Taking your time to read a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.
Bookshelf Size: 0

Taking your time to read a book

Post by sadya »

I've been reading Marcel Proust. A life by Jean-Yves Tadie. Last year I found a copy by coincidence. It's the only book I have about Proust right now, which I haven't finsihed yet. I like how much detail there is in it to understand Proust en his work. I've been taking my time to read this. Because I work full time and I also became busy moving to a new home, finishing this book has taken even more time.

I don't want this book to end. It'll mean I'll have nothing to read from or about the world of Proust for a long time. So I read one or a few pages. I enjoy looking up the places and people mentioned, or the music and other works of art and architecture mentioned in it.

Reading biographies in our age is a more special experience by the way, than in my childhood: thanks to internet I can immediately find information about places and people, I can find most music peaces online.

Have you ever taken your time to finish a book, just to enjoy the world it presented and because you didn't want it to end?
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm doing that with the Harry Potter series right now. There's a podcast called Harry Potter and the Sacred text that looks at the books chapter by chapter in a sort of faith based way. I'm trying to read the books with that in mind, so I'm taking my time to savour them and let them sink in.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
sadya

Post by sadya »

It's nice to look at books you love in a different way, isn't it? Do you have some examples of how this podcast interprets certain events from the books?
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I do this all the time. I'm not really a slow reader, I just like taking my time to read the book so that I can fully enjoy it. I feel that reading through a book too quickly doesn't let me enjoy it enough. I've never been into speed reading or anything like that.
sadya

Post by sadya »

Me neither. I am a fast reader though.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

When I decide to read I take time and read for hours nonstop.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

A nice read can make me skip a meal or even miss my bus stop. When I concentrate, I give it my all.
Wanja Kenya
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

I take my time to read every book i read. Just to capture all the emotions. It works best for me.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I'm a fast reader, but some books are worth reading slowly to really savor the story. For these books, I would deliberately slow my pace down and take my time to imagine every scene.
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

Unfortunately, nah... Been working on that, though. I try not to rush through final X pages, which is what I find myself doing quite often. Moving on to the next book is fun in and of itself. But sometimes I end up feeling like I haven't sorta "experienced" the previous book thoroughly. I don't think I've learned the joy of slow reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”