Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Wallaceo
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wallaceo.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Does the book change your understanding of the Bible?

Post by Wallaceo »

I would say that it gives more insight to my understanding of the Bible. To say that it has changed my understanding no what it did bring fort some further clarity.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Having never read Bible, I don't think I qualify to compare the two. However, The story about Abraham and then cain and abel was very interesting to read as it was very close to my own religion.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Wallaceo wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 03:51 I would say that it gives more insight to my understanding of the Bible. To say that it has changed my understanding no what it did bring fort some further clarity.
Clarity or a better understanding, I think that you are definitely agreeing with my assessment of what the book does for well known Biblical passages.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Areej Tahir wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 08:40 Having never read Bible, I don't think I qualify to compare the two. However, The story about Abraham and then cain and abel was very interesting to read as it was very close to my own religion.
I find that very interesting and I will definitely try to reread the author's retelling of the passage and see if new themes and other information are present.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

B Creech wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 03:22 I am definitely understanding the stories of the Old Testament better through this book. When I read them directly from the Bible I tend to get caught up in trying to figure out some of the words and names and I miss the meaning! The simplicity of the language the author uses in the book is helping me want to read story after story without pause because I don't have to sit and try to figure out who is who and what a certain word really means. Plus, with the stories put into chronological order, it makes everything I've always read in the Old Testament so much clearer.
I completely agree that the Old Testament scriptures are often written in Athurian English and can be hard to decipher. The author did an amazing job making the passages understandable through modernizing the words. I am glad you enjoyed the book.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

Certainly this book is far easier to read than the Bible, so I would recommend it to anyone interested in studying the Old Testament. The last quarter of the book is fantastic resources. There were a couple stories that I expected to be longer (because I thought I knew them and knew more details) but overall I like the brevity of the stories. The stories of Cain and Abel I benefitted from as I did not know all those details.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

vermontelf wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 13:26 Certainly this book is far easier to read than the Bible, so I would recommend it to anyone interested in studying the Old Testament. The last quarter of the book is fantastic resources. There were a couple stories that I expected to be longer (because I thought I knew them and knew more details) but overall I like the brevity of the stories. The stories of Cain and Abel I benefitted from as I did not know all those details.
I enjoyed the story of Cain and Abel and benefitted a lot from the additional themes I got to explore like Envy and perseverance. The book was easier to read being written in a brevitous manner that mordern readers will definitely appreciate. I believe this book went a long way in making those Old Testament passages more understandable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Wallaceo wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 03:51 I would say that it gives more insight to my understanding of the Bible. To say that it has changed my understanding no what it did bring fort some further clarity.
I completely agree with your assessment. The book does seem to add extra insight to a readers understsnding of the big book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Areej Tahir wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 08:40 Having never read Bible, I don't think I qualify to compare the two. However, The story about Abraham and then cain and abel was very interesting to read as it was very close to my own religion.
It is interesting to note that the story of Abraham is close to your religion and i do hope you get a chance to read the Bible. What was your opinion on how easy and understandable the passages in this book were?
abhayr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by abhayr »

In today’s busy world, it may be complex to prioritize everyday Bible study. Many of us are dashing about as quickly as we get up, and don’t stop relocating unless we go to bed at night time. Even if the desire is there, lifestyles often take precedence over reading the Bible continually. so it is changing our understanding.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 05:06 The book consists of over 200 passages from the Old Testament from the story of creation, Abraham, Jacob and Joseph, to David and Solomon and even King Ahab. The author used a unique interpretation to expand on these passages. Did it affect how you understand the Old Testament?
What passage affected your understanding?
The book doesn't change my understanding per say, but it improved my understanding. I like that the point of this book is geared towards a positive perspective, irrespective of the characters we thought were bad, like Lucifer.
nicolelong_
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by nicolelong_ »

This book didn’t change my understanding of the Bible, it just deepened my understanding of it because I have read the Old Testament and could only understand some portions of it.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html

Post by essyallan7475 »

It helped understand the bible. It brought thing to a new light. Very inspiring
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html

Post by essyallan7475 »

Yes it did. The book helped me find my faith again . It gave me hope
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

abhayr wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 16:26 In today’s busy world, it may be complex to prioritize everyday Bible study. Many of us are dashing about as quickly as we get up, and don’t stop relocating unless we go to bed at night time. Even if the desire is there, lifestyles often take precedence over reading the Bible continually. so it is changing our understanding.
That is a unique perspective on prioritising and understanding the Bible in the modern everyday hectic life most people lead, and I agree with that assessment completely. The book goes a long way in making the Bible more understandable.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”