Official Review: The Lady in the Coppergate Tower

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Lady in the Coppergate Tower

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lady in the Coppergate Tower" by Nancy Campbell Allen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hazel Hughes is a Healer who works with the talented surgeon Sam MacInnes. Sam saved Hazel's life years ago and she has had a crush on him ever since, but knows that their differing social statuses would not allow them to court. In fact, she's sure that Sam doesn't view her in a romantic light. He's nothing but her employer and the man who sometimes patches her up after a bout of reckless indulgence. For Hazel has a problem that not even the good doctor can help her with. She has always dreamed of a young woman who looks almost identical to her. Recently, however, that young woman has started to go mad and the emotions she sends to Hazel through their link in the dream world are starting to affect Hazel in her waking hours.

Imagine Hazel's surprise when a dark man with a dangerous aura shows up one day claiming that he is Hazel's uncle and that she was abducted at birth, tearing her away from her true mother and a twin sister, who is now dangerously ill. From her visions, Hazel knows that what her uncle is saying is true. However, there's something about him that she just can't trust. Sam feels the exact same way, and he refuses to let Hazel travel to another country alone with a strange man. So they set off together on a quest to save Hazel's sister and find out the truth behind Hazel's creepy uncle.

The Lady in the Coppergate Tower by Nancy Campbell Allen is actually the third book in Allen's Steampunk Proper Romance series. The first two books are retellings of Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty, whereas The Lady in the Coppergate Tower is the steampunk retelling of Rapunzel. Although characters from the previous books have cameos in this one, Allen does a good job of explaining their relationships to the main characters and includes bits of what happened in previous books. The Lady in the Coppergate Tower could definitely be read as a standalone book, but I believe reading the other books in the series first would help readers enjoy the book even more.

The book's editing was excellent. I only found two errors in total. There were a few areas where the writing was a little awkward, but everything made sense after I slowed down to reread. I think the author did a great job using Victorian-style speech and stylization consistently throughout the book. My only complaint would be that the plot is a little too simple for my tastes. I enjoyed the steampunk setting and getting to know the characters, but there were absolutely no plot twists or surprises. The reader knows that Hazel and Sam are attracted to each other right from the start, so it's just a matter of waiting for something to happen between them. Although it wasn't really feasible with the journey they were on, having a rival for Hazel's affections would have livened the story up a bit.

Others may enjoy a simple story without much drama, but for me it means a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I would highly recommend this book to fans of steampunk and historical settings, as well as readers who are looking for a short, simple, and innocent romance with a bit of action on the side. There was absolutely no swearing or erotic content, so it is appropriate for all readers. After reading this book, I am genuinely interested in reading the rest of the books in the Steampunk Proper Romance series.

The Lady in the Coppergate Tower
View: on Bookshelves
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

The book seems like a light, feel good read, nothing heavy. I can picture myself relaxing in bed with it. Thanks for your review.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I love fairy tale retellings. I'm also happy to see this one is free from bad language and sex scenes. Looks like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for the nice review!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Fairytale retellings are fun to read! The steampunk element mixed with the fairytale sounds fun even if the plot is a bit simple.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Michelle Fred wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 04:55 The book seems like a light, feel good read, nothing heavy. I can picture myself relaxing in bed with it. Thanks for your review.
That's exactly how I would describe it! Perfect for a light read to relax after a long day.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This seems like just the right amount of romance mixed with suspense. I like the way you included a brief description of the rest of the series. This looks good! Thanks for the recommendation.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I would love to read this romance series. Sounds like an interesting one. Graet review.
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

ohh this review has me intrigued!! I really love stories involving twins/doppelgänger. I am for sure reading this!!
kdevilbiss
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Fox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kdevilbiss »

I love to read romance when I'm stressed, and this one seems like a perfect fit! I love stories about doctors, and while it doesn't seem like that aspect features prominently in this novel, it still intrigues me. Thank you for your review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Sounds like an interesting book. I had never thought I would learn of a retelling of Rapunzel in book form apart from watching it on television. Thanks for the review!
Ellechor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ellechor »

Ohh!! I really loved to read mixed romance and fairytale stories.. I loved to read more

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”