Who is your worst character . And state the reasons.

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Fiyin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Who is your worst character . And state the reasons.

Post by Fiyin »

I think mine is Lucifer. Despite the author giving us an insight into his character, he is still the villain.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I would say Abel. Eventhough he is the good brother, Cain was a better defined character. I can relate to Cain more.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

According to me, the worst character is Pharoah because of the way he oppressed the people of God.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

For me there really was no worst character because all of them (good and bad) had their specific roles to play in the divine purpose of God.But if I were to speak literally, I would say Goliath.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Fiyin wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 12:30 I think mine is Lucifer. Despite the author giving us an insight into his character, he is still the villain.
How does anyone beat Lucifer as a selection when speaking about Old Testament villains? He was my selection too mainly because of his betraying his fathers love and trust and working against mankind.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

wow, good topic! I would have to pick Sarah, Abraham's wife, because seems to radiate shallowness. She didn't trust God or Abraham to give her a son, so she talked Abraham into using Hagar. Then when Hagar had a son, she was jealous and wanted both of them cast out of the family.
Karismatic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Karismatic »

The characters each had a purpose to serve throughout the novel and each character helped move along the plot. The worst character was probably Lucifer.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Renu G wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 12:16 According to me, the worst character is Pharoah because of the way he oppressed the people of God.
I agree that the Pharoah was horrible to both the Jews and his own people. But I'm not too firm because there's still debate whether he was horrible by his own choice or God "hardened his heart".
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Inkroverts wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 20:13
Renu G wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 12:16 According to me, the worst character is Pharoah because of the way he oppressed the people of God.
I agree that the Pharoah was horrible to both the Jews and his own people. But I'm not too firm because there's still debate whether he was horrible by his own choice or God "hardened his heart".
That's an interesting point!
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Lucifer is the villain and still is to this day. Honestly, Lucifer acts like someone who is jealous of someone else. Sad thing is, he could have asked for anything from God but chose to be jealous instead.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herbstlicht.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Herbstlicht »

There are many ugly characters to choose from 😊 I really dislike Sarah and how she incarnated many flaws of the human mind and spirit.
Ashley Louise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-louise.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ashley Louise »

Inkroverts wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 20:13
Agreed! I felt like Pharoah could possibly be the worst as well, but this is an excellent point I didn't consider so I may need to rethink my "worst" decision.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I don't like Potiphar's wife. She falsely accused Joseph of assaulting her just because he wouldn't sleep with her. Joseph was sent to prison because of the false accusation. Also, Joseph's brothers were pretty bad too since they sold him as a slave.
tkpumpkin
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkpumpkin.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by tkpumpkin »

Thehorselover wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 14:43 wow, good topic! I would have to pick Sarah, Abraham's wife, because seems to radiate shallowness. She didn't trust God or Abraham to give her a son, so she talked Abraham into using Hagar. Then when Hagar had a son, she was jealous and wanted both of them cast out of the family.
I agree she is unlikable. I can relate to her on the Hagar issue. I can sometimes relate it to being a stepmom, unfortunately. I can't imagine having to live in the same household as my husband's "baby mama" and having her around making comments at me all day. Also she keeps it real and makes me realize I'm not the only woman who has struggled when it comes to my step kids.
tkpumpkin
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkpumpkin.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by tkpumpkin »

My least favorite character that's not a villain (obviously satan is the worst), would be Jacob. He was a mamma's boy, and his brother Esau was the hard-working loyal one who was out in the field hunting, bring home game for dinner. Jacob stole Esau's inheritance by pretending to be Esau when their father was blind on his death bed. He also tricked Esau into giving up his birthright for a bowl of soup. It seems to me he was a cunning mamma's boy who would not have been a good dude to have in the family or as a brother. But God nonetheless blessed him. And then Esau ended up trying to slay him so maybe God knew Esau was not right in his heart the whole time.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”