Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Sakeenah143
Favorite Book: From Drift to SHIFT
Currently Reading: Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakeenah143.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by Sakeenah143 »

No, it doesn't. I am a Muslim and I have my own belief. Reading is what I love because there is no knowledge wasted from any type of book including this.
Heatholt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heatholt »

I wouldn't say that the book changed my beliefs, as I was already a skeptic. However, it did reinforce some of the things I had thought of before. That made for a really nice read.
"We're all born naked and the rest is drag." - RuPaul Charles
:wink:
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Heatholt wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 16:13 I wouldn't say that the book changed my beliefs, as I was already a skeptic. However, it did reinforce some of the things I had thought of before. That made for a really nice read.
Glad to hear it! Would you consider reviewing it on Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15246 ... 5K32J6D6Y1
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Books are nice and they are a pass time, also a source of income for some. However, religion is too important, at least to me, to even consider that any book might change it.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

aacodreanu wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 13:25 Books are nice and they are a pass time, also a source of income for some. However, religion is too important, at least to me, to even consider that any book might change it.
Income would be nice. So far I am about %50,000 in the hole. - the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

MirageP wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 12:05
I was a Christian in 1974. Then In 1975, I saw this book. http://www.scienceofthesoul.org/product_p/en-036-0.htm
It changed the course of my life forever. So one book can change one's long-held convictions. If you are a Christian, didn't the Bible change yours? I don't see why anyone thinks the Bible is unique.
I'm sorry, I did not mean to be dismissive about your book. In fact, I'm a Hindu, not Christian. I've read a few books that question the behaviour/values/acts of (Hindu) God's avatars on earth, and I was not swayed by any of them. Although I'm aware that Hinduism and Christianity differ in fundamentals like chalk from cheese, I believe faith itself is inherently unshakeable, whether in the Bible or the Ramayan.
I don't see faith in any writing. I see it as a reaction to that writing. You have faith or you don't in something.
kick

Post by kick »

yeah...becoz every thing you know about your religion it may right or may wrong so i thinj you should explore it through books and a book can change your mind set,,,, mau be
Erin
Currently Reading: Death Has a Thousand Doors
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin.html
Latest Review: Not 4 $ale by M.R. Biggs

Post by Erin »

The book does cause me to reconsider my religious beliefs. I now am remembering that I first questioned some of the church's teachings when reading the Da Vinci Code. I am open to new information and will consider reading more on this subject. The author made many suggestions regarding additional readings and websites for further information. I have also done some reading about meditation and Eastern teachings, so that is why I may be open to the ideas presented by the author. I would not say that I have changed my beliefs, but I will approach them with a more spiritual interpretation and not such a literal one.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

The attempt by the book to make Judas a hero is laughable and cannot alter the mindset of any meaningful reader.
The "facts" states here are unreliable and untested as well.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

It's an interesting interpretation and while the book is well-sourced, it does not change my beliefs, nor does it deepen my understanding of the numinous.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Samisah wrote: 14 Jul 2019, 12:12 The attempt by the book to make Judas a hero is laughable and cannot alter the mindset of any meaningful reader.
The "facts" states here are unreliable and untested as well.
I don't "make Judas a hero." Did you read the book?
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

I am not a Christian so It didn't really leave a big effect on me.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

It changes nothing for me. Saying Judas was not a traitor is like saying Peter didn't hear the cock crow three times! I however, like how the book has brought so many questionable ideas.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

e-reeder wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 17:53 It changes nothing for me. Saying Judas was not a traitor is like saying Peter didn't hear the cock crow three times! I however, like how the book has brought so many questionable ideas.
HA. Funny you should mention Peter's "denials." Never happened! They were Jesus's denials. Read the first paragraph of the Apocalypse of Peter. No way did Peter say he didn't know Jesus. The original was about being denied inner vision in meditation. It will not be seen as possible for this to work the other way around. The GNOSTIC story is the one that came first. This shows that the canon is false all by itself. A wonder no scholar ever noticed.
http://gnosis.org/naghamm/apopet.html
Thundershake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thundershake.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Thundershake »

Kibetious wrote: 01 May 2019, 04:10 No, it does not. No matter how much how Judas may be portrayed I guess, he still remains to be the traitor who ended up committing suicide.
I agree with what you are saying
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”