Official Review: Ramona's Man by D. L. Yoder

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Official Review: Ramona's Man by D. L. Yoder

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ramona's Man" by D. L. Yoder.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ramona’s Man begins with Ramona searching for the perfect date for her parent’s Christmas party. Angry with her father for having driven away the only man she loved (because he didn’t earn the required $100,000 per year), Ramona decides it’s time to get even. For this perfect date, she drives to the homeless shelter and chooses Harley. He is wearing over-sized sweats, an ill-fitting flannel shirt, and a ski cap, in an attempt to contain his long and unruly hair. Perfect!

At the party, Ramona introduces Harley as her boyfriend and relishes in the startled looks that she garners from her parents’ friends and business associates. But when her dad has a heart attack at the party, Harley’s medic training kicks in, and he is credited with saving her dad’s life. When Ramona shaves Harley’s beard, trims his hair, and outfits him in more stylish clothing, she soon begins to see him as more than just her homeless date.

Meanwhile, Harley is dealing with flashbacks from his military tour in Afghanistan, as a lieutenant in covert operations. Although he volunteered for “The Ultimate Warrior Project,” he was unaware that expertise and training from other soldiers were removed from their memory and planted into his. Once the project was terminated, someone who arranged for Harley to die in Afghanistan has just learned that he is very much alive. Will this person manage to locate Harley and terminate him for good? Will her parents end Ramona’s romance with someone deemed as unsuitable as Harley?

In the beginning, I thought this book would strictly be a romance that began in a most unusual way. Then the mysterious aspect of “The Ultimate Warrior Project” kicked in and took this story to another level. That was probably what I liked most about the novel, as I never saw the project drama or its consequences coming. At just over 250 pages, this book quickly became a page-turner for me. I could not wait to see what would happen with the unlikely pair and how they would fare against Ramona’s family, as well as those tracking Harley down.

Yoder did a thorough job of developing the personalities of both Ramona and Harley. By delving into their backgrounds, the reader can understand their fears as well as their choices. This effort resulted in more believable and relatable characters. Additionally, the author made the plot and scenes so believable, that readers will feel as if they are accompanying Ramona and Harley along on their journey. Revenge and forgiveness take their turns as the overall themes of this novel.

My biggest disappointment of the book was that I discovered more than ten errors. However, they were not significant enough to detract from my enjoyment of this story. So in the end, I award Ramona’s Man by D. L. Yoder 3 out of 4 stars. It was too unique, humorous, and fast-paced for me to award any less.

This book will appeal to those who love a good romance, a thriller, or a bit of a mystery. Readers who do not fall under either of these genres may wish to look further. The absence of curse words in this novel will appeal to many readers also. The author would state a phrase such as “he swore loudly” to cover any perceived need for profanity. Additionally, this novel was void of any sex scenes or graphic violence, rendering it appropriate for a broad audience. If romance, humor, and a dose of mystery appeal to you, you will find it all in this book. Christians will also enjoy the spiritual component in this engaging story.

Ramona's Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

I also thought it was mainly about romance till I read further. With a dose mystery and humor, I think I'd like to check this one out. Thanks for the review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an exciting book that I would love to read. With romance, mystery, and suspense, what else do you need? I truly enjoy reading your reviews!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

You had me at the romance but now I have to know what Harley's ultimate fate is.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wouldn't normally go for a romance novel. However, this isn't the typical romance. I love that the protagonist goes to the homeless shelter to spite her dad! And then he's not what he seems to be. Sounds quite interesting. I'll put it on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

These lines from a song will forever be in my memory ''we find love in the oddest place''. I like how unsual the book is, It's not your regular romance novel.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

Wow, I would like to read this book to see how the author combined such immense themes(Love, Romance, War and troubling pasts). I would say , it is an interesting book.
Great review.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

I always enjoy romance and thrillers. The novel sounds like a package. Thank you for a lovely inforamative review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The title and cover do lend themselves to the idea that this is a romance. The twists and turns are amazing! This looks extremely intriguing. Thanks so much for the excellent recommendation! I want to read about Ramona and Harley.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

e-reeder wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 06:01 I also thought it was mainly about romance till I read further. With a dose mystery and humor, I think I'd like to check this one out. Thanks for the review.
Yes, the mystery part took me by surprise as well. I hope you do get the chance to read it. Thank you, e-reeder, for reading my review and commenting! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Prisallen wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 08:00 This sounds like an exciting book that I would love to read. With romance, mystery, and suspense, what else do you need? I truly enjoy reading your reviews!
This one definitely has it all! And thank you so much for your very kind words, Prisallen! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 08:07 You had me at the romance but now I have to know what Harley's ultimate fate is.
I know, right? I loved the story of Harley and Ramona- what an usual way to meet! Thank you, Nisha, for stopping by and commenting! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 08:48 I wouldn't normally go for a romance novel. However, this isn't the typical romance. I love that the protagonist goes to the homeless shelter to spite her dad! And then he's not what he seems to be. Sounds quite interesting. I'll put it on my list.
Don't you just love a book with surprises? Especially the pleasant kind. Thank you so much, kandscreeley, for reading my review and for your comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 09:09 These lines from a song will forever be in my memory ''we find love in the oddest place''. I like how unsual the book is, It's not your regular romance novel.
Definitely an usual story and your song verse sums it up perfectly. Thank you so much, Michelle, for reading my review and for commenting! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Shadiid wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 15:42 Wow, I would like to read this book to see how the author combined such immense themes(Love, Romance, War and troubling pasts). I would say , it is an interesting book.
Great review.
I was certainly surprised to see so many different themes that I had not expected- just by seeing the book's cover. Thank you so much, Shadid, for stopping by and for your very kind words!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”