appears that it has been professionally edited, but unfortunately, I have found more than ten minor errors. Although there were just some missing hyphens and determines, it persisted through the whole work. However, they did not distract me from the storyline. It's difficult to drop one star in these kinds of cases, but I believe a smoothly polish of the editorial will launch this book to the perfect score. There are only a few words (less than five) that might be considered a borderline profane language. But, as an overall, I appreciated the educative note that this novel offers, along with the valuable historical information and the suspense that I felt till the last page. Therefore, I'm giving Escapes 3 out of 4 stars.

Escapes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Wow - this kind of book is about as close to "first hand accounts" as we can get anymore. I'm glad to see that authors are still discussing the topic, even as it fades into history. I also love looking at the wars in terms of their civilian effects, rather than just at the "moves and countermoves" from the top brass. This one seems interesting; thank you for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one is too historical for me. I don't mind some history added in, but this would be overboard for me. I can see how major history fans would enjoy this, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I like historical novels and I'm interested in the period this one covers, so I might give it a go. Thanks for a great review!
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Historical novels often appeal to the people the novels would relate to I believe. As much as I enjoy history, historical novels are another story. But your review has been well written and very informative. Thank you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an interesting book that may appeal more to history buffs than some historical fiction fans. It's a shame about the editing issues but deducting a star is necessary given the errors you described.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

I am not a history fan but this book seems quite interesting l like the plot of the story. It's very rich in the historical background. Will read
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

evraealtana wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 12:42 Wow - this kind of book is about as close to "first hand accounts" as we can get anymore. I'm glad to see that authors are still discussing the topic, even as it fades into history. I also love looking at the wars in terms of their civilian effects, rather than just at the "moves and countermoves" from the top brass. This one seems interesting; thank you for your review.
kandscreeley wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 18:34 This one is too historical for me. I don't mind some history added in, but this would be overboard for me. I can see how major history fans would enjoy this, though. Thanks!
Brendan Donaghy wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 03:03 I like historical novels and I'm interested in the period this one covers, so I might give it a go. Thanks for a great review!
Dee_218 wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 13:19 Historical novels often appeal to the people the novels would relate to I believe. As much as I enjoy history, historical novels are another story. But your review has been well written and very informative. Thank you.
Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 11:59 This sounds like an interesting book that may appeal more to history buffs than some historical fiction fans. It's a shame about the editing issues but deducting a star is necessary given the errors you described.
essyallan7475 wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 22:54 I am not a history fan but this book seems quite interesting l like the plot of the story. It's very rich in the historical background. Will read
Thank you, guys, for your comments! The author wrote this book with the intention of recording the war's effects that it had on his family and on society, precisely not to be overshadowed by the passage of time. I hope you'll give it a try and enjoy it! If this genre is not on your favorites list, I hear you! I appreciate your time!
~Tayma Tameem
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This sounds like an interesting and fascinating read. I love reading historical fiction books and thus I would like to read it. Thanks a lot for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Kibetious wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 11:54 This sounds like an interesting and fascinating read. I love reading historical fiction books and thus I would like to read it. Thanks a lot for the review.
Thank you for your comment, Kibetious! I hope you enjoy it! Happy reading!
~Tayma Tameem
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Unfortunately, war does continue to have an influence for generations after it is over. This sounds like a very interesting book that I would love to read. Thank you for a great review!
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Prisallen wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 08:19 Unfortunately, war does continue to have an influence for generations after it is over. This sounds like a very interesting book that I would love to read. Thank you for a great review!
Thank you for stopping by, Prisallen! I see the effects of war as the blast of a powerful explosion, which indeed, has a wide range of action. This book brings a glimpse of that blast. Enjoy it!
~Tayma Tameem
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Such a great premise. I want to read this book ASAP. Thanks for your great review, InStoree. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

LinaMueller wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 03:20 Such a great premise. I want to read this book ASAP. Thanks for your great review, InStoree. :tiphat:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Lina! I wish you enjoy your reading! :tiphat:
~Tayma Tameem

Return to “Historical Fiction”