Official Review: How Slime Came to Be by Mark Luers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: How Slime Came to Be by Mark Luers

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How Slime Came to Be" by Mark Luers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How Slime Came to Be: Introducing Slimey by Mark Luers is a rhyming children's picture book that teaches young readers about friendship, kindness, sharing, and forgiveness. The 39-page book features colorful cartoonish illustrations by Patrick Carlson.

Luers is an elementary school teacher with twenty-seven years of experience. His professionally-edited debut book is the first in the Slimey series; the second and third books are already in the works. His rhyming story about Troy and his gooey new friend, Slimey, will amuse children ranging from preschool age to beginning readers. Slimey is first introduced in a nonsensical fashion, but Luers cleverly uses the silly character to teach themes related to friendship and forgiveness. As Slimey selects what hue he will be, young readers may learn some new colors like lavender and lime.

I particularly enjoyed a few bonus features that will appeal to young readers. At the end of the book, there is a recipe for slime, allowing kids to create their own "Slimey." The author's page is written as though he is speaking to children. Luers introduces himself and encourages kids to think about friendship and how they treat others. He also shares a link to his website that provides fun extras like his first attempts at drawing Slimey and his decision to hire a professional illustrator. Young readers are invited to share their ideas for his upcoming sequels with the opportunity to win a free book. I also appreciated Luers' humor; he dedicated the book to his "three favorite slime balls." I immediately imagined kids giggling as they read it.

There isn't anything I dislike about the book. I must admit from an adult perspective, I find one of the illustrations off-putting, but in all honesty, kids will probably love the close up of Joe's mouth and the hot dog he is eating.

For its teaching potential and entertaining appeal to young readers, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to young readers through the age of eight and to parents, grandparents, and teachers.

How Slime Came to Be
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

The book sure sounds fun; I like that it's educative too. I like children's books a lot they feel so nostalgic.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

I love children's books. They are fun to read. This one teaches kids about friendship and sharing. Thats good. Its had a lesson in it
Ember-rose
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ember-rose »

A really good children’s book, I would definitely recommend. Read this to my baby brother and he really seemed to be interested, so if you looking for a book to keep a child interested here you go.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I do not like children's books; but this one sounds like a great children's books and would recommend it to anyone who cares about children's books. Thank you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Michelle Fred wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 15:52 The book sure sounds fun; I like that it's educative too. I like children's books a lot they feel so nostalgic.
Thanks for your comment, Michelle.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

essyallan7475 wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 19:34 I love children's books. They are fun to read. This one teaches kids about friendship and sharing. Thats good. Its had a lesson in it
I agree. Thank you for commenting.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ember-rose wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 23:26 A really good children’s book, I would definitely recommend. Read this to my baby brother and he really seemed to be interested, so if you looking for a book to keep a child interested here you go.
Thanks for sharing.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

OuKoyoo wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 05:53 I do not like children's books; but this one sounds like a great children's books and would recommend it to anyone who cares about children's books. Thank you.
Thank you. :tiphat:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book will definitely appeal to kids! (Not so much to parents.) Slime is quite popular among children, and they LOVE to experiment with the different recipes. I like the use of slime to form and strengthen friendships. The author's ideas for sequel suggestions from the kids is superb. Thanks for the great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 11:44 This book will definitely appeal to kids! (Not so much to parents.) Slime is quite popular among children, and they LOVE to experiment with the different recipes. I like the use of slime to form and strengthen friendships. The author's ideas for sequel suggestions from the kids is superb. Thanks for the great review!
I agree that this book appeals more to kids than parents--including myself--but the author cleverly utilizes the gooey character. :lol2:
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

Aww this sounds like such a sweet book. Thanks for the review.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

With the rise in bullying among young children today, it sounds like a really educative read
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Hope I can recommend this book to my son. But this generation has bigger challenge for the parents nowadays. Most of he children today, instead, they play games from their gadget than read Books. Nice review. Thanks.

Return to “Children's Books”