Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: How's summer reading going?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Brandt wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 15:38
hsimone wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 09:58
Brandt wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 08:45 Pretty well! Usually, in the summer I am working so much that I don't have time to read anything. This summer though, I have finished almost ten while working full time. It's been such a joy to read so much this summer and I hope I can keep it up through the school year!
10 books while working full-time? That's awesome! I hope you enjoyed them all. Good luck in keeping up with reading that much when the school year starts!

Do you have a favorite of the ones you read so far this summer?
It has been hard, but I have been keeping at it! So far, my favorite has been Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. They were so incredible. I also loved reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath for a second time. Hoping to get a few classics in by the end of the year. I'm hoping to get through War and Peace. How about you?
I've been meaning to read a Brandon Sanderson for some time now, so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the Mistborn series. I was finally able to read The Hobbit, which was an okay read for me, but I'm struggling to get through The Fellowship of the Ring. I'm struggling with the seemingly lack of character development. I stopped about page 130 or so. Not sure if I'll pick it back up...but I'm really enjoying The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst! I plan on continuing the trilogy and I'm really excited about that. :D I also would like to read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I have an in-person book club and this is our next book.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 08:26
hsimone wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 08:23
gali wrote: 26 Jul 2019, 23:59

I am ready whenever you are. We can start it when you finish your current book. :)
Cool! I'll request it from my library and let you know when I'm done with what I'm reading now. Then, we can start it. :)
Great! :)
@gali I finished the book I was reading (and another one actually, lol), and I received the notification from my library that Before the Devil Breaks You is ready for pickup. I plan on going tomorrow to pick it up, so then we can start reading it!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 13:20
hsimone wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 08:23

Cool! I'll request it from my library and let you know when I'm done with what I'm reading now. Then, we can start it. :)
@gali I finished the book I was reading (and another one actually, lol), and I received the notification from my library that Before the Devil Breaks You is ready for pickup. I plan on going tomorrow to pick it up, so then we can start reading it!
Great! I am in the middle of another book, but I will finish it by tomorrow. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 13:37

Perfect timing! :)
Heidi

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 14:07

I opened the thread and will start it tonight. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 05:12
hsimone wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 14:07

I opened the thread and will start it tonight. :)
Nice, thank you! I'm going to my library later and will also start it. :)
Heidi

KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I think my reading is coming along well. I have read several books this summer, but keeping up with what I read where (Kindle, Kobo, Overdrive, Audible) is what is messing with me. I need to figure out a tracking system for myself. Seeing it will help me identify how to better manage my time. I have learned things I wish I knew a few months ago. I finally figured out how to use overdrive!! and I recently downloaded my Audible app and started my subscription through Amazon. Audible is fun. :D :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Five words can describe my reading right now:

Graphic novels are my friends :lol:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

hsimone wrote: 29 Jul 2019, 09:02
Brandt wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 15:38
hsimone wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 09:58

10 books while working full-time? That's awesome! I hope you enjoyed them all. Good luck in keeping up with reading that much when the school year starts!

Do you have a favorite of the ones you read so far this summer?
It has been hard, but I have been keeping at it! So far, my favorite has been Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. They were so incredible. I also loved reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath for a second time. Hoping to get a few classics in by the end of the year. I'm hoping to get through War and Peace. How about you?
I've been meaning to read a Brandon Sanderson for some time now, so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the Mistborn series. I was finally able to read The Hobbit, which was an okay read for me, but I'm struggling to get through The Fellowship of the Ring. I'm struggling with the seemingly lack of character development. I stopped about page 130 or so. Not sure if I'll pick it back up...but I'm really enjoying The Queen of Blood by Sarah Beth Durst! I plan on continuing the trilogy and I'm really excited about that. :D I also would like to read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I have an in-person book club and this is our next book.
Yes! I totally recommend anything by Sanderson! I will have to look into The Queen of Blood and see if it's something that I should look into as well!

Also, it's so funny because I just picked up The Hobbit the other day! I'm cruising through it which is surprising because I was unsure of how I would like Tolkien's writing, but I am loving it. I will have to see how I like the rest of the series.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
~Oscar Wilde

Return to “July 2019 Genre Discussion”