Recommendation of books for teen agers

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Henga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Recommendation of books for teen agers

Post by Henga »

Hi there! I bought The House of Night is a thrilling book for my teen aged son. Now I am looking for other books like that one for my son to Explore Life through Literature. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
ashley31606
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ashley31606 »

I might be able to help. Could you tell me who The House of Night is by? I'd like to research it and see if I know any books like it.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

The GONE series by Michael Grant is an excellent teen-age book series in my opinion. The series (6 books in total, around 400 pages each) follows our protagonist Sam, and his 'friends' as everyone over the age of 15 disappears. It deals with leadership, the difficulties and dynamics of different relationships during hardship, and a little hint of romance - with plenty of action!

Another book I could recommend would be One of us is lying by Karen M. McManus. It was sitting on my shelves for the best part of a year before I decided to pick it up, and it was such a mistake! I should have read it the second I got it. An amazing mystery and thriller. 5 kids walk into afterschool detention, but only 4 come out alive. Perhaps it would be interesting for him to try to figure out who did it before the novel ends!
Smharden
Currently Reading: The Birth
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by Smharden »

The house of night by P.C.Cast is not just one book it’s a series followed by another series called house of night other world it’s an amazing series that will make you keep wanting more I personally read the whole series and started the new series still waiting for the next book out of the other world to come out read it you will get addicted.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

The Hiding Place is a beautiful biography by Cory ten Boom about her life of hiding Jews during the Holocaust.
-Thea M. Frederick
Megan_89
Currently Reading: Flare
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Megan_89 »

Browneh wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 13:05 The GONE series by Michael Grant is an excellent teen-age book series in my opinion. The series (6 books in total, around 400 pages each) follows our protagonist Sam, and his 'friends' as everyone over the age of 15 disappears. It deals with leadership, the difficulties and dynamics of different relationships during hardship, and a little hint of romance - with plenty of action!
I second this one. The Gone series was one of the best YA book series I've ever read.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

I am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak. This is a standalone novel, around 350 pages (but doesn't drag at all), about a boy who is chosen to live a much greater life than he ever could have imagined for himself. It's a wonderful (and incredibly inspiring) representation of the amazing things that can happen when one person decides to help someone in need. It's got suspense, love, comic relief, and a dog you'll wish you could meet.

Zusak has such a gift for creating beautiful characters (not without flaws ... very realistic) that you cannot help but fall in love with. I read this book both in high school and college ... and will likely give it a third go sometime soon.

Other fantastic Zusak reads are When Dogs Cry (this one is quite a bit shorter) and Bridge of Clay (this is a pretty long one, 500+ pages, but WELL worth it).
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

The Shadow and Bone trilogy and the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo! All of them kept me on my toes and I couldn't put them down! They're also really diverse and have an excellent plot.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

EmmaZ wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 06:50 The Shadow and Bone trilogy and the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo! All of them kept me on my toes and I couldn't put them down! They're also really diverse and have an excellent plot.
I would also suggest the Six of Crows books by Leigh Bardugo. All of the characters are teens and the plot is really intriguing, but it stands out against the other cliche books of the young-adult genre. :)
gatuguta2030
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatuguta2030.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by gatuguta2030 »

Browneh wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 13:05 The GONE series by Michael Grant is an excellent teen-age book series in my opinion. The series (6 books in total, around 400 pages each) follows our protagonist Sam, and his 'friends' as everyone over the age of 15 disappears. It deals with leadership, the difficulties and dynamics of different relationships during hardship, and a little hint of romance - with plenty of action!

Another book I could recommend would be One of us is lying by Karen M. McManus. It was sitting on my shelves for the best part of a year before I decided to pick it up, and it was such a mistake! I should have read it the second I got it. An amazing mystery and thriller. 5 kids walk into afterschool detention, but only 4 come out alive. Perhaps it would be interesting for him to try to figure out who did it before the novel ends!
Thanks for recommending 'one of us is lying' by Karen M.I will get it for my nephew.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

azidy wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 14:13
EmmaZ wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 06:50 The Shadow and Bone trilogy and the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo! All of them kept me on my toes and I couldn't put them down! They're also really diverse and have an excellent plot.
I would also suggest the Six of Crows books by Leigh Bardugo. All of the characters are teens and the plot is really intriguing, but it stands out against the other cliche books of the young-adult genre. :)
Yes! I completely agree with you! I can't wait to see what story she comes up with next!
Sevin_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevin-a.html
Latest Review: Spirit of the Season by Brian Lamont

Post by Sevin_A »

Uu yess!! Six of crows is one of my favs :D i was completely shattered into pieces by the end of the two books.wish there were more books in the series though((

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”