Re: "Humor" as used in the book?"

Use this forum to discuss the July 2019 Book of the month, "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Re: "Humor" as used in the book?"

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kibetious wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 10:35
BrittaniDJ wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 19:28 I found it kind of funny when little Frank was at the market looking at the crabs who tried and tried to get out of the baskets but could not, then he says that he is sure ants would have solved the problem. I found it such a funny comment. It absolutely makes sense, but just to even think that way, is not something I would have been able to come up with. I wonder what the difference is between ants and crabs. Are ants brains more developed? Or is it the team work? Or their ability to stick to surfaces they walk on?
This is absolutely humorous. I wonder what might have evoked such a comment.
The entire situation hides the completely out of the box....or in this case, out of the barrel.....idea that the author presents. Making ants more sophisticated in this aspect was humorous.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

ChaosofaMadHatter wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 18:31
BrittaniDJ wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 19:28 I found it kind of funny when little Frank was at the market looking at the crabs who tried and tried to get out of the baskets but could not, then he says that he is sure ants would have solved the problem. I found it such a funny comment. It absolutely makes sense, but just to even think that way, is not something I would have been able to come up with. I wonder what the difference is between ants and crabs. Are ants brains more developed? Or is it the team work? Or their ability to stick to surfaces they walk on?
This was definitely a moment where I had to bite back my laughter (was reading in the break room), just because both the randomness and the intuitiveness of the comment.
It just goes to show how the author even at a young age, while doing nothing, was able to give an intuitive and humourous observation.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 12:48
The brain is indeed a strange thing! It wouldn't have occurred to me to make such a humorous, albeit valid, comparison between crabs and ants.
True, I would have never been able to make any comparison let alone the valid one the author conjured up.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 06:23
The brain is indeed a strange thing! It wouldn't have occurred to me to make such a humorous, albeit valid, comparison between crabs and ants.
True, I would have never been able to make any comparison let alone the valid one the author conjured up.
It's kind of funny because a former employer goes on to note how unique his thinking is in his field.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 11:09

It's kind of funny because a former employer goes on to note how unique his thinking is in his field.
Even his obscure untintentioned musings are noted as unique and useful in his field.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 11:46
Even his obscure untintentioned musings are noted as unique and useful in his field.
Pretty much and it's shown to be very appreciated too.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 09 Jul 2019, 19:18

A classic success by uniqueness, ....toil, perseverance, focus, and all while maintaining a unique degree of comedic humor.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

During the course of the book, I developed a unique appreciation of the author's brand of humour and well timed musings. It is great to know that his thought process, however strange and unique, was welcomed in his field.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 08:03

During the course of the book, I developed a unique appreciation of the author's brand of humour and well timed musings. It is great to know that his thought process, however strange and unique, was welcomed in his field.
It is! It also brought some fresh perspectives into the field and made him many friends, which seems to be reflected in the easy-going tone of the book and his humour.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 20:29
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 08:03

It is! It also brought some fresh perspectives into the field and made him many friends, which seems to be reflected in the easy-going tone of the book and his humour.
I completely agree with your assessment. A good sense of humour, however unique, helped the author in many ways.
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by elizaron878 »

There is a part where he changed his mind about dying because he didn't want to end up with lungfuls of dirty water.I found that a bit funny,and the good thing is,because of that he is alive today.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

elizaron878 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 09:32 There is a part where he changed his mind about dying because he didn't want to end up with lungfuls of dirty water.I found that a bit funny,and the good thing is,because of that he is alive today.
That entire sequence was funny to me. The way he started by saying he's body might get stack, then moved yo the queue then thought about drowning as a whole before finding a new solution to his current problem.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

elizaron878 wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 09:32 There is a part where he changed his mind about dying because he didn't want to end up with lungfuls of dirty water.I found that a bit funny,and the good thing is,because of that he is alive today.
It really was. The way he managed to logic himself out of it made me chuckle.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Nisha Ward wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 15:49
Q
It really was. The way he managed to logic himself out of it made me chuckle.
What's even funnier is the resolve he had about drowning. He was unmovable....until he got there and magically logic-ed himself out of it.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 23:05
ChaosofaMadHatter wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 18:31
This was definitely a moment where I had to bite back my laughter (was reading in the break room), just because both the randomness and the intuitiveness of the comment.
It just goes to show how the author even at a young age, while doing nothing, was able to give an intuitive and humourous observation.
I definitely would not have come up eith such an inciteful and humourous observation. What about you?

Return to “Discuss "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.”