Official Review: Mama, Will I Get Wings Too?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Mama, Will I Get Wings Too?

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mama, Will I Get Wings Too?" by Janie Houston.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"The more you grow, the sooner it will happen. Just wait!"

A baby caterpillar longs to have wings like his mama, the beautiful butterfly. She assures him that he, too, will receive wings someday. As the story continues, he eats his leaves and continues to grow fatter, meeting new friends along the way. The baby caterpillar is tired of waiting, but like his mother, the other insects reassure him that he will get his wings soon. Follow this little caterpillar's journey and discover what happens after his nap in this sweet children's book, Mama, Will I Get Wings Too? by Janie Houston.

This lovely children's book explores the life cycle of a butterfly from a baby caterpillar's perspective. The beautiful watercolor-style illustrations capture the caterpillar, butterfly, bumblebee, wasp, and grasshopper in colorful settings of leafy trees, the cocoon, and flowers. Anyone who has been around young children knows that waiting can be a difficult concept for little ones to grasp. I can see this fun story used as a gentle reminder to teach young readers to "Just wait."

In fact, I particularly like the creative way that the book teaches themes of patience and trust. While patience is the most obvious virtue taught, as the little caterpillar waits for his wings, he also learns to trust the insect authority figures who reassure him. He addresses the friends he encounters as "Mrs. Bumblebee," "Mr. Wasp," and "Mrs. Grasshopper," identifying them as adults. Baby Caterpillar learns that patience is rewarded and that in addition to his mother, he can trust other grown-ups as well.

The only thing I dislike about the book is its lack of consistency pertaining to punctuation. Sadly, I counted 16 errors in this 21-page book. Young readers may not notice the errors on almost every page, but it is important that they see examples of consistently capitalized names and correct punctuation. For this reason, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to young readers, parents, grandparents, and teachers.

Mama, Will I Get Wings Too?
View: on Bookshelves
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I love children's books that have beautiful illustrations and an engaging concept. And this sounds just about right. Teaching kids the importance of patience and trust from a tender age may result in a wise adult. Thank you for reviewing the book. I'll add this to my list.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
carolpnacu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by carolpnacu »

Children books is not only for a Childrens or kids,it also for everyone..Childrne books give us knowledge and lessons in love.Baby cateerpillar is like a young boy or girl who'se tired for waiting,and like to be grow faster.The main lesson of this enjoy every minute of your life and Time is Gold
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 01:44 I love children's books that have beautiful illustrations and an engaging concept. And this sounds just about right. Teaching kids the importance of patience and trust from a tender age may result in a wise adult. Thank you for reviewing the book. I'll add this to my list.
Thanks for your comment, Ekta.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

carolpnacu wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 05:25 Children books is not only for a Childrens or kids,it also for everyone..Childrne books give us knowledge and lessons in love.Baby cateerpillar is like a young boy or girl who'se tired for waiting,and like to be grow faster.The main lesson of this enjoy every minute of your life and Time is Gold
Thanks for stopping by.
TIOJFORLIFE

Post by TIOJFORLIFE »

According to the review, this book kinda sounds boring for a kid's book. I wouldnt honestly get.
Mangata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Mangata »

Sounds like an educative book about building patience. I hope the editing gets improved. I do consider an important element in a children's book. Thank you for your lovely review!
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

This sounds like a lovely book, one that would be great for home or school. Like you, I would love to see the errors corrected before recommending it. Thanks for the review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the cover picture! Your review makes the rest of the illustrations seem like they are similar and equally impressive. The book has a beautiful message. Thanks for the motivating review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Mangata wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 09:00 Sounds like an educative book about building patience. I hope the editing gets improved. I do consider an important element in a children's book. Thank you for your lovely review!
Thank you, Mangata.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 10:14 This sounds like a lovely book, one that would be great for home or school. Like you, I would love to see the errors corrected before recommending it. Thanks for the review!
Thank you, Sarah.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 17:02 I love the cover picture! Your review makes the rest of the illustrations seem like they are similar and equally impressive. The book has a beautiful message. Thanks for the motivating review.
Thank you. :tiphat:
Angelicaacunaa

Post by Angelicaacunaa »

It’s a very beautiful book and has wonderful message, other then that you can work on the grammar a little better.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Angelicaacunaa wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 16:54 It’s a very beautiful book and has wonderful message, other then that you can work on the grammar a little better.
Thanks for your comment.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Patience and trust are virtues we all need. I even think adults need more of those two virtues than kids do. That's why Jesus exalts children. But I digress. I have a hangover from my last review book.

Return to “Children's Books”