What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Re: What do you think about romance and relationships in this book?

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Cynthia can't have a romantic relationship with Dan and Sky simultaneously. It appears odd; she is not trustworthy. The romance in this novel is baseless. Maybe, for fiction, it is acceptable. Relationship between two techies seems strong and interesting.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Well, I think that romance is good till it is a part of the story not if the complete story is oriented in it.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Caitlin_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlin.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Caitlin_ »

The romance and relationships were more annoying than anything. It was all over the place.
cassibear13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cassibear13 »

I think that the romance int he is book should have been developed so much better. I don't think that having a boring romantic relationship should ever justify cheating, and the issues with Dan that arose in the ending of the book were really just ways to make the cheating seem justified and a good decision in the long run. The romance was a disappointing factor of this book, especially as someone who leans toward the romance genre.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

With such complicated relationships the plot needs to be really strong or the story might end up being cringe worthy. And I absolutely do not support the instant live scenarios portrayed in books. They are far from reality or genuineness.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

maggi3 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 00:12 It felt to me like vilifying Dan at the end was just a way to make Sky and Cynthia’s relationship more acceptable. She should have broken up with Dan before she did anything with Sky. Having a boring relationship is no excuse for cheating, since there was no evidence at that point that Dan was obsessive and controlling of Cynthia. Instant love is never likable or believable to me, because I don’t think you can truly love someone that quickly. Sky and Cynthia’s relationship felt ridiculous to me.
Your comment is so true in two aspects: 1. Boredom should never be a reason for cheating. Cheating should never have a reason in the first place. Moreover, boredom and routine are good in any relationship sometimes. 2. Falling in love with someone instantly happens in fairy tales only. People try to simulate it in real life and it almost always ends in disaster.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

Hutygags wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 15:28 I have my doubts that a man addressing a woman as "beautiful" the first time he sees her, while she is stuck in traffic, would have any measure of charm to it.

Cynthia doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Supposedly, no man has ever told her he loves her, but her license plate is "ILUVDAN." I don't think she would wear her heart on her sleeve so much that she would announce her love to the world if she was ready to betray it at a literal moment's notice, and especially if the partner hadn't expressed the same feeling for her.
A man addressing a woman as "beautiful" while stuck in traffic and if it is the first time he sees her, he will probably get a few swear words in return in real life. :lol:
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
FREDFDK
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: Buried
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredfdk.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by FREDFDK »

It wasn't romantic for me at all...I was wondering Dan started as this smart and romantic guy. But at the end he seem to be dull and indecisive. Cynthia's was like some immature adolescent.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I didn't really think the interactions with Sky were believable at all. She just goes with him to his apartment, when she has a job in security and knows how dangerous that can be? I find it hard to believe that they fell in love that fast as well.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I kept having the feeling that Sky is shady and wasn't comfortable with the instant love he claimed to feel for Cynthia. The whole thing seemed fake and forced to me. As far as I'm concerned, Cynthia was too cheap and open, not able to put up any dignity in protecting her relationship at the time when she was still in it with Dan. If the affair was boring, she should have spiced it up and if that failed, thsn she should have ended it honorably before getting involved with someone else.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I have issues with Cynthia and Sky's relationship, I found it awkward and like others have stated above, it seemed so stereotyped.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Kibetious wrote: 08 Jun 2019, 01:05
maggi3 wrote: 07 Jun 2019, 00:12 It felt to me like vilifying Dan at the end was just a way to make Sky and Cynthia’s relationship more acceptable. She should have broken up with Dan before she did anything with Sky. Having a boring relationship is no excuse for cheating, since there was no evidence at that point that Dan was obsessive and controlling of Cynthia. Instant love is never likable or believable to me, because I don’t think you can truly love someone that quickly. Sky and Cynthia’s relationship felt ridiculous to me.
I also do not believe in instant love because most of the time it will begin fading away. I will not support any reason for cheating in a relationship. Boredom can never be an excuse either.
so true. I too found it ridiculous. There was no reality in the relationships. It was like teenage romance not mature relationships. And the funny thing was the author trying to justify Cynthia's acts.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

Cynthia and Dan's love may have original but it feels shaky while that of Cynthia and Sky may be out of personal interest. Romance with an introvert like Cynthia sounded like a tricky relationship.
Wanja Kenya
dcw
Favorite Author: Louisa May Alcott
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcw.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve
fav_author_id: 332

Post by dcw »

Poor Dan! :shhh:
I recently finished reviewing this book and I only gave it 2 out of 4 stars. This was mostly due to the romance and relationships in this book. Specifically, the expeditious romance between Cynthia and Sky. I thought their relationship was not fully developed. I felt it was depicted as hurried, immature, and not believable. I couldn't find an emotional draw to these two characters. As a result, I did not enjoy reading this book.
M_Filomon75
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-filomon75.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch weed by Zachery Wilson

Post by M_Filomon75 »

I tend to like relationships in novels. But ones that include cheating relationship I cant handle. Having your partners permition to have other partners is okay but when you go behind their back is when it is wrong.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”